Prolonging eggs

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Someone told me if you coat eggs with oil they last longer. Is that true? If so, is there a specific kind of oil that works best, (olive oil or veggie oil etc.) How much longer will this keep an egg?
Never to old to learn, thanks for any wisdom! ~Lindy
well if your oil coating doesnt work out u can always hardboil-pickle-and can them!

I know nothing personally, but here are some things I've read.

Any foods that have eggs, butter, or dairy will put a person at risk for botulism if they are canned, even in a pressure canner.
Sorry, but the mustard is not considered safe to can.
Many of the mustard recipes not only have eggs, they have oil, too. Only a very few highly acid food recipes can be safely canned at home. Things like marinated mushrooms, a three bean salad, and marinated peppers are safe if you follow a recipe that has been tested to contain enough acid.
Pickled eggs are not safe to can, either.
They are only meant to be made and stored in the fridge for up to 3-4 weeks.
Jar cakes are considered usafe, too for canning. They should be either stored in the fridge usealed for a few days or frozen for longer storage.

Carol Ann Burtness
Regional Extension Educator, Food Science
218-847-3141
Email: [email protected]

Many people want to create homemade food gifts but some of the popular homemade food gifts may create some food safety alarms.
Canning Bread or Cakes: Many local cookbooks include recipes for canning bread or cakes in canning jars. This practice can be unsafe due to the low heat processing (usually done in the oven) and storing the canned bread or cake at room temperatures. Another concern is the bread is canned and stored in an anaerobic or airtight environment where Clostridium botulinum bacteria loves to grow and can cause death if consumed by humans. Usually, this canning method creates a weak seal and becomes unsealed once the bread or cake cools. Another concern is that chance for glass breakage during the canning process in the oven.

Also

The book "Blue Ribbon Preserves" by Linda J. Amendt is one of the best canning books we sell. The author has won more than 600 fair compitition awards so I'd guess she knows what she is doing.
This book contains 8 curd recipes that call for eggs. All require pressure canning and all have acidic fruit content in them.
So I'd say eggs in recipes CAN be done under specific circumstances (such as with high acid content). But I would not experiment. Use ONLY a proven recipe from a MODERN source (many old recipes your Great Nanna may have used have been deemed unsafe).
Scott Page
Owner - CanningPantry.com

Personally. I would stick with refrigeration. But if you must then short term pickling 1-6 months tops. Not for any personal experience or any eggspurt advice. But simply because I am well... a rather paranoid person. I wouldn't risk myself and family to Botulism (even a small chance) over something that I don't really "have" to can. Calculated risk on this for me is... I don't "have" to have pickled eggs canned for long periods. (short term is fine) There are other safer options.

Just my 2 cents. Still love to hear other peoples experience and advice!

Also

Personally. I would stick with refrigeration. But if you must then short term pickling 1-6 months tops. Not for any personal experience or any eggspurt advice. But simply because I am well... a rather paranoid person. I wouldn't risk myself and family to Botulism (even a small chance) over something that I don't really "have" to can. Calculated risk on this for me is... I don't "have" to have pickled eggs canned for long periods. (short term is fine) There are other safer options.

no you can buy pickled eggs at any store they can be pickled and will keep a long long time

no you can buy pickled eggs at any store they can be pickled and will keep a long long time
Yes you can buy pickled eggs that will keep.
Companies irradiate them and use preservatives. I don't know but I don't think that is viable in home-canning.

Also

You can pickle eggs. I keep several jars in the pantry all the times as my boys love em! They are quite easy to pickle.
And yes Lindy, you can store eggs for many months in a cool environment. The eggs you buy at your local grocery store average 4-6 months old by the time you purchase them anyway!! The ideal way to keep eggs is not to wash the egg as the membrane covering the egg when the hen lays it will preserve it best. However, if you must wash the egg, then coat it with olive oil. We stop selling eggs around the first of August and begin to keep our eggs, this way by the time it gets cold here and our hens stop laying, we will have plenty of eggs to hold us over until the hens begin laying again in the spring. We do keep them in the root cellar. In all these years, haven't gotten a bad egg yet.

Blessings,
Shenandoah

my sister pickles her own eggs..and if im correct.she's gone into bisness for her self.it's kinda like canning other foods.thier good and safe as long as the lid seals shut and stays that way.but once opened.i'd keep that jar in fridge untill all eggs are eaten just to be on the safe side..i have been in convenance stores and beer stores where they have a jar of them on the counter so ppl will buy how ever many they want to..but i dont know if thier left out on counter all night or not..

my sister pickles her own eggs..and if im correct.she's gone into bisness for her self.it's kinda like canning other foods.thier good and safe as long as the lid seals shut and stays that way.but once opened.i'd keep that jar in fridge untill all eggs are eaten just to be on the safe side..i have been in convenance stores and beer stores where they have a jar of them on the counter so ppl will buy how ever many they want to..but i dont know if thier left out on counter all night or not..

Agreed!
Once we open a jar we refrigerate them!

