pro's and con's of body armour,when to wear and when not..

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
(...) I was hit in the back by a single shot. It must have been from about 200–300 metres away. The round knocked me down in an instant, it felt like being hit by a sledge-hammer at full swing. I slammed into the dirt face down. (...) I was in agony, I certainly couldn't walk on my own (...) I think it was a 7.62mm round. That's a high calibre bullet to be hit by, but it shows you that the body armour works. I wouldn't be sitting here now telling you this story, if I wasn't wearing one. Thank you to whoever designed the body armour. If I ever meet them, I'd like to buy them a pint.

— Lance Sergeant Daniel Collins

(...) I was hit in the back by a single shot. It must have been from about 200–300 metres away. The round knocked me down in an instant, it felt like being hit by a sledge-hammer at full swing. I slammed into the dirt face down. (...) I was in agony, I certainly couldn't walk on my own (...) I think it was a 7.62mm round. That's a high calibre bullet to be hit by, but it shows you that the body armour works. I wouldn't be sitting here now telling you this story, if I wasn't wearing one. Thank you to whoever designed the body armour. If I ever meet them, I'd like to buy them a pint.

— Lance Sergeant Daniel Collins

look at that Swat Cop in Orlando the other day, a 7.62 Russian round to the head saved by his Kevlar bowler.

but feel free to participate,the more the merrier :)

and this one is a financial issue too,those BA's ain't cheep,well cheaper than your life,but still costs money.

Found this pack mule resting.
77253b9b4785bc998c86aea35cda2a94.jpg

I have to add that many an older guy like Mav, myself and others often look on wryly at some of our younger peers when we see what they THINK they can carry all day.

Lol, watch who you group as old S.E. I'd like to think that my +50 year old body still has a little power in the tank. I still run a mile or two a day, still swim a mile in my pool, do both anerobic and aerobic exercises at a local gym (not into that new Crossfit crap), but on our last exercise, we did a 25 mile forced march with a full pack, granted I had blisters like I had during my last Nijmegan march, which was my eighth time participating, shooting for my ninth in 2018, which would put me at 55. Then at 60. In 2018, I am taking a group over of former military folks, my son, daughter and wife plan to participate also.

Care to join our group?

As for the discussion. For me its about science, practicality, environment, threat level and heat stress. While load bearing plays a bit of the decision, like Joe SA's comment, about the stopping power of B.A. with a 7.62 shot, this is where science plays into B.A. Not all B.A's will stop that projectile if variables play into it. I wore my B.A. in Stan and Iraq (I just got adjusted to it, my gear is considerably lighter now in my INCH than what I carried then), but here is that Murphy interaction, my wound sites are not located where I wore my B.A. The one ankle wound, still has the remnants of the expended round. My mom did not raise a fool, I even wear a T-shirt B.A. to my work each day (no I am not L.E.), but because of the threats today, it is an easy choice to either wear a few pounds of gear underneath my garment or have my wife second guess the "why's" if their is a shooting and I'm the unlucky one. While I am licensed in the state of Texas with my CHL, I still have to leave my weapons in my SUV and parked off campus. Now if my leadership approves the authorization of CHL carrying employees on campus. So the B.A. is that added insurance policy.

As for the picture S.E. I guess it comes down to situations again. Do I wear that gear on a field exercise, you bet I do, and I make my team wear them (we all wear the same type of MARPAT design) so we are not firing on Blue on Blue. I'd think that the Red or OPFOR isn't going to be uniformed in the field (you should know that my old R.A. salt friend). Granted, if I am heading home, its my daily work clothes (either jeans/t-shirt, business casual, or polo/tan tactical pants). I do keep a set of black polo and tactical pants in my locker at work, but time may be my enemy, but in my rig, I have two sets of level 3A B.A.

By the way, S.E. love the tree comment, but North Texas equivalent to trees are Mesquite, not suitable to place my large frame behind. I guess I have the choice of my rump or the front part shot off, guess I will stick my rump out there. :)

Good thoughts one and all, despite the pro-and con's, until I hit the BOL...its body armor for all. I don't like sucking chest wounds, seen enough for my life-time and Mr. Murphy will not have an Evac chopper for me when T-SHTF. So I weigh the sweat equity of my team and family and will still require them to wear one. Yes, and I get that movement means life, so I want to make sure that our team is well trained and made sure my dad's old axiom applies "training like you will bleed" and "all are trained to fill each other's roles", no one member should be indispensable, when the bullets begin to fly.

being 50 right now doesn't mean I couldn't,just lazy ;)
do long walks with my dog and other exercise activities, couldn't have passed my P.E-test at school without doing stuff and with better scores than the first one.
if I have to,on comes what I have,like to think it's wisdom of life. what no evac choppers??
personally I fear,that with all hunters here,some with very high caliber,powerful rifles those rounds would go through what I have like a hot knife into butter,if it got into that scenario.
as long as I'm alone here,have to be very careful if...

