CB President Walker II FCC Review and Extra Menu Items

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which CB Company Do You Prefer?

• Cobra

Votes: 2 50.0%
  • Galaxy

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • President

Votes: 3 75.0%
  • Ranger

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • Uniden

• Stryker

• Connex

• Total voters

Clyde

H.M.F.I.C.
Reaction score
Even though I am licensed for both amateur radio and GMRS, I am still a big fan of CB. I always have one at the ready, and enjoy working skip.

This video shows the Walker II FCC CB radio from President Electronics. This is a 40 channel 4 watt radio that is licensed by the FCC. The radio out of the box was pushing approximately 3.5 watts. Some of the features are the NOAA weather bands with an alert feature, Talkback, and VOX. This radio also has an audible SWR gauge to assist with setting the SWR so you aren't having to get in and out of your vehicle. There is also the ASC (Auto Squelch Control) which is a kind of "set it and forget it" answer to setting your radio's squelch.

Always keep one running in the truck. How else can I thank the truckers for pulling out in front of me?

IMO, so many of these radios were either made in the same factory or based on the same design to vote in that survey. For instance, the uniden washington uses the same board as the cobra 142GTL (there were 3 washingtons, the original was from president before uniden bought it, but I never saw that board so I don't know). Stryker, magnum, galaxy... see any similarities in those? lol. And it's hard to say which radio under the same name brand is ones favorite... For instance, the Cobra 2000 base radio is so sought after that people get over $1000 online for one, but the 148 mobile rig had the exact same board and can be found for a fraction of the cost. There are so many shared boards and shared designs that there was probably only two or three CB factories in the world. Sony, RCA, GE, Montgomery Ward, JCPenny, Sears, Johnson, and literally a hundred more names I don't know about were selling radios to meet the demand in the 70's and 80's, and all were likely contracted out of the same few factories overseas. Don't get me wrong, some of these companies had original ideas and many of them produced great radios, but I just think there is more to that survey question than a simple name brand choice. And when different companies actually came up with different ideas... Take a galaxy and a uniden for instance. They do their final bias very differently, but neither is particularly bad or good. The pros and cons of each in that example are not worth getting into, but suffice it to say that survey question is complicated at the very least.

If I had to pick my top 5 favorite CB radio brands, they would probably be pre-1980's Cobra, Midland, Stoner, Lafayette, and Robyn. Nowadays, galaxy's are drifty, uniden is trying to lock their pll's, cobra can't seem to source good potentiometers, stryker just copies everything galaxy does and none of them come out of the box on frequency.

IMO, so many of these radios were either made in the same factory or based on the same design to vote in that survey. For instance, the uniden washington uses the same board as the cobra 142GTL (there were 3 washingtons, the original was from president before uniden bought it, but I never saw that board so I don't know). Stryker, magnum, galaxy... see any similarities in those? lol. And it's hard to say which radio under the same name brand is ones favorite... For instance, the Cobra 2000 base radio is so sought after that people get over $1000 online for one, but the 148 mobile rig had the exact same board and can be found for a fraction of the cost. There are so many shared boards and shared designs that there was probably only two or three CB factories in the world. Sony, RCA, GE, Montgomery Ward, JCPenny, Sears, Johnson, and literally a hundred more names I don't know about were selling radios to meet the demand in the 70's and 80's, and all were likely contracted out of the same few factories overseas. Don't get me wrong, some of these companies had original ideas and many of them produced great radios, but I just think there is more to that survey question than a simple name brand choice. And when different companies actually came up with different ideas... Take a galaxy and a uniden for instance. They do their final bias very differently, but neither is particularly bad or good. The pros and cons of each in that example are not worth getting into, but suffice it to say that survey question is complicated at the very least.

If I had to pick my top 5 favorite CB radio brands, they would probably be pre-1980's Cobra, Midland, Stoner, Lafayette, and Robyn. Nowadays, galaxy's are drifty, uniden is trying to lock their pll's, cobra can't seem to source good potentiometers, stryker just copies everything galaxy does and none of them come out of the box on frequency.
I imagine galaxy and striker expects everyone buying their products is going to mod them in someway so they don't spend much effort in tuning them perfectly.

I have the Export version of the President Grant 2, AM /FM/SSB EU UK, US, Pol, Rus, Italy etc that covers 10 and 11 meters.

Latest posts

Back