Prepping for your Neighbors

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Would you try to get your neighbors into prepping?

• YES but let them know where you stand

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • NO let them fend for themselves I got plenty of ammo

Votes: 7 35.0%
  • Maybe but only the ones I like.

Votes: 9 45.0%

• Total voters
the welfare types wont survive for long when their financial lifeline is cut off.
If the SHTF, wouldn't everybody's financial lifeline be cut out? Unfortunately, I have to live off Disability making an extra few bucks here and there. Believe me, it really sucks being mostly dependent on the government for your income, but I have no choice. That's why I Prep, save, conserve and try to make money on the side. And yes, it is embarrassing but not a thing I can do about it!

There is a lot of folks here on disability that really don’t deserve it, that’s the ones that I have a problem with. People that can do anything they want except work, I don’t have a problem with anyone who really need it and I would help them any way could but the system is broken. I have a friend that was 53 when he became disabled, he was bush hogging when a tree limb broke out and fell breaking his back in several places, he had 4 operations but can’t hardly walk . It took him 3 years with a lawyer to get his started . Those are the people that really need it. Don’t be embarrassed about needing it simpleman, things happen in life sometimes that are out of our control.

There is a lot of folks here on disability that really don’t deserve it, that’s the ones that I have a problem with. People that can do anything they want except work, I don’t have a problem with anyone who really need it and I would help them any way could but the system is broken. I have a friend that was 53 when he became disabled, he was bush hogging when a tree limb broke out and fell breaking his back in several places, he had 4 operations but can’t hardly walk . It took him 3 years with a lawyer to get his started . Those are the people that really need it. Don’t be embarrassed about needing it simpleman, things happen in life sometimes that are out of our control.

Agreed. Charity is fine for those who really need it. My next door neighbor and his girly friend are both fit as a fiddle, but they are too lazy to work, so the Peoples Republik of Kalifornia pays them generously NOT to work. :mad: In fact, he just bought 3 new motorcycles and a trailer using welfare money he gets for having 3 kids.:mad::mad:

One of my neighbors drinks like a fish , stays on the road so much the engine on her car never gets cold, they go to savanna, Gatlinburg and anyw they want too. She found a doctor that would help her get disability for depression and was granted 80% disability for that. Bull , I’m depressed too but I get my butt up and go to work every day , one day I may need it but I wasn’t raised without a backbone and as long as I can work I will. If some one can’t work then they truly need it then I’m all for it.

Agreed. Charity is fine for those who really need it. My next door neighbor and his girly friend are both fit as a fiddle, but they are too lazy to work, so the Peoples Republik of Kalifornia pays them generously NOT to work. :mad: In fact, he just bought 3 new motorcycles and a trailer using welfare money he gets for having 3 kids.:mad::mad:

Hang on right there. Disability is NOT 'charity'. True Charity is freely given, SSI is taken at the barrel of a gun by the gov't. I've said this before, the key step to turning our country around is the elimination of every form of gov't 'welfare'. There was plenty of private charity to support the truly needy. Able bodied people who refuse to work will reconsider when they get hungry enough.

Simpleman, I'm not making an attack against you personally. We all know people who cheat their way to SSI (disability). Enough. End it all.

BTW, this 'help your neighbor' sounds an awful like being forced to pay taxes to pay people to not have to work. Tastes a bit bitter to me.
I think if you have like-minded neighbors then it makes sense to work together, or if there is someone who is elderly or disabled to help them. But people who have chosen not to prepare when they had the chance, and are not able to contribute something in trade? It reminds me of a story in the Bible that Jesus told about the people who didn't bring any oil for their lamps and then asked to borrow some, of course were told no, then ended up getting left out when they had to go look for where they could buy it. In SHTF, unfortunately getting left out will mean for many people not surviving.
I have a neighbor hippie and he grows all his own veggies and stuff. He has some nice set ups he made and his growing ability is great! He has even come over and helped me with my garden and even gave me plants and stuff! He is also helping me get my garden ready for next ear and has offered to help plant and such. Cool guy, I never asked or talked about gardening, he just offered and helped!
These are the kind of neighbors people might want to work with. Team up with people who have useful skills to offer. Supplies will only last so long.

