Preserving garden bounty

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

getnready

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
My first garden in 30 yrs! Learned I didn't need 3 rows of lettuce for just 3 people. I was so excited to freeze fresh green beans and corn.

Problem: after searching I thought I had perfect environment to store my bounty of fresh carrots and parsnip by placing in tubs covering with sand then putting in basement on concrete floor to keep cool. I even tried one site idea to wrap in paper then cover in sand. It's only been 2 months and they are sprouting!

What did I do wrong?

Without referigeration, canning is the only safe option. It's just not worth the risk of getting sick. I'm working on a root cellar to store stuff, but most are going to be canned goods. I know you can store potatoes, onions, apples etc. for a short term, but if you want safe, effective storage without canning, stick to freezing.

My first garden in 30 yrs! Learned I didn't need 3 rows of lettuce for just 3 people. I was so excited to freeze fresh green beans and corn.

Problem: after searching I thought I had perfect environment to store my bounty of fresh carrots and parsnip by placing in tubs covering with sand then putting in basement on concrete floor to keep cool. I even tried one site idea to wrap in paper then cover in sand. It's only been 2 months and they are sprouting!

What did I do wrong?
By the way,congrats on getting back into gardening! I just started about 5 yrs ago, and still have a lot to learn, but get a little better each year. My main motivation was if we have a disaster I may have to live off of it, but for now, I just eat a lot better.

Latest posts

Back