Lol, watch who you group as old S.E. I'd like to think that my +50 year old body still has a little power in the tank. I still run a mile or two a day, still swim a mile in my pool, do both anerobic and aerobic exercises at a local gym (not into that new Crossfit crap), but on our last exercise, we did a 25 mile forced march with a full pack, granted I had blisters like I had during my last Nijmegan march, which was my eighth time participating, shooting for my ninth in 2018, which would put me at 55. Then at 60. In 2018, I am taking a group over of former military folks, my son, daughter and wife plan to participate also.

Care to join our group?

Did the Nijmegan in the 70s thanks, along with the Ten Tors, Lykewake walk, Coast to Coast and Pennine way

Some good analogies chaps , much appreciated. Makes me think about soldiering again comments from the old days stick out like
" First for the bad guy to shoot you he has to see you" a good advert for Cam.
" Its no use running you will only die tired" when is a good pointer for not being seen in the first place.

Body Armor has it uses if in city and urban settings but even then it's selective needs, I'm out in the country and feel no need to concern myself. At my age the extra weight and bulk along with my pack would take it's toll and another point, I'm not planning to put my family in a situation were body armor is a requirement. If I'm bugging out I need to move with speed and efficiency avoiding hot spots at all cost thus putting priorities on food, water and medical supplies as the bulk of my carry weight. Body armor is in the category of 'maybe/might' whereas food, water and medical supplies are an 'absolute'

Anyway that's my take.

Body Armor has it uses if in city and urban settings but even then it's selective needs, I'm out in the country and feel no need to concern myself. At my age the extra weight and bulk along with my pack would take it's toll and another point, I'm not planning to put my family in a situation were body armor is a requirement. If I'm bugging out I need to move with speed and efficiency avoiding hot spots at all cost thus putting priorities on food, water and medical supplies as the bulk of my carry weight. Body armor is in the category of 'maybe/might' whereas food, water and medical supplies are an 'absolute'

Anyway that's my take.

Basically thats my logic as well.

Well the invite is there for ya S.E.

Lol, Maverick...just lost about 2 pounds of sweat off the back side. Placed 80 board feet of Cedar Privacy fence up to replace the worn out and termite ridden back side of the line. Sweat my butt off, its only 89 right now, but we have a heat index of 100 right now and its only 11. Tomorrow 98 with a heat index of a 109 with the humidity from all the rain, Texoma is drying out fast, but anyone doing anything outside is paying for it in real sweat equity. I went through two rags on my face today...soaked them right through. Now off to a cold shower...TMI, I know!

Found this pack mule resting.
77253b9b4785bc998c86aea35cda2a94.jpg

Crap yeah...looks like me in 2002-03, man I hate f@$%ing mountain climbs now. Crap this pack mule had it easy, he was just carrying com, I was humping a full STOMP, a litter, my small kit trimmed down with my personal stuff and a crap load of mags. Now take a look at the guy in the third left, that one is a real mule...he be packing heavy. I'd have an I.V. bag pumping crap into him, so he don't dehydrate.

Well the invite is there for ya S.E.

Lol, Maverick...just lost about 2 pounds of sweat off the back side. Placed 80 board feet of Cedar Privacy fence up to replace the worn out and termite ridden back side of the line. Sweat my butt off, its only 89 right now, but we have a heat index of 100 right now and its only 11. Tomorrow 98 with a heat index of a 109 with the humidity from all the rain, Texoma is drying out fast, but anyone doing anything outside is paying for it in real sweat equity. I went through two rags on my face today...soaked them right through. Now off to a cold shower...TMI, I know!

My work for the month is done :) we got the new fence up around the riding area, born painted and a new roof ok ok the kids done 99.9% of the work but it was still hot and I sweated... oops, stable not barn

newfence.jpg

Silent Bob, FYI this is the NORMAL marching pace for my old regiment, its double the pace of ordinary regiments.

This one was filmed in the town I was born

The Light Infantry / The Rifles, often the First thing our enemies see just before it becomes the last thing they ever see :)

Latest posts

Back