Prepping for children

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jenprepper

Reaction score
I don't have any children yet but I want to soon. I'm not sure how to prep for them or even if I should. I know NOTHING about babies. I guess I could start buying diapers on sale but to be honest I don't know how long they last. What do you guys think?

Oh, i'm 100% new to prepping. I've only just admitted to myself and my husband I want to prep.

The best thing you can do to prep for a baby is to prep to keep yourself as healthy as you can. The better shape you are in, the better shape your baby is likely to be in when born. A good diet also reflects in the quality of milk you will produce. For diapers, I honestly have no clue how long disposables last, cloth diapers don't fall apart except with use and you can always cut up bolts of soft flannel to make them. The downside to cloth is the time and water needed to keep them clean. I wouldn't keep any baby food other than maybe some dry cereals, any other food can be what you are eating only minced or pre-chewed for the baby. You might want to start looking at resale shops and rummage sales for different sizes of baby clothes and try to keep something in lots of different sizes.

I second cloth diapers for long term prepping! And various clothes and shoe sizes. Baby socks and hats, if you're preparing for cold weather. Perhaps a carrier? Look into the wraps, as they make it easier for skin-to-skin, which will help keep future infants warm with your body heat.

I wouldn't stockpile disposable diapers just for the simple fact you might collect one brand and your child could have a skin allergy to it. My sons couldn't wear name brand diapers because they would break them out in a rash. I bought a cheaper kind and they were fine with them. I feel the same way about baby wipes and baby formula. You never know what your child will tolerate.

If you do have a child you can breast feed for the first year with introduction of bland foods within that time period. I agree with clothing in different sizes. I would go with winter clothing because you can always cut sleeves or pant legs. maybe some medications that are designed for infants only for fever, teething, etc. Blankets are a good idea and maybe vitamins for yourself to help milk flow...there's an herb for that I think. Somebody else is bound to have a baby in the middle of a crisis so the stuff wouldn't go to waste ;)

When they are 4-5 teach them to shoot, both with a scope and iron sights, mine are 3rd grade and kindergarten and can hit a chew can at 20-30 yards with a .22LR.

i agree with the cloth diapers..pluse you'll be able to find diff use's for them once the child has grown out of them and has become toilet tranned.or you could store them in a dry area for the next child..take the child on camping trips,and let um stay with friends and relatives.that way the child be use to being away from home and you at times once thier older.and that'll be a big pluse if yall ever have to bug out..

All great suggestions, so mine will just add on here. BOOKS. They will need to learn, so get books. Old schoolbooks are best (and you can often find these dirt cheap if no longer still current curriculum.

Also, small children often require different MEDS than adults, so this is something else to consider having onhand.

Apart from the clothes suggestions above, the ability to SEW and make your own is certainly a skill you'll need with growing kids, in a SHTF scenario. Personally, I hope your children and all of us, never have to put such preps to the test...but good to be prepared in case.

yep yep... cloth diapers, food mill to make baby food, sewing skills, knowing all there is about child save natural medicine and first aid (every parent prepping or not should know how to tend to a chocking, drowning, or not breathing child or infant), having realizable reusable durable gear like cloth carrier so it will fit different ages and clothing for the baby that can last for more than one kid, if you do the cloth diapers invest in diaper covers maybe even know how to make diaper covers in case of leaks, and if at all possible breast feed because you can not legally make formula at home.

Cloth diapers for sure. But, make sure to get good ones. Gerbers are NOT good, they are for burping not for diapering. You may want to look at a cloth diaper store near you.

Personally I am pretty happy with osocozy better fits for diapers, I use snappis to keep them on, and I use bumkins diaper covers. If you are on facebook see if your local area has a cloth trading group. I buy a lot of my covers used. If you do have children before things go bad, try many different types of cloth diapers, not just one kind. But, if you are hoarding before children, then go with prefolds that are all cotton. You will need to prep them before storing them. (that way if something goes down you won't be wasting water prepping them). They need to be washed and dried 6 times. This will shrink them, giving them the channels they need to hold urine, and also take off any sizing and pesticide, which if left on also makes them not absorb urine and it will just roll off and down the legs! lol

I store them in plastic containers with lids when not using them. I have used our same ones through three children so far. I also make my own wet wipes (flannel serged on the edges, or baby wash cloths that I get cheap at garage sales and such).

