Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cerberus

Reaction score
Hey people,

As many of you might have experienced, it can be quite difficult to prep whilst you're still a student and working on your degree. The difficulty I specifically refer to is the limitations of your student room (often in a dorm / student housing).

What I wondered is what those of you currently in that situation do to prep?
How do you tackle the problem of a limited space and possibly even a shared room?
What is your plan for if you're on campus/at your room/dorm and the SHTF scenario you prep for happens?
How do others react to whatever preps they do notice?

If any of you are not students but still got ideas, feel free to join in ^^!

I study,but it's propably easier when you are "adult" and live in your own flat.
well a BOB should go quite nice un-noticed,it you have for ex a staff,sturdy, out of wood,you can always say it's for your hiking trips,shared room is a bummer,you have to trust that your room mate leave you gear untouched,so any blades->in the bottom of your BOB.

The problem with limited space might be solved, if you could team up with someone else also into prepping in your area., pref a friend that has space available and is willing to assist you and committed long term in prepping, because if you have to move your preps constantly its going to be a bugger. I dont know the costs of renting some storage space on the outskirts of your town/city, but that might be an option as well. Dont know the size of your dorm rooms, i would stick to a BOB and invest a lot of time and energy into route planning.

What I wondered is what those of you currently in that situation do to prep?

While not a student, I did prep when I was one. Simply put, I always had a pretty decent BOB (Bug out bag) with basic survival needs.

How do you tackle the problem of a limited space and possibly even a shared room?

As a student, all you really need is your EDC (Every Day Carry gear (more on that in a sec), and your BOB.

What is your plan for if you're on campus/at your room/dorm and the SHTF scenario you prep for happens?

Have an EDC kit in your laptop bag. Personally, I'd recommend:

Multi-tool with knife blade
Small LED flashlight
Granola bars, Beef jerky
Small Lockpick set (and know how to use it, or bump keys)
Folded and printed out map of your campus (and locations of key supplies, seal it in a ziploc bag)
Small spool of quality wire (you can make a quick door lock out of it, and all kinds of other uses)
Paracord bracelet
Charged backup power supply for cell phone (a bit redundant with below, but so much easier, and very little space. Note, test it out before relying on them. Spend at least $15, anything cheaper is likely crap).
Small (hand crank) portable radio with cell charger and flashlight (you can get these for like $20)
Good portable lighter (one that will light even with wind)
Box of stormproof matches (small)
Pack of cigarettes (basically SHTF money, but if you are college vs. high school)...
Metal water bottle (I got mine at Goodwill for $1)
Anti-Radiation pills (Potassium Iodide, these are pretty cheap, and online)
Water Purification tabs (any camping supply store or even Walmart)
Small first aid kit (like girl wallet sized) with bandages, antibiotic ointment, OTC meds, butterfly bandages, gauze pads, alcohol wipes, small med tape and scissors and self sticking ACE bandage

It sounds like a lot, but it will all fit easily and still with room for your laptop, charger, school notebook, folders, etc.

How do others react to whatever preps they do notice?

Don't let them notice! (if they do, laugh it off with zombie apocalypse jokes)....

Last edited:
Really, students today should consider EDCs with all of the school shootings that have happened in recent years. The ability to wrap some wire around a double door handle could have saved lives, for example.

If such doors are pretty standard in your school, maybe even a small length of chain and a padlock (though a bit bulky to carry). If I was a teacher, I'd make it part of my classroom supplies.

here's some items you might want to have as a everyday carry..each of those items come in handy time to time for me..mainly the flashlight and multi tool plier...
6da3ba0c69fe7cbd8e2e26d19fb7927c.jpg a9bbdfb99dec68b3f37ebb0930c2541c.jpg

but DO NOT GIVE UP,it's your life,and we have but one.

Being a student myself, I've thus far packed a BoB here which is a Hiking pack that I hung on the wall with special weight carrying, expanding screws.
Everyone thinks it looks cool and it actually leaves a positive adventurous impression. (score ;p )

I got room for myself fortunately and not a shared one.
As such I've been able to store a lot of canned foods in a classy looking stoarage place and Simply mask that by putting different food spices and stuff infront of them and since I can cook better than some, no one. For the very few perceptive eyes, I simply state: "I prefer to have food at home for if I get sick and cannot go buying goceries." Given that my record has been several weeks, the large amount of cans makes sense ;p

Fortunately I have most of my casual preps here too for most local/smaller desasters, all hidden in simular fashion. ^^

Luckily, I live close to my college, so I get to live at home and commute. Worst case scenario is I get caught out at school and I've got about a day's walk home. Definitely would keep a rifle in the car if I could, but you know them liberal colleges... Always making my life hard.

Will hopefully be getting more ammo for Christmas, so thatll always be good to have.

On the topic though, if I was stuck in a dorm with someone else, I would probably stock up whatever I could get away with inconspicuously. Id probably also do some discussion with them about the state of affairs and gauge whether or not theyre someone I should try and get on board or not. If that works out, then SCORE. If not, Id do what I can and get an evac plan together with my family for when crap goes south.

In your case, a GHB (Get Home Bag) is definitely the way to go. Should have enough supplies to get you easily through 3 days, and enable you to make it off campus and to your parents' house (Where presumably, you have other preps?)

Latest posts

Back