Prepping for keto and diabetes

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rachaelk

Reaction score
What would you prep for food if you are following a strict low carb diet? I was diagnosed with diabetes after getting covid....but I dont trust pharmaceuticals...so I am controlling with diet and herbs and am healing. I have a lot of rice...beans....pasta....and canned goods. My husband and I both just did a cash out reri and have cash to spend on preps. But I cant eat pasta rice beans lentils without raising my sugar and getting sick. I have prepped nuts olives pickles and lots of no sugar home canned stuff. Canned chicken and tuna too and freeze dried veggies in number 10 cans. Jerky and cheese are a bit too expensive. Plus everyone just eats them up. I have a bunch of sugar free protein shake mix. We have unlimited eggs and I have a lot of wild edible plant knowledge in my brain. What else would you recommend storing that i can eat to keep my sugar stable? Thanks

What would you prep for food if you are following a strict low carb diet? I was diagnosed with diabetes after getting covid....but I dont trust pharmaceuticals...so I am controlling with diet and herbs and am healing. I have a lot of rice...beans....pasta....and canned goods. My husband and I both just did a cash out reri and have cash to spend on preps. But I cant eat pasta rice beans lentils without raising my sugar and getting sick. I have prepped nuts olives pickles and lots of no sugar home canned stuff. Canned chicken and tuna too and freeze dried veggies in number 10 cans. Jerky and cheese are a bit too expensive. Plus everyone just eats them up. I have a bunch of sugar free protein shake mix. We have unlimited eggs and I have a lot of wild edible plant knowledge in my brain. What else would you recommend storing that i can eat to keep my sugar stable? Thanks

Dried beans are very good for diabetics from what I’ve read. Don’t eat them with rice of course. Beans have protein so they are a good replacement for meat if one doesn’t have enough. Raise meat chickens when the time comes and raise Rabbits. You really might want to buy large blocks of cheese and coat them well with wax to preserve them. They will keep for many years If done properly!

Dried beans are very good for diabetics from what I’ve read. Don’t eat them with rice of course. Beans have protein so they are a good replacement for meat if one doesn’t have enough. Raise meat chickens when the time comes and raise Rabbits. You really might want to buy large blocks of cheese and coat them well with wax to preserve them. They will keep for many years If done properly!
I love beans and its a food i really miss. I will cook some and try....now...while i still have test strips. Adding some fat too will help. I have a bunch of coconut oil stored. But bacon is always better.

I love beans and its a food i really miss. I will cook some and try....now...while i still have test strips. Adding some fat too will help. I have a bunch of coconut oil stored. But bacon is always better.

Regular Lard actually stores for a pretty long time. I replace mine when I see a difference in the smell.

Try some brown rice and see how that affects your blood sugar. I had red beans and rice last night using brown rice. The only "sweet" thing in it was some sauteed Vidalia onions.
This study found replacing white rice with brown rice helped reduce 24-hour glucose and fasting insulin responses
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/labs/pmc/articles/PMC3996977/

Yep. We store ours, too and had a bumper crop of pumpkin, acorn squash, and butternut. Never tried candyroaster. Squash and potatoes do raise his blood sugar, but he loves them so eats them in moderation. Ours store well through the winter. And they are rich in potassium, which is necessary.

Latest posts

Back