Shenandoah

You can pickle eggs. I keep several jars in the pantry all the times as my boys love em! They are quite easy to pickle.
And yes Lindy, you can store eggs for many months in a cool environment. The eggs you buy at your local grocery store average 4-6 months old by the time you purchase them anyway!! The ideal way to keep eggs is not to wash the egg as the membrane covering the egg when the hen lays it will preserve it best. However, if you must wash the egg, then coat it with olive oil. We stop selling eggs around the first of August and begin to keep our eggs, this way by the time it gets cold here and our hens stop laying, we will have plenty of eggs to hold us over until the hens begin laying again in the spring. We do keep them in the root cellar. In all these years, haven't gotten a bad egg yet.

Blessings,
Shenandoah
There is a trick to keep your hens laying year around. When laying starts to slow down in the fall keep the lights in your hen house on for a few hours each night. They need about 18 hrs. Of light each day and laying will pick up again. This tricks your hens into thinking its summer when laying is at its peak. Doing this we get about 75% of the production we got in the summer. Eventually your hens will need to molt and will stop laying for about a month then will start again.

There is a trick to keep your hens laying year around. When laying starts to slow down in the fall keep the lights in your hen house on for a few hours each night. They need about 18 hrs. Of light each day and laying will pick up again. This tricks your hens into thinking its summer when laying is at its peak. Doing this we get about 75% of the production we got in the summer. Eventually your hens will need to molt and will stop laying for about a month then will start again.

Don't have lights in the hen house! The one thing that we have noticed that helps is we give the hens warm water. At 8300' elevation and many below zero days in the winter, our "girls" appreciate the warm water. Our hens never completely stop laying, but 4-6 eggs a day isn't enough for our clan! Thus the reason we keep eggs in the cellar. When you consider eggs purchased at the store are 6-8 months old, on average....I'm not worried about mine!

Blessings,
Shenandoah

I've got a question for some of you egg experts. I have heard that when an egg goes bad, it floats in water. Is that a reliable test?

We love pickled eggs, BTW. I just put peeled hard boiled eggs in the pickle juice left after eating all the pickles in a pickle jar. But I keep them in the fridge and not for very long. (they tend to disappear rather quickly)

I've got a question for some of you egg experts. I have heard that when an egg goes bad, it floats in water. Is that a reliable test?
In saltwater,yes.Give me a few min and i'll find the ratio of salt to water.

Well,that didn't take long,heres a copy -#5

35 uses for storing salt

1. Rust remover. Make paste out of 2 tablespoons lemon juice and 6 tablespoons of salt, apply to rusted area with cloth. Rub thoroughly then rinse and dry.
2. Improve coffee flavor. Adding a pinch of salt in your ground coffee before turning the coffeemaker on will reduce the beverage’s acidic taste.
3. Eliminate bad odors. Pour 1/2 cup of salt into the garbage disposal then run it according to manufacturer’s directions. Get rid of fish odor from your hands by rubbing them with a lemon wedge dipped in salt and then rinse with water. For smelly wooden cutting boards, remove the bad odor by gently rubbing a generous amount of salt over the surface using a damp cloth. Wash it with warm, sudsy water afterwards.
4. Salt soothes sore throats. A mild sore throat can be remedied by gargling several times a day with a mixture of 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/2 cup warm water.
5. Test egg freshness with salt. Add 2 teaspoonfuls of salt to a cup of water. Put the egg in the cup of water; if it sinks, it is fresh. If it floats, throw it away.
6. Clean greasy pans with salt. Greasy iron pans are no match to salt; simply use a bit of the substance on the greasy surface then wipe with paper towels.
7. Remove coffee or tea stains on cups by rubbing them with salt.
8. Calm that rogue BBQ fire. Sprinkle some salt on flames from food dripping in barbecue grills to minimize the flames and smoke without cooling the coals. Also, throwing salt on a kitchen fire will extinguish it.
9. Remove pinfeathers easily from a chicken by rubbing the chicken skin with salt.
10. Prevent mold on cheese by wrapping it in a cloth dampened with saltwater before putting it in the fridge.
11. Keep milk fresh longer by adding a pinch of salt to milk. (Great if you don’t mind your milk a tad salty)
12. Make it easier to scale fish by soaking the fish in salt water first before descaling it.
13. Make non-stick pancakes by first rubbing salt on your pancake griddle.
14. Cut flowers can be kept fresh by adding a dash of salt to the water in the vase.
15. Kill weeds by spreading salt on the ground near the roots of the weeds. This is an easy and effective way to get rid of unwanted weeds on your rock garden, patios and driveways. However, be careful not to sprinkle too much salt because this substance in excess can ruin the soil.
16. Kill poison ivy by mixing 3 pounds of salt with a gallon of soapy water then spray the mixture to the leaves and stems.
17. Deodorize your canvas shoes by sprinkling it with a little salt occasionally. The salt will reduce moisture and remove bad odor.
18. Relieve bee stings by immediately wetting the stung area and covering it with salt.
19. Discourage ants from invading your home by sprinkling salt in places where ants can sneak in such as doorways and window sills.
20. Clean your teeth with salt. Mix 1 part fine salt with 2 parts baking soda, dip your toothbrush in the mixture and brush your teeth. The baking soda also helps whiten teeth.
21. Saltwater mouthwash will treat sore gums, canker sores and bad breath. Just add 1 teaspoon salt with 1 glass warm water and you have a very effective oral hygiene treatment.
22. Melt ice by sprinkling salt over it.
23. Salt removes soot. Loosen soot from the chimney by throwing a handful of salt on the flames in your fireplace. The salt also makes a bright yellow flame.
24. Soak pecans and walnuts to make them easier to shell.
25. Lessen the starch content of potatoes by soaking them in salt water before using them. Saltwater also keeps potatoes and apples white.
26. Freshen the air in your house by cutting an orange in half and sprinkling both halves with salt.
27. Fix small holes in plaster using salt and cornstarch paste. Mix up to 2 tablespoons of salt and cornstarch and add enough water to make a thick paste.
28. Brighten your curtains and rugs by pouring ½ cup of salt into your washing machine along with the curtains or rugs.
29. Keep windows from becoming frosty during the winter by rubbing a rag dampened with saltwater over them.
30. Dry clean your dog with salt. Sprinkling salt on your dog’s fur and then brushing the salt out will easily remove dirt and fleas.
31. Exfoliate your skin with salt. Add salt to some baby oil then gently rub on skin. Rinse well after.
32. Make an antiseptic saline solution to use both internally and externally on sores and minor lacerations. Dilute 1 teaspoon of salt diluted in one cup of warm water (best to use natural sea salts) and you have an excellent antiseptic solution.
33. Make salt soaks that can offer relief in times of duress and bodily pain. Salt soaks can be applied to cramped and aching hands and feet or used as a whole body bath.
34. Reduce boiling time (especially in high altitude) by adding a dash of salt to the water.
35. Sanitize sponges with salt. Sponges can be a breeding ground for bacteria. Remove some of the germs by sudsing up the sponges, rinsing them thoroughly and then soaking them in cold, heavily salted water for up to 2 hours.
- See more at: The 35 Reasons You Should Store Salt | GlobalResearchReport.com

