Prepping as a teen

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tntboy13

Reaction score
How do you go about prepping? Being teens, we obviously don't have quite the resources that adults have, but what do you do to get around it? Any interesting devices or gadgets that you've made on a budget? Also, when dealing with family/friends, how do you explain your choice to prep to them (that is if you choose to share with your friends)?

My supplies are pretty primitive haha. I don't have any gadgets, as my only source of money is mowing the lawn and doing dishes. I keep a large backpack full of discount supplies near my bed. I'm buying about 3 MREs a month from this guy at the local flea market selling the meals for a dollar a piece, so there's my food. After that, it's just things like a pocket knife and first aid kits. The most hi-tech thing that I got for prepping was a cheap handheld GPS. I'm about to get a small FM radio too.

Was a teenager once, if that counts LOL...

Just a little advice, be careful about buying food stuffs, make sure that they have a long expiration date (particularly for non-canned items) and are foods that you really eat. It would be hard to adjust your diet during a SHTF scenario and having diarrhea at the time.

The AM/FM radio is a good thing. On the GPS side, am not a fan of it, I would rather have a map and a compass. If an EMP hits, the GPS would be useless. This is aside from having to store a lot of batteries for these items.

I got the piece of crap from a discount store for like five dollars. Not really expecting it to work, EMP or not. I really wasnt thinking the day I bought it lol.

Knowledge is free, and that is the best tool to have, so educate yourself on how to find:

Water
Food
Shelter

In your surroundings, whether you live in a city, or in a rural area. Also, know what locations might be good to loot in a SHTF scenario (steer away from the obvious choices like supermarkets, or the small business convenience stores where owners will defend their store). Better choices are more out of the way chain drug stores and convenience stores.

But, doesn't take a fortune to assemble a bug out bag. Do it over time. Get a cheap, but decently made backpack (I got mine at WalMart for about $20, and it has held up better than some of the expensive packs I've had.)

You can get loads of medical supplies at dollar stores. Same with emergency food. I got two metal water bottles with a loop top (so I can clip them to the backpack) at GoodWill for just a couple bucks each. I prefer metal water containers because I can use them to purify water too, or boil water for freeze-dried meals.

May not be able to get a firearm, but I'm betting you can find a pretty realistic pellet gun fairly cheap, that will at least work for food (and may scare most folks if you need it to intimidate).

I actually do have a 12 gauge propped against my dresser with a decent amount of ammunition, as well as an AR-15 locked up in my dad's gun case. I target shoot a lot, at the shooting range as well as my backyard, so I'm hopping that skill will come in handy.

Thoughts on what I did and my experience:

First off, give your self a budget. Like 5'dollars a week or 15 bucks a month. Just give your self something so that you are adding to your gear. For example I give my self 20 euro a month (5 euro a week) to work with. All prep things come from that. While not alot it adds up over time. Addition to that I give my self an extra 10 euro every second month. Things like that makes it add up.

Second, find deals. To do this you can look through garage sales, local ads, stores, newspaper, cupons and more. Look for a good price and go for it. Remember though that while durability and cost go hand in hand you can still find some great things on the cheap. I'd suggest also that everytime you buy ammo that you out aside a box of 5 shells. Again, this sorta thing adds up. Remember, rice and beans is used in central america as a staple food. Take advantage of the low prices and grab a few bags of rice and those 15 bean soup mixs. S*** goes really bad and you can (theoretically) grow those beans (not 100% sure as I haven't tested it but I've heard you can)

Third, learn your skills. As Gazrok has said above "knowledge is free" learn what you can from books, online and through personal experiences. Put you skills to the test. Learn to live with less. For one weekend I had to go out as amsurvival situation with no gear but a knife off a cork screw and trash that was laying around. Survial isn't about all the cool things (but they do look good). It is about making do with what you have and coming out on top.

Finally, branching out. Now this one is a big one for adults, let alone us teens. Most parents think that this is just a phase and that we will grow out of it. I can't honestly say that what I did will work 100% for you because I don't know your parents, what they have gone through and what you have gone through. I can tell you though what I did. I tested the water so to say. I droped small hints. Like take the rushes for electronic games. We watched the footage of that and I'd say "wow, imagine if that was for food" things like that. Belive it or not I got a few freinds into prepping before my parents. The thing I found, for me, was I didn't need them to be 100% on board first try. It just took lots of little hints, conversations and them asking alot of questions. I d like to think I'm not done explaining it to them. I kinda hope so as it gives me a chance to show them that I'm serious about it. As for friends, be extra cautious. I found that talking about a vidio game with an apocaliptic theme and saying things like "aww man, what if that really happend?" And gauged there response. If it was good then I'd drop a few more hints to see how serious they were.

