Prepping for small town city slickers

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Randolph

Reaction score
Father's side of the family goes back to the early days years before Michigan became a state. Mother's side, a scout for Daniel Boone settling SE Kentucky.

No matter how prepared farmers and homesteaders were back then, there was always the need to hightail back to the fort in the time of trouble.

Today, us small town city slickers will have an important role, all but forgotten in modern times.

You lost me. What would the city slickers roll be in SHTF?

You lost me. What would the city slickers roll be in SHTF?

If the small towns survive intact, they would be hubs of trade and places where skilled craftsman (blacksmiths, carpenters, etc.) could work in relative safety (compared to the big city cesspools and completely rural areas)

Not many mutual fund managers I imagine, LOL.

"if the small towns survive intact"....unlikely, everywhere will be affected.
self sufficiency/self reliance, emphasis on the "self", if you cant grow it, raise it, make it or repair it yourself you wont have it.
relying on others for something or a skill we lack post collapse is like relying on the government, it aint going to happen.
prepare and plan now afterwards will be too late.

Last edited:
Several of my uncles and cousins have fun by finding old settlement sites from as far back as the eighteenth century to scan with metal detectors. Most of the settlements are now in state and federal parks and take some bushwacking to get to, but most of them still have what attracted settlers to them originally, a good water source and land you can grow food on. The buildings are usually rotted away but many have river rock chimneys for cooking and heating that are still functional. Far enough away from settled areas to be hard to find but not too difficult to get there if you know where you're going.
Probably lots of sites like them east of the Mississip.

Most small towns here have no localaly owned busnesses. One dollar store and a convience/gas station, then the closed food stores and dry goods stores. By FDA guidelines most of New Mexico is a food desert, no raw vegtables or food available. The dollar stores have pushed out local grocery stores. Same through most of West Texas.

Most small towns here have no localaly owned busnesses. One dollar store and a convience/gas station, then the closed food stores and dry goods stores. By FDA guidelines most of New Mexico is a food desert, no raw vegtables or food available. The dollar stores have pushed out local grocery stores. Same through most of West Texas.
Around here it depends on whether you are located on or near an Interstate Highway. If so, you'll have big chain stores, restaurants, and gas stations, even out in the middle of nowhere. If not, most things will be locally owned. If you are on a major US Highway, but not an Interstate, you'll have a mix of chain stores and locally owned stores.

We have a hardware store, a thrift store, a Christian store, and an Amish run salvage grocery store (it's small). We have a gas pump that is unmanned and uncovered. Diesel or one type of unleaded. Get the swipe card from the company and a pin number to use and get a bill in the mail for whatever you take.
We also have a grade school, grades Kinder to 8th with about 40 students.

the local corner store here is owned by co-op which is one of the big supermarket chains, mostly has small convenience stores rather than huge superstores, apart from that all the local stores are individually owned even the gas station.

https://civildefensemanual.com/
Screen-Shot-2021-01-10-at-11.12.11-AM.png

"Crow fodder"

LOL!

That's how I see preppers hiding out in the boonies. But we will just have to wait and see when we are put to the test of real life SHTF.

When I joined this forum three years ago, I was living in a trailer park. New to NE Oklahoma, and needed to learn about the region. Limited funds, not a whole lot of options.

Now I live in a small town surrounded 20 miles in all directions, ranches and others getting away from the hoards.

Crow fodder.

Depends on one's perspective.

The small town not far from me has a small grocer, feed/farm store, gas station/ mechanic/tires, bank , small medical clinic manned by a nurse practitioner locally born and raised, funeral home and small pharmacy, mennonite farm stand, local diner and a winery. Every single business locally owned but small. Not a chain store in sight. Remnants of what was once a coal mining community before the mine ran out years ago.

"Crow fodder"

LOL!

That's how I see preppers hiding out in the boonies. But we will just have to wait and see when we are put to the test of real life SHTF.

When I joined this forum three years ago, I was living in a trailer park. New to NE Oklahoma, and needed to learn about the region. Limited funds, not a whole lot of options.

Now I live in a small town surrounded 20 miles in all directions, ranches and others getting away from the hoards.

Crow fodder.

Depends on one's perspective.

If SHTF, our JIT/BAU system fails then so does the fuel supply.
Suddenly, what was a 10 minute drive is now a all day hike.

The very edge of the next major town is about 10 miles away, over very hilly terrain. The town center is more like 15 miles maybe closer to 20 miles.
If there is trouble out here, I am not expecting to run for town. As it is, being this far out, we know if we call 911, the local volunteer fire department will get here sooner than LEOs. Not a slight against LE. Just fact of the matter.

We generally see those in town as the more likely greater threat. Some flunky bureaucrat in town will assume our crops are theirs, our livestock are theirs to feed all those useless eaters in town.
Even if they still do have fuel, contrary to what Hollywood would have you believe, you do not need explosives to drop a bridge. Unless their vehicles can suddenly grow wings, they are going to have to hump it on foot.
That is a long way.

Can not think of a lot of what town would have in a SHTF situation that would compel me to make the trip to town.

Latest posts

Back