Propane Pressure Testing--When Is It Necessary?

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Schattentarn

A True Doomsday Prepper
Reaction score
Last fall I turned off the propane shut off to the water heater, dryer, space heaters and generator and I just bought a new propane cooking stove which is not hooked up yet. I did not shut the valve off at the propane tank itself. I have never shut down a propane cabin before and wonder if I did it correctly. Now what I really want to do is hook up the cooking stove, turn on the valves and start the appliances. But somewhere, deep in my mind is this word "pressure test" which, if I recall, needs to be done but I forget when.

Is it ok to turn things on now or did I miss something? When do you pressure test?

Last fall I turned off the propane shut off to the water heater, dryer, space heaters and generator and I just bought a new propane cooking stove which is not hooked up yet. I did not shut the valve off at the propane tank itself. I have never shut down a propane cabin before and wonder if I did it correctly. Now what I really want to do is hook up the cooking stove, turn on the valves and start the appliances. But somewhere, deep in my mind is this word "pressure test" which, if I recall, needs to be done but I forget when.

Is it ok to turn things on now or did I miss something? When do you pressure test?
who ever you get your propane from can do a pressure test on the lines or you can just use soap bubbles on all the connections and make sure you have no leaks, you should be fine with doing the soap bubble test but for your peace of mind you can have the pressure test done to make sure you have no leaks in buried lines or in places hard to access.
hope this helps.

who ever you get your propane from can do a pressure test on the lines or you can just use soap bubbles on all the connections and make sure you have no leaks, you should be fine with doing the soap bubble test but for your peace of mind you can have the pressure test done to make sure you have no leaks in buried lines or in places hard to access.
hope this helps.

You hit the problem. The "guy" who would hook up the new stove and do whatever is now in the office because they are short handed. It will be at least two weeks before he can think about field work. I have a satellite internet company wanting to come out and install but I need the electric generator to work for that. So it looks like I am going to try to do this myself and catch the satellite company while they are still willing to come.

Thanks for the soap bubble test. I will use that.

You hit the problem. The "guy" who would hook up the new stove and do whatever is now in the office because they are short handed. It will be at least two weeks before he can think about field work. I have a satellite internet company wanting to come out and install but I need the electric generator to work for that. So it looks like I am going to try to do this myself and catch the satellite company while they are still willing to come.

Thanks for the soap bubble test. I will use that.
Just make sure you check all the brass fittings good , flare fittings are responsible for most leaks.

I thought I had a gas leak in the furnace so I bought a flammable gas/CO wall alarm, and one of these doohickies:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0871KX5MF
41Ax+PpiglL._AC_.jpg

It will sniff out a leak! You first set the sensitivity to the max (for testing entire rooms) and then decrease it as you close in on the source. My "gas leak" was a banana peel in the waste basket next to my bed, LMAO!

Ripening fruit, especially bananas, emit ethylene gas. That's why you hang up bananas so the ethylene can dissipate. This thing was able to detect the ethylene coming from the banana peel!

Latest posts

Back