I hope this helps and sorry if I rambled (I do that some times) and sorry for any spelling mistakes. If you have any question feel free to message me. Btw I'm a teen too, it is rough but once you get on the older end of the spectrum it gets a bit better

How do you go about prepping? Being teens, we obviously don't have quite the resources that adults have, but what do you do to get around it? Any interesting devices or gadgets that you've made on a budget? Also, when dealing with family/friends, how do you explain your choice to prep to them (that is if you choose to share with your friends)?
you can get 90% of what you need for a good survival bag from the dollar store for around 20-30 bucks! including food canned goods, any dry pasta meals in the little packs, dry beans, rice! all good choices just make sure you have protein and carbs and your good to go in a survival situation . as for the rest of your gear you will need a good knife and for a teen on a budget an Old Hickory butcher knife is the way to go only 9 bucks new or if your lucky the parents or grand parents probably have one in the kitchen droor. a tin cup or a cheap mess kit from walmart only 6 bucks for cooking food /boiling water. <------ A MUST! unless you have purification resources of another type. A couple different ways to start fire -lighters,matches,flint or ferro rod . So many options in gear to carry im not gonna list it all but you get the point ! there is alot of good information here so read through the forums and youll figure it out and remember you dont have to buy the most expensive anything there is always a cheaper version ! just make sure its not so cheap its gonna fall apart the first time using whatever it may be.

I'll share about my experience as to how I got my parents to understand me. Like Tyler said, i dont know your parents, so DISCLAIMER: results may vary

Anywho, I started thinking about this idea of prepping after much contemplation. I took into account many factors that were shaping the new America, and began to realize the path were on is not a path that one can simply come back from should it not work. Like in a video dr Henley suggested, the economist said that there was not one nation in history that was able to survive indefinitely off of a currency without real backing. I agree when the economist says there's no indication that America should be exempt.
So there's the reason, the country is on a sketchy slope and when we slip, we're going to fall to the very bottom. But how to describe such a belief to your parents? Most parents are going to be freaked that their kid is capable of thinking somethin other than they've been taught, but that doesn't make you crazy. I took a very similar approach to Tyler, and tried to ease my parents in.
My dad wasn't too hard to convince, being a farm boy, the thought of finally getting to teach his sons some skills like hunting and shooting made him happy. (And an excuse to buy some more toys) I don't believe that my dad is on board with the rationale of my desire to learn, but he doesn't seem to be bothered by it.
Ok, one down, one to go
My wonderful mother, a suburban girl, was on board with my rationale, but was very hard to convince that it was worth actively preparing for. She is very understanding, so she doesn't seem to be bothered by my prepping.

Now, with the background and a brief explanation of their reactions, I can explain what works, and what doesn't.

Generally, watching DDP on nat gel will yield negative response, those people are kinda nuts and give all preppers a negative connotation, not what you want your parents to think about your new life choice. They do occasionally have good ideas, but I wouldn't use it for reasoning purposes, I did not personally try this, but this is my rationale for not using it.

Things like Oakley sunglasses that are ridiculously expensive are sometimes good things to drop hints with. "Geez mom, can you believe people pay this much for sunglasses?(though incredibly durable) wouldn't you rather have like 100$ worth of food or water stored for an emergency? Sunglasses will look nice, but it won't do much in an emergency..." Generally positive if you throw some humor in, and can make them think of some unnecessary expenses in their own life. Maybe more for you to use if you get them on board ;) I've heard numerous accounts of teens taking the initiative and parents give a budget to them in order to prep for the family.

Play to what they want to hear, but do not lie! Recently we learned in depth about the Lincoln Douglas debates of 1858, Lincoln was a master of focusing on different parts of his view on slavery. Focusing on his belief in unalienable rights in the northern debates, but shifting focus to his belief that slavery is not to be affected in The states it exists when in southern debates, but he never lied. Try shifting your focus on different points of prepping to different situations in order to use them most effectively. Similar to me playing to my dads desire to teach me hunting and playing to my moms understanding by presenting rationale with facts and logic.