I do not ever use baby food or "mills". We have never given our children baby food. We breastfeed and use baby led weaning ways.

If you think about it, babies were invented before food mills or baby food companies. So we just give our children what we think they can handle on our plates. For instance any baby old enough to eat something other then breast milk should be able to eat rice and beans! lol We also give them things like soft fruits and veggies (bananas and avocados). So along those lines anything that is soft like that you can give children. They can gnaw really well!

We also give nut butters, I know that's controversial but there is no nut allergies in our families so it's been ok. If we had allergies in our families then I would not.

My kids really like Alf's puffed rice too that can be bought at Walmart for around 1 dollar for a large bag. It is only brown rice that has been puffed, no sugar or added junk. It's comparable to Gerber's puffs, but those are junk food and a lot more money. Alf's is a whole food, and very cheap. They have other things too, I haven't tried the puffed corn cause I have never seen it at our walmart. But, we have tried the puffed wheat. While my kids liked the wheat, the puffed wheat and cloth diapers did not do well together. The hulls would get stuck in the cloth diapers, and be hard to wash out! lol The rice doesn't have the hulls! lol

oh oops, I almost forgot for prepping, instead of bumpkins I would use wool diaper covers, and diaper pins (the snappies will rip the wool covers). You can make wool covers with 100 percent wool sweaters, and make little pants and shorts with them. They do NOT need to be washed unless they get poo on them, as they are naturally antibacterial. You will need to store lanolin though to wash them with when needed. Only about once a month. I did use them with my kids, but sometimes the older kids, and my husband want to help me with the laundry and they NEVER remember NOT to put the wool covers in the HOT washer and HOT dryer then I don't have covers that fit the kids no more! ARG! So I can't use them daily around here, cause my family will trash them. BUT, in a survival situation it would be hard for my family to toss them in a hot washer and hot dryer! So that would work!

as a father of 3,clothdiapers they rule,okay it's sometimes work to wash them,but they are quite easy to use,you can find seewinginstructions to "pants" for clothdiapers,which usually stays clean just the inside cloth gets soiled and thats a "problem" only when the baby is older and produces slightly more output..
yeah,we males tend to have a problem remembering wool and heat don't mix,done it myself a few times

as a father of 3,clothdiapers they rule,okay it's sometimes work to wash them,but they are quite easy to use,you can find seewinginstructions to "pants" for clothdiapers,which usually stays clean just the inside cloth gets soiled and thats a "problem" only when the baby is older and produces slightly more output..
yeah,we males tend to have a problem remembering wool and heat don't mix,done it myself a few times
omg jontte, I thought you were a woman, It's the name that threw me, I'm soooo sorry man. Guess I should have looked at your profile.:)

no worries dear :) , I probably know some things a "real macho-man" don't, like what to do with a seewing-machine,my grandma did teach me,thought it could be usefull
how to bake,well still learning that,my uncle always called me jontte,my real name is john :)

no worries dear :) , I probably know some things a "real macho-man" don't, like what to do with a seewing-machine,my grandma did teach me,thought it could be usefull
how to bake,well still learning that,my uncle always called me jontte,my real name is john :)
And I prob know some thing's most girl's don't, I guess my folks just weren't sexist and taught me the boy stuff too.

knowing both.situations is good for women and men alike..like sewing.i've done some hand sewing before.which im not great at.and im sure i will sew again when its called for again..

I do emergency drills for both my kids 12 years and 5 years. We do fire drills, tornado drills and yes code orange: meaning they have 6 mins to get a bag packed, a blanket and a pillow and 1 favorite item. (bug out) and be in car all in 6 mins. They can do it in 5

Latest posts

Back