Mineral oil doesn't turn rancid hence why its used in this process. Also float your eggs in water to test them. If they rise to the top they are bad. If not the rotting gases haven't formed inside yet.

Yes DR this is a tried and true method for checking!!

We love pickled eggs, BTW. I just put peeled hard boiled eggs in the pickle juice left after eating all the pickles in a pickle jar. But I keep them in the fridge and not for very long. (they tend to disappear rather quickly)

I have to disagree, floating eggs are not a tried and true method to determining if an egg is bad. Actually, the Forbes-Trinchera Ranch is fairly close to us and their chef buys eggs from us. Apparently Mrs. Forbes will ONLY eat the eggs that float! Kevin, chef, says she comes into his kitchen to assure he isn't trying to slip a non-floater in on her! I devil 2-3 dozen eggs a month, on average, and out of that many, 2 or 3 of them will be floaters. They all taste the same and we are none the worse for having eaten them.

Blessings,
Shenandoah

As the egg ages the air pocket gets larger. So the older the egg the more likely it'll float. It's not 100% but it's as close as you can get without opening it.

You can preserve eggs by making them into salted eggs (yummy with tomatoes and onions hehehe)

My wife is Chinese (from Taiwan not the PRC) and the Chinese have all sorts of ways to preserve eggs. The one we like is "Tea Eggs" where you hard boil the eggs, crack the shells, and then boil them again in tea. It leaves a marbled pattern on the egg where the cracks were. LOL!, Wikipedia says that 7-Eleven stores in Taiwan sell 40 million tea eggs a year. I believe it...

There are all sorts of variations using soy sauce, cinnamon, star anise, etc. in a final boil.

They have one called a "Thousand Year Egg" that is treated with clay, ash, salt, quicklime, and rice hulls. (I think that one is rather nasty)

My wife is Chinese (from Taiwan not the PRC) and the Chinese have all sorts of ways to preserve eggs. The one we like is "Tea Eggs" where you hard boil the eggs, crack the shells, and then boil them again in tea. It leaves a marbled pattern on the egg where the cracks were. LOL!, Wikipedia says that 7-Eleven stores in Taiwan sell 40 million tea eggs a year. I believe it...

There are all sorts of variations using soy sauce, cinnamon, star anise, etc. in a final boil.

They have one called a "Thousand Year Egg" that is treated with clay, ash, salt, quicklime, and rice hulls. (I think that one is rather nasty)

I love those Century Eggs. Put a little Hoisin Sauce, top it with Mahu (dried shredded port). All of these on top of a big block of tofu.... yummmmmm!

Tea Eggs need to be eaten within a short period of time. They are quite attractive to look at.

I've never been brave enough to try one of those sitting on the counter, but to each their own!

Latest posts

Back