I hope some of these help, I typed this on my phone so hopefully the mistakes aren't anything unbearable, i double checked it real quick. I hope that any teen that reads this understands they aren't alone, and you don't have to become some weirdo in order to prep. I'm a relatively normal guy, i still have friends, i still run track and win some races, I keep a high gpa... You don't even have to seem like a prepper, in fact it's better to be the gray man, the one nobody would expect to be a prepper. Thanks for taking time to read, and remember to stay classy. Always. :)

I applaud your efforts as teen preppers. I wish that I had started when I was A younger man. You all hang in there and purchase a few little things at a time, and you will reach your goals eventually.

Best tip I got is not to waste money on low-quality/cheap/subpar things.

I did that a lot when I was still a teen (im a college student now, early 20s)
And I really regret the amount of money I spend on stuff that I at the time thought was useful.

(the seer amount of woodland camo I bought between the ages 10-18 is amazing and when I calculated the money I spend on these things I noticed I could have gotten the good quality items I got now if I just knew what I wanted)

Before you buy anything. Choose your color scheme. (yes you think im an idiot now)
Because you do not want to buy something and 3 years later think: (Dang.... That color combo ain't cool!)

You want something cool? Search google for some inspiration.
Don't assume that camo is the way.

If you decide you want camo, look at your surroundings, spend your money first on something small and cheap if you're getting camo.
Test it out in your environment, then decide if it really works for you.

Often though, single colors like Khaki, Olive, Tan, Grey work just fine for me, and usually they look cooler too. (PMC look)

Aside from
your BugOutBag, prep:

- Boots with a B or C level rating (assuming you've reached the age where your feet stop growing)
- Good outdoor pants. (seriously? I know you're instantly thinking of those Chinese ripoff multicam trousers. but:"NO MAN DON'T DO IT!") (get the good stuff with reinforced knee areas and a raised part for the lowerback)
- Rain suit (For mobility's and dryness sake.)
- A good survival knife. ( yes your thinking you want that kickass tactical tooth knife etc. Don't kid yourself. Think of what u want to use it for and get the best knife for the occasion you can afford.)
- Self Defense weapon ( If you cannot pack some heat, get a machete, you can use it for multiple things, and your definitely not going to carry around your katana in combination with your backpack.)

Objects are cool and all but what you need most is knowledge.

- Learn as much as you can when it comes to survival things. And try it out.
- Self Defense ? Don't waste your time and go for Krav Magha, Jiujitsu or whatever is the most lethal that you can get into. If your life is in serious danger, you want efficiency not grace. Do the same with knife fighting, Research the styles located in your area, and decide for yourself which one suits you best.

Sorta just going to echo what Cerberus said when he talked about the quality of things. You have to HAVE TO pay for the good things or you will regret it. I've burned through 3 pocket knives (about 10 bucks each) when I should have bought that one that cost 40. I've had to replace about 25 bucks worth of batteries because the container I bought for them (10 bucks) broke and water leaked in and destroyed them. Money just burns away and it got me nowhere. As for the self defence: DO IT. No better advice. Don't do the mma crap. Go for the street survival courses. Find the most brutal kind that you can take and learn it. It will make you stronger and you will learn to defend your self. I'm better without gun than with one. Don't cheap out on the important things, learn what you can and don't despair, we all go through the teenage stage.

Nobody, not even Chuck Norris, is better without a gun than with one. You can't throw a kick or punch from 100 yards, no matter HOW proficient you are. I will agree with learning brutal, quick styles though.

Often though, single colors like Khaki, Olive, Tan, Grey work just fine for me, and usually they look cooler too. (PMC look)

Yep, plus you won't look like a soldier or combatant.

Probably, going to try and build a biosand water filter over break, anyone have any opinions on this? It seems to be quite effective..

Gazrok that is true. But I'm in germany and most people don't have guns. Actually there are very very few here.

Well, the good news there is, that your enemies are then less likely to have them. Time to pick up the bow. ;)
Killing at a distance is simply too big an advantage to give up.

Not bad here. Mostly working on a Bug out plan to present to my parents with optims. Not doing so well. Working also on spgetting my drivers lisence and saving enough for a car (almost there) once I get it I'm tossing my GHB and 1 of my BOB (I have 3 with unique items in them) with all my gear not related to an individual person or food bit items that will benifit a group of 4 such as a deck of cards, radio, ways of lighting a fire, flash lights and what not

Latest posts

Back