prepping with pets

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lilmamaKAnna

Reaction score
what is everyones advice with those of us preppers who have pets? i have a cat an a turtle that are like children to me. an on the topic of pets, those who has dogs , if you go to listia.com they have a dog life jacket up for bid, there is like a day an two hours left to bid on it if anyone is interested.

I personally include my pets in preps. But, they're likely going to have to live off scraps after the stores run out. My dogs are going to be our alarms, and our horses can be transport. I have a LOT of animals, so I know it will be next to impossible, but I'll do what I can. At the same time, the humans will come first though.

Two of my dogs can say "I love my mama!"...it's too darn funny. One of our birds (Suzie, she's a Malucan Cockatoo), has a pretty good vocabulary. Her go to phrase is, "Hey Baby!", but she's been known to say a lot of other things (and some not so nice things, hehe...) like "Time to feed the $&%*$% bird!" or "Let me out!". The funniest thing she does though, is comedic timing. Her laugh sounds like a human, and when she hears laughing, she'll join in (or just laugh at a funny time).

She's also an alarm. Officially, she's literally of a breed that is the loudest bird on the planet (about 5 decibels lower than a 747 plane, at her noisiest), so we'll know if anybody enters the house (or sneaks a late night snack) LOL.
I'm trying to teach her how to say, "Freeze ###*@&#" :D

(I basically only teach her to say it at night, after her cage has been covered, to associate it with detecting someone while covered, and to squawk after a few seconds) So far, it's hit or miss, she says it about a quarter of the time (but she does usually squawk)

She's also an alarm. Officially, she's literally of a breed that is the loudest bird on the planet (about 5 decibels lower than a 747 plane, at her noisiest), so we'll know if anybody enters the house (or sneaks a late night snack) LOL.
I'm trying to teach her how to say, "Freeze ###*@&#" :D

(I basically only teach her to say it at night, after her cage has been covered, to associate it with detecting someone while covered, and to squawk after a few seconds) So far, it's hit or miss, she says it about a quarter of the time (but she does usually squawk)
Lolol if you actually get that to work you have to post a video of it for us

I will, hehe. The sqauwking alarm sound is pretty easy to get her to do, but the other is still very hit and miss. (and she'll clam up if she knows the camera is there, so have to hide it)

I understand having pets that are like your kids

Just so ya know you can make your own pet food!
I looked it up again just to be sure, but the ratio for dog vs cat food is:
Dogs 1 part protein (meat/eggs) 1 part grains 1 part veggie
Cats 1 part protein (meat/eggs) 1 part veggie/grain

cats need more protein....depending on how your set up is you can use eggs for your cat (not 100%though)
for our barn cats when the winter gets bad we give them bout 2-3 cups hard cat food-mixed with hot water and 1-2 raw eggs....we mix it all up and let it set so the hard food gets mushy and the temp has a chance to cool down. they LOVE it
If you are planning on having chickens as part of your preparations then this can help out with your cat :)
Be sure to test before hand...raw milk is an idea as well but some cats are allergic to milk

Honestly for turtles IDK what your really eats....can you put in a goldfish pond for them?....if they eat that kinda thing
I mean you have to worry bout your pond freezing and finding an alternate food source during the cold months
just an idea

Yep, we're planning on chickens next spring. ;)
Turtles eat cooked meat, cooked eggs, insects, and leafy veggies, so any preps that have these will take care of the turtle.
I've seen sites show how you can make your own dry cat and dog food too. Seems like a lot of work though, if just scraps may suffice.

We have pets and we have livestock. Everything here serves a purpose except maybe the hell spawn Sun Conure and the chinchilla. For the livestock, it would just mean bringing up everything close to the house every night and post someone out with them during the day. I've seen how fast a horse can be butchered out by 2 people and I really don't want to find just skin, guts and ears in my pasture one day. We run a double fence perimeter and the dogs have the middle corridor to run and keep an eye on things.

Three German Shepherds inside a ten acre fenced home perimeter ............not bugging out. Eating scraps and wildlife when the dog food runs out. Keep about 2 months dog food on hand and 2 years (due to expiration) of heartworm/ flea, tick preventative.

thanks for all the added knoledge i gained from reading that!, if any one can post some ideas on double fences that would be great!!!
thanks

1st i dont and wont have a cat.on acount thier fur makes my eyes itch,pluse it appears i have a alergy when it comes to thier fur...i have a dog in which she alerts me when someone or another animal is outside the house..i dont mind haveing a bird,turtle,or a gold fish,or what ever.(BUT) i wouldnt take them with me if i had to bug out.simply because that means extra every thing that id have to take along.and that aint good if i have to go it any on foot..i do buy dog food.but she'll stop eating that when it runs out after tshtf happns.and yes,that lil stinker already eats human foods...

Well i hate to be the asshole ! in this discussion but if u do take pets when u bug out and it comes to the life or death point of starving you could always eat the pet !

thats true.but as a last resort.especilly seeing how they can alert ya of whats comeing

Latest posts

Back