if you are like me,,,,you dress down,,,let the old place look grown up and drive a old truck,,,,that way you don't have to worry about the neighbors wanting what you have,,,,,in fact if you do it well enough they worry about if you are ok,,,,,mine check on me all the time
you sneeky one 😂😂

If I know that my neighbor is prepared and has good skills and we get along well I will network with him. But if someone calls me an anxious idiot or naysayer and whistles about any kind of preparation, I will never help him, even if he has nothing.
In the past I had to go through some things and I have learned a lot from the situation, you can read from people, not everything but a lot, but if someone comes to me in a funny way, I have no scruples to reject him coldly in case of a case, if it has to be with force even if I prefer not to let it come to that.
If it comes to a crisis my priority is to bury myself for two or three weeks and then many of these TV zombies who never in their lives prepare for anything and always think that the state will help us then finally get off this earth. If you survive this time you will only find people who are prepared.
Good is also always when you have something that the other does not have and so a good business is created, whether it is then the neighbor or someone else that does not matter then any more.

If I know that my neighbor is prepared and has good skills and we get along well I will network with him. But if someone calls me an anxious idiot or naysayer and whistles about any kind of preparation, I will never help him, even if he has nothing.
In the past I had to go through some things and I have learned a lot from the situation, you can read from people, not everything but a lot, but if someone comes to me in a funny way, I have no scruples to reject him coldly in case of a case, if it has to be with force even if I prefer not to let it come to that.
If it comes to a crisis my priority is to bury myself for two or three weeks and then many of these TV zombies who never in their lives prepare for anything and always think that the state will help us then finally get off this earth. If you survive this time you will only find people who are prepared.
Good is also always when you have something that the other does not have and so a good business is created, whether it is then the neighbor or someone else that does not matter then any more.

2 or 3 weeks? That will be the start of when things start going bad. It might peak in 2-5 months. And the 'majority' of these leeches probably won't subside until a year later.

In Europe, about 80% of the inhabitants are not prepared for anything and most of them sit after two days in front of an empty cupboard. Here, many people buy only their dinner and breakfast every day in the evening, except those who live in remote areas.
If there is a blackout here, I estimate that at least 70% of the population will not survive three weeks if there is no help. In large parts of Europe people are mostly effeminate and believe everything the government tells on TV.

2 or 3 weeks? That will be the start of when things start going bad. It might peak in 2-5 months. And the 'majority' of these leeches probably won't subside until a year later.

the average home has about 2 weeks of food - you start seeing these people go down at about month >>> there's many that are 100% take-out and that didn't change even with the Virus coming to their door delivering their food >>> they won't be seeing the majority starve to death ...

Recently I visited two large British cities to help a friends daughter find an apartment to live in. I was stunned to see how small the kitchen areas (cannot call them kitchens) actually are in these modern two bedroom apartments. You can get a single under the counter fridge in but not a fridge freezer. You can get a front loading washing macine in but not a tumble drier or dish washer. Total wall cupboard space was 2meters long, 600mm high, 300 mm deep. Put pots, plates and pans in one and food in the other. Bit of storage under the sink unit for cleaning materiels and thats the kitchen, Micowave would have to join kettle / coffee machine on the worktop as the stud walls could not carry the weight of a bracket mounted microwave. The cooker was normally two or three gas ring hob but no oven. You could not keep more than 5 days food for two people in the apartment. Bathroom was basically a shower room, with WC and sink, no room for a bath or storage for towls etc.

Much of our modern larger towns and cities new build property could never sustain a prepper in any meaningful way, EG garages only 1ft wider than the average car so you cannot get in or out of the vehicle. no fireplaces or chimneys for stoves if you wanted one.

I also noted the urban trend / fashion / need??? of having to leave the numerous city center apartment blocks to eat and drink as most have cafes, 24/7s etc on the ground floor where the residents go for food because its more convenient / neccessary than trying to cook at home.

My son recently bought a condo like that. Kitchen just large enough to turn around in, hardly any counter space at all. His dining table is on the balcony, which is enclosed. Everywhere he shops within two blocks, and he never cooks, just eats out. Hell, he won't even make his own damn coffee, buys it in a coffee shop across the street.

