Prolonging eggs

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lindy

Reaction score
Someone told me if you coat eggs with oil they last longer. Is that true? If so, is there a specific kind of oil that works best, (olive oil or veggie oil etc.) How much longer will this keep an egg?
Never to old to learn, thanks for any wisdom! ~Lindy

yes there is a way to do that...and here's 3 links about it..might want to click the 3rd and read it..there's one episode in doomsday preppers show where someone did that.but they did the short version.any how.i hope the 3 links helps out.the 4th link will take you the 1st 3 links ad others as well..

http://www.preparednesspro.com/safely-preserving-eggs

http://www.preparednesspro.com/more-tips-for-preserving-eggs

http://www.offthegridnews.com/2012/03/05/preserving-eggs-for-the-long-term/

https://www.google.com/search?source=ig&hl=en&rlz=&=&q=putting+oil+on+eggs+to+preserve+them+&oq=puting+oil+on+eggs&gs_l=igoogle.1.0.0i13j0i13i30j0i8i13i30l3.1867475.1878715.0.1882158.18.16.0.0.0.0.956.1814.6-2.2.0...0.0...1ac.1.12.igoogle.Z4sesQGOxqA

I was gonna try it to see how well eggs last. What I have read so far says you use mineral oil to coat the eggs and once a month flip them (discarding any that are rotten-can tell by the smell)...claimed they will last 9 months or so without refrigeration

i think the 9 months with no refrigation might be in a storm celler or basement seeing how it's at least some what cool in those area..and mineral oils is what i've heard when when it caomes to preserveing eggs..on acount that's like as if the egg is still in the chciken

Unless I misunderstood (which is a good possibility) one of the sites said you could use store bought eggs to be coated with the mineral oil, the other said they had to be fresh within 24 hours to use the. I mineral oil. So I will look into this more. Thank you for the site information mr. jimLe. ~Lindy

your welcome...if you get farm fresh..then you might try 9 months..and as for store bought goes..id go ahead and try them..(BUT) check them out every 2 to 3 weeks..that way you'll know how long they'll last..that goes for farm fresh and store bought alike...

your welcome...if you get farm fresh..then you might try 9 months..and as for store bought goes..id go ahead and try them..(BUT) check them out every 2 to 3 weeks..that way you'll know how long they'll last..that goes for farm fresh and store bought alike...[/quote
Sounds like a plan!

i think the 9 months with no refrigation might be in a storm celler or basement seeing how it's at least some what cool in those area..and mineral oils is what i've heard when when it caomes to preserveing eggs..on acount that's like as if the egg is still in the chciken
For many years our neighbors were Amish. We learned from them and this is how we keep eggs to this day:
-If possible, we do not wash the eggs. The membrane surrounding the egg, when the hen lays it, preserves the egg perfectly.
-If we have to wash the egg, then we coat it in Olive Oil. We stop selling eggs about the first of August and begin keeping them in the root cellar. This way by the time it gets really cold here and our hens stop laying, we have plenty eggs to last until the spring when they begin laying again.

Blessings,
Shenandoah

I wonder Iftar olive oil would be better than mineral oil like I have read about. I read you need to wear gloves when putting the mineral oil on the eggs. Olive oil I am a messy cook at best and splatter olive oil on something and find no harsh affects from touching it. I appreciate everyone's response to my question.
Lindy

im not sure and wont swear to it..but i think wearing the gloves is mainly to keep the person from geting what ever is on thier hands onto the eggs.and to keep them germ free much as posible at same time..and as for olive oil instead of mineral oil goes..Shenandoah uses it,so i guess olive oil is best.

Thanks! I'm trying to make pretzels now. I tell I understand why in the past people would come together do to baking and canning for their winter stores. I'm trying to learn how to do this by myself (physically) by myself. So many people are helping me on this site but I am a slow learner and feel like I am waisting goods to learn. But I HAVE TO LEARN NOW BEFORE IT IS AN EMERGENCY AND THE FOOD WE HAVE WILL NEED TO HOLD US FOR WHO KNOWS HOW LONG. It is so easy to get discouraged! Thanks for listening to my rant o_O Lindy

no problem with rant.especilly seeing how i do the same at times my self at times..good luck and goo furtune with the canning... :)

I haven't tried canning food yet need more courage to try that one. I am in the process of making soy long burning emergency candles so far so good...

I haven't tried canning food yet need more courage to try that one. I am in the process of making soy long burning emergency candles so far so good...
Hey Lindy-
Don't get discouraged! Every minute you spend in your kitchen, garden, pantry, or shooting range is time well spent....and I have learned some of the best lessons by screwing things up the first time!! I am a self-taught gardener and canner, my folks didn't start canning (although they grew up canning) until after they retired and I was living half-way across the country by then. There are two canning books you must have: The Ball Blue Book which you can get at any Wal-Mart for about $8 and Jackie Clay's "Growing and Preserving your own food" book....You can get this from BackwoodsHome.com website. I think its about $21 or so. Both books will walk you step-by-step through both pressure canning and hot-water bath canning. Give it a go!! And let us know how we can help ya.

Blessings,
Shenandoah

Mark these corrections in your book. They were found on her blog page.

Growing and canning your own food book

I have noticed you mention a few errors in your book...measurements and such. Could you make a note in your column of what the corrections are so we can make corrections on the recipes? Thanks and keep up the great work.

Lee ..... Redding, California

Except for the alphabetized index and yields of each recipe readers want, the errors are:

Tomato soup recipe on page 196 says set aside 1 quart of the juice, what do you do with the juice? -- mix it with the parsley leaves until they're pretty rehydrated, then pour into your big batch of juice/puree and continue.

How long do 1/2 pints of chicken need to process? -- half pints are processed the same length of time as pints.

The Amish Relish recipe needs 3 pts. of vinegar.

The salt listed for the mustard bean pickles is only the salt added to the water in which the beans are simmered to become tender. It is drained off with the water prior to pickling.

Also on pg. 150, you might like to add "pour boiling water over peppers, leaving 1 inch of headspace." Other than these, I can't think of any boo-boos. -- Jackie

Just ordered Jackie's book from Backwoodshome costs 20 but comes with the Root cellar book. First saw her canning book on Amazon and nearly laughed out loud when I saw it listed by multiple places from $1000.00-$1600.00

Just ordered Jackie's book from Backwoodshome costs 20 but comes with the Root cellar book. First saw her canning book on Amazon and nearly laughed out loud when I saw it listed by multiple places from $1000.00-$1600.00

Thats wild!!
I order 6 of them every year and give them as gifts....only this year there is more interest than ever!! I am grateful that more folks are learning this forgotten necessity of canning/preserving. The more that learn now, the less number of them will be knocking on our door post shtf!!

Blessings,
Shenandoah

Thats wild!!
I order 6 of them every year and give them as gifts....only this year there is more interest than ever!! I am grateful that more folks are learning this forgotten necessity of canning/preserving. The more that learn now, the less number of them will be knocking on our door post shtf!!

Blessings,
Shenandoah

Amazon screws things up now and again but Used versions are like 130.00 and 1600.00 for new. I put it in my cart and went to buy and it still was that expensive.
Wild http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-list...id=&coliid=&condition=new&me=&qid=&seller=&sr=

What do you guys thing about pickling eggs? I pickled eggs in the past with beet juice as a chef, but I kept it in the fridge due to health and liability issues. I am wondering how safe it would be to pickle them and leave them in a cool area.

Latest posts

Back