Prepping - Not just for the end of the world

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

69Powerwagon

Reaction score
Hey guys, I haven't been on in while kids,job,life etc. you know the drill. A lot of people ask the question of why you prep and those outside the community look at you sideways if they know you are a prepper. I just had an experience last week on why prepping can help even in a less than end of the world circumstance. We had a huge ice storm up here in Alaska followed by a pretty good windstorm which knocked out all the power over an area larger than the size of Rhode Island. All of which was followed by -20 degree F then -40 F temperatures. My house, because I prep is set up with a generator, and wood stove, electrical disconnect panel, well pump, pretty much everything I need to keep the heat and lights on in extended power outage. The long story short I sat without power for about 4 hours before I decided the power wasn't coming back on. Went out and hit my disconnect, fired up the genny, threw another log on the fire and watched some movies with my kids. My power and a large part of the communities power was out for 3 days in temps that ranged down to below zero, it was a minor inconvenience to me but some people burst all the plumbing in their houses and had to go shelters just to stay alive. So now when people ask I can tell them, because prepping turns potentially lethal into merely inconvenient.

69powerwagon...sounds like you've gotton things set up right for the lot of you.and did good at keeping family n you warm fed n all

yeah trapper.thats so true world wide.so many folks in the upper u.s. know very well how a winter storm will mess things up for them.no electric.no water from the plumbing.no going any where in a vehicale,ect ect.but yet they wont left a finger to prepare for any of that..i've only just begun prepare for power outages from rain storms.but yet what i've done so far,dont add up to squat when it comes to what i need to do..

NO doubt! I think the vast majority of reasons to prep are real and happen almost everyday. Snow storms, floods, hurricanes, etc... The list is endless. Even civil unrest isn't really that far fetched these days, but some people would indeed look at you like a nutcase for even hinting at the idea of defending yourself in that situation.

I agree with you entirely. You can definitely explain your prepping without sounding like a nut. The bulk of prepping reasons are indeed rational. The way you put it makes perfect sense, too. You have an actual situation that people in your area can relate to when they hear it. If someone chooses to move on without making changes and getting ready for these instances, then they have made a conscious decision to shorten their life spans or quality of life.

NO doubt! I think the vast majority of reasons to prep are real and happen almost everyday. Snow storms, floods, hurricanes, etc... The list is endless. Even civil unrest isn't really that far fetched these days, but some people would indeed look at you like a nutcase for even hinting at the idea of defending yourself in that situation.

I agree with you entirely. You can definitely explain your prepping without sounding like a nut. The bulk of prepping reasons are indeed rational. The way you put it makes perfect sense, too. You have an actual situation that people in your area can relate to when they hear it. If someone chooses to move on without making changes and getting ready for these instances, then they have made a conscious decision to shorten their life spans or quality of life.

The problem is not usually in the way you explain it but rather in the mentality of the people you are talking to. No matter how you are explaining it, automatically they will say "Doomsday", "Apocalypse", "You watch too much NatGeo", yada yada yada... then the conversation gets lost.

Sometimes, it is like talking to a brick wall. Even if you mention super typhoons like Yolanda (Haiyan), massive earthquakes, etc., they still say that no matter what you do, things will be destroyed and no planning can suffice (duh?!)...

I have given up convincing people but rather just be proud that am a prepper and discuss with co-preppers about prepping.

Latest posts

Back