Prepping on a tiny Budget

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SurvivalGizmo

Friend
Neighbor
Hi everyone, I'm new here and have being going through some of the threads. I've seen a few threads about prepping on a small budget, I feel I have something to contribute that may help some people out.

I am from Zimbabwe and lived through the economic collapse brought on by hyperinflation. This was a real SHTF scenario. Food, food and more food. This is what I think you should concentrate on if you don't have a big budget. Anything that doesn't need to be kept cool is perfect. You don't have to buy the ready made meals and such, can food is good. Dry food is even better. We have dry beans here, not sure if you guys have them wherever you are? I've lived on those for months at a time. They have sufficient protein that you don't need to worry about meat, mix them with some rice and your a for away. I do recommend getting a variety of spices because eating the same stuff everyday gets old quick, a different flavor really makes a huge difference.

After getting your food in order move on to something else.. I'd say fuel but concentrate on food for now.

I hope this helps some of you!

Water source and food are a must in any survival situation. Best part on the dry beans and rice is that they are so cheap and store really well. I keep mine in 5 gallon buckets to keep little critters out. I also grow a variety of beans along with a bunch of different herbs to season with. We grow rice in my area, but have never grown any myself since you have to flood your field. Hunny spent some time working at the rice fields during his highschool years. If buying seeds to start growing beans & herbs are nothing compared to the reward they bring. Buy once and then learn how to harvest them to replant and you will have an endless supply that keeps on giving and feeding. ;)

Water is up there with food.without it you dehydrate and you can't cook without it.figure out how much each person needs each day.then there's washing dishes clothes to what ever.then there's flushing and personal hygiene.figure out the amount you believe/think you need for each situation,each day.then multiply that by 4.it's to easy. To under estimate how much water is needed per day for everyone and everything.

I agree water is very important! We have water shortages to this day still in the middle of the year we have rationing and only get water 2 days of the week. The population grew but there was no money after the economy collapsed to keep up with the water facilities. We grow maize here which is a good alternative to rice and doesn't need as much water. Onions are also a must I think, easy to grow, goes with everything and has a lot of the vitamin bs I think? We grow what we can with the water shortages. Most small scale farming here is seasonal and relies on the rain during the rainy season.

We are fortunate that we a water source that runs on the boarder of the property and a few years ago installed a well. Having to deal with a shortage of water makes life difficult so certain since you need it for besides just drinking. . . cooking, cleaning, laundry which I am doing right now come to mind.

home canning supplies is expensive to buy to begin with.. but yet,it is a great,and less expensive route to take in the long run..i started buying my canning stuff,one step at a time..most of my items came from walmart and other stores.but yet,i have bought some canning items at yard/garage sales..im eating a bowl of chicken soup that i canned, january 8th of this year.and yes,it's still good as the day i canned it..if not better..:rolleyes:..for anyone thats on a tight budget,me included..have yard sales.chances are.you have items in your home,storage building,to where ever..that you no longer need,for whatever reason(s).sell it in a yard sale,if it's worth buying.and having..the money made from one.can go towards paying bills n all.to buying food to whatever,to buying preps..thats some of the reasons we're having one on the 1st part of may.and to top it off.that'll make space for things that "WE" do need..

for those that eat out to often,choose the places you eat out at the most.eat there less often.and eat less junk food.start buying foods that you can cook up,and get at least 2 to 5 meals from..i make a meatloaf time to time.it last us almost a week.fold over meatloaf sandwiches taste great..2 or 3 fold overs is good for a on the go situations..like when you in a hurry to get/go somewhere,and your running late..

Water source and food are a must in any survival situation. Best part on the dry beans and rice is that they are so cheap and store really well. I keep mine in 5 gallon buckets to keep little critters out. I also grow a variety of beans along with a bunch of different herbs to season with. We grow rice in my area, but have never grown any myself since you have to flood your field. Hunny spent some time working at the rice fields during his highschool years. If buying seeds to start growing beans & herbs are nothing compared to the reward they bring. Buy once and then learn how to harvest them to replant and you will have an endless supply that keeps on giving and feeding. ;)
Wow that is really nice having a water source.. and you right you use water for everything just about. A little trick we've learnt here you may find useful is putting a brick or 2 in the top of the toilet. You can save a litre (sorry not sure what that is in oz) or more each time you flush. It adds up quick! That's really interesting about canning, can't say I know anything about it but will definitely look into it! Thanks

That is a neat little trick especially when water is limited. Canning is an awesome way to keep food and if you can I would recommend but it does take a lot of water when boiling jars. Is your biggest methods drying foods to preserve?

I need to research it a bit, I'm sure there is some DIY ways to can without having to invest in to much equipment? Yes drying is the biggest method here. I would think something to do with our weather? We have a lot of sun all year. All the cheap food stuffs that are the staple of most people here are dried. The main ones being beans and kapenta (a type of fish). I've been further North in Africa where there is more rain and there they smoke a lot of the fish.

the most expensive item i bought for canning,is my pressure cooker.in which it costed $65.00 if i remember right.but yet,it has paid for it self,since i got it..but yet,i find that home canning is very rewarding.on account i can go to where i have the canned foods at.and choose what "I" want to eat.and know it's gonna taste better than the store bought foods.i've got several pints of chili.in which i find better tasting the store bought cans.

In my NOT so humble opinion a pressure cooker/canner is an essential tool.
Some wonder why a pressure canner.
Well it heats foods, especially meats, to a safer temperature than a simple water bath
canner.
A water bath is just that. A vessel that holds enough water to cover jar lids
at least one inch.
A water bath canner is only suitable for HIGH ACID foods or HIGH SUGAR
foods. Tomatoes, fruit with added sugar.
By all means READ and READ some more to avoid common beginner
mistakes.
Then there is salt curing, smoking and pickling to add jest to the diet.
Just ask "what did folks do before gas and electricity".

Thanks for the info, I will definitely look more into it. Sounds like a good hobby as well

Indeed it is.
Very worth while for a prepper.

I grew up rather economically disadvantaged. Politically correct language for POOR!.
I didn't know we were po' folk.
I learned a LOT from dad's gardening, raising live stock and preserving foods.

Indeed it is.
Very worth while for a prepper.

I grew up rather economically disadvantaged. Politically correct language for POOR!.
I didn't know we were po' folk.
I learned a LOT from dad's gardening, raising live stock and preserving foods.
I love all three of these things, . . . amazing how much money you can save by just doing your own. The only concern I have about the canning is the water shortage, BUT once used for canning, it can be used for something else. Freezing is my #1 method, canning, then drying and smoking. Potting is doable too, but with our heat and humidity doesn't last long, just a delay. Back before the pressure canner, low acid foods were boiled for hours to preserve, but this method is not considered "safe". A friend of mine tried the old method a couple years ago with every one of his potato jars going bad. I was not with him when he did them so could not tell you what exactly went wrong. We ended up getting a pressure canner for Christmas for him, so maybe that can go on a wish list for you and a couple family members can band together cause they can get a little pricey and then the jars.

very helpful, seriously thank you. I have had some Amazon gtift card money saved up and I am looking at pressure canning systems right now!

Back