And it's not because that's all he can afford, he makes enough money to buy a real house. He just likes it that way.

I can't stand it.

the average home has about 2 weeks of food - you start seeing these people go down at about month >>> there's many that are 100% take-out and that didn't change even with the Virus coming to their door delivering their food >>> they won't be seeing the majority starve to death ...

But imagine NYC. They don't have 3 days of food in the entire city. And imagine after only a few hours without water what it'll be like. The smell... Many would die in-place. 75% won't make it to the edge of the city.

And kitchens? I think I counted over 10 circuit breakers dedicated to my wife's kitchen alone. All of these are on their own breaker: disposal, fridge, microwave, electric oven/stove, lights, dishwasher. And at least 5 dedicated to groups of outlets. At least 35 ft of under cabinet storage. Master bedroom has 3 walk-in closets, about 6x10ft (his, hers, and 'shared'). These tiny houses would fit into just the closets in my master bedroom... oh heck no!

Hang on right there. Disability is NOT 'charity'. True Charity is freely given, SSI is taken at the barrel of a gun by the gov't. I've said this before, the key step to turning our country around is the elimination of every form of gov't 'welfare'. There was plenty of private charity to support the truly needy. Able bodied people who refuse to work will reconsider when they get hungry enough.

Simpleman, I'm not making an attack against you personally. We all know people who cheat their way to SSI (disability). Enough. End it all.
No problem, I know a few, and have seen many, that cheat the system and make people like me look bad. The ones that cut in front of me to get the handicap parking spot, then get out of the car and Run into the store? While I have to park down the lot and hobble to the store. Between my back and foot I need a cane and still grimace with each step, but I least try to do things. Never could just sit around. I get so pissed standing line at the store while the person in front, wearing a necklace or whatever, more expensive than my car, pays with food stamps then leaves in a brand new Mercedes, BMW or whatever! So I get where you are coming from and agree whole heartedly! If they stopped all that the unemployment rate would be zero when those people will either die from starvation or go to work!

80% of the UK population now live in big cities or large urban centres with supermarkets open 24/7, you can go shopping at 3 or 4 in the morning if you have a mind too.
most modern houses do not have enough storage, maybe 3 kitchen cabinets and a hole under the stairs thats about it, so most people dont have a larder only what they can get into the kitchen cabinets which is probably no more that chips and chocolate.
once the power goes off and the deliveries stop to the stores they'll be lucky if they survive longer than a couple of weeks, once the water tap goes dry more like 2 DAYS.

My son recently bought a condo like that. Kitchen just large enough to turn around in, hardly any counter space at all. His dining table is on the balcony, which is enclosed. Everywhere he shops within two blocks, and he never cooks, just eats out. Hell, he won't even make his own damn coffee, buys it in a coffee shop across the street.

And it's not because that's all he can afford, he makes enough money to buy a real house. He just likes it that way.

I can't stand it.

My son is looking for his first house and asking for help and advice in buying one. He showed me one a few weeks ago over £200K , no fireplace, no chimney, undersize garage and only electric heating. I told him hell would freeze over before I help him by that place. We get quite a few power cuts up here that can last 24 hours, that type of house would have No heat, No light, No hot water, No working cooker or fridge and the fancy solar array on the roof feeds into the national grid not directly powering the house so it would also be useless in a power cut. Told him to switch on and start thinging a bit more.

80% of the UK population now live in big cities or large urban centres with supermarkets open 24/7, you can go shopping at 3 or 4 in the morning if you have a mind too.
most modern houses do not have enough storage, maybe 3 kitchen cabinets and a hole under the stairs thats about it, so most people dont have a larder only what they can get into the kitchen cabinets which is probably no more that chips and chocolate.
once the power goes off and the deliveries stop to the stores they'll be lucky if they survive longer than a couple of weeks, once the water tap goes dry more like 2 DAYS.

Most grocery stores have about 2-3 days 'supply' of normal goods on the shelves in normal times. Or about 30 minutes worth of 'looting', whichever comes first.

Latest posts

Back