Prepper PT (Physical Training)!

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i recently started to go to a gym. havent had time, and since my wife started a new job with different hours, i can have some time to go to the gym and get my self in to a healthier body. other than that, i try to have a light BOB and ways to carry items without being all in a bag on my back. (fanny pack, thigh pack, keychain, ankle holsters.

Something's better than Nothing! At the beginning of the year, I was getting ready for Level II Army Combatives. I work from 0600-1700 everyday. My squad also had to get ready for a PT Test. So, I went up to them and said, " well guys, this is going to suck but we're going to get up at 0400 and work our asses for a couple of months." They hated me. From my tours, and being on the line with Infantry dudes, I'm used to doing what needs to be done to achieve the mission. Remember, do what needs to be done. Not just for you but for your squad.

Also, I just want to let you know I may have something that can help you out.

https://post.craigslist.org/manage/3948356815

hi,
reality is I am not physically fit at all. if TSHTF tomorrow I would find it difficult. I smoke and I am 19 stones in weight {around 123 kg}...hopefully the fact that despite my weight, I am physically very strong, and have extensive experience of bugging out on foot, around 15 years of bugging out drills. the biggest risk factor in regard to my weight is not weakness or speed, I seem to make up for that somehow, but I suppose the risk of heart attack is very real. just how long can a strong, fast, but overweight body cope with the strain??...it would be really good to lose some of this weight, but nothing I do seems to make a difference. my doctor tells me I am losing a half pound {226g} per week. it doesn't seem a lot. any preppers lost this amount of weight before??...any drills anyone can recommend. sorry if it seems I am hijacking this thread, but it seems reasonably related.

As far as losing the weight, any weight, is bettter than no weight. It all really depends on the medical condition (which you don't have to verify, validate or justify), eating habits, body type, and amount of exercise. If you can't bug out far and fast, then go the "Turtle Defense".

As far as drills, if you were to engage in Road March once every ten days, this would help your overall endurance. You start small and build off distance and weight. I would seriously consider your body ability to physical adapt to the exercise though. Don't just jump into it. I had to use a converter to figure the weight out, but I've seriously known 266lb people in our army they lost ALOT of weight. Gosh, I cant remember the gents name, but I remember seeing him before I went on leave, on my second tour, and I recognized the face but not the body. He told me had lost over 100lbs in the first 6 months of tour in iraq. His change WAS drastic though. Protein shake in the morning, very small portion of lean meat and veggies, no carbs, and protein shake for dinner. Plus he did cardio in the morning for 1 hour, then did a second workout routine with heavy resistance. It was remarkable.

The hardest part for most people, they say, is making the decisison and changing. It can be hard to commit, but once the committment is made and results are being seen, thats when most people go the proverbial "balls deep".

I do martial arts for 7 hours a week, tons of task that require strength throughout the day and my school bag weighs the same amount as my bug out bag (not sure that is a good thing)

Expanding on that I'm starting to do more push ups and crunches. I've also been doing a ton of long distance biking and walking. I hike to my retreat at least once every 2 weeks. (About a 7-8 km hike with my bug out bag)

I'm a small sized man 5' 5'' 135lbs. I generally like to focus on strength training, and cardio/muscular endurance. When I did the LV II Combatives, I didn't do alot of heavy resistance. I primarily focused on my cardio/endurance. I went against some strong dudes and less strong dudes. I realized then that incorporating a good heavy resistance program into my training was necessary. We have to be well rounded...

I smoke, I'm overweight, and I'm 44. But I'm pretty resilient, and I think that once I get active out here on the land with gardens, and building things and putting up fencing and such, I'll be much healthier for it. Its my goal to get my BOB ready and carry it when I go walking/hiking. It will help me to (completely) rebuild my stamina up.

I moved out here from Oklahoma City at the end of May, and having lived in the city like that.... well, I spent too much time on my arse. It was depressing and I'm glad I'm not in a city anymore. Being out here like this will help.

My best advice is start walking/hiking, and don't be one of those people who smoke while they walk/hike. In fact, while you're out doing that, try not to smoke at all. It will help you cut down. Thats what I do. My husband will be walking and smoking too, and I don't get it. I don't, and I find I not only walk better and can breathe much better, but it makes me feel better too.

As for weightloss, I don't know. I'm a poor one to give advice for that. I can say that I've cut my portions in half, and that way when I work out on the land, I'm burning more calories than I eat. It sounds easier than it is, but I also keep in mind that if SHTF tomorrow, I'd be in a world of hurt if I don't do this.

I feel your pain, dude. truly. Hang in there :) You can always friend me, and we'll just keep eachother on track to get healthier.

I'm in Hinton, Oklahoma. I haven't been out here on the land long enough to have really accomplished much, but honestly I'm having to start from the ground and work my way up to be healthier and have more stamina. I know that when I'm able to plant the gardens and build, put up fencing and such, It will keep me a lot more physically active than when I lived in the city. Being in the city ruined me. Seriously. lol

I think everyone here has the right idea....and thats to just do it!
ya gotta get started...might as well be today.
I enjoy working out, but I like doing chores/work at home over going to the gym or working out at home.
I feel like I am better off building my stamina that way.
....I could work out at the gym for months, but 4-5 hrs working on a garden (weeding/ planting/ whatever) will kick ur butt!!
If I was planning on bugging out-I would be hiking and biking more than I do.
I probably should do it more anyway...ugh :)

I smoke, I'm overweight, and I'm 44. But I'm pretty resilient, and I think that once I get active out here on the land with gardens, and building things and putting up fencing and such, I'll be much healthier for it. Its my goal to get my BOB ready and carry it when I go walking/hiking. It will help me to (completely) rebuild my stamina up.

I moved out here from Oklahoma City at the end of May, and having lived in the city like that.... well, I spent too much time on my arse. It was depressing and I'm glad I'm not in a city anymore. Being out here like this will help.

My best advice is start walking/hiking, and don't be one of those people who smoke while they walk/hike. In fact, while you're out doing that, try not to smoke at all. It will help you cut down. Thats what I do. My husband will be walking and smoking too, and I don't get it. I don't, and I find I not only walk better and can breathe much better, but it makes me feel better too.

As for weightloss, I don't know. I'm a poor one to give advice for that. I can say that I've cut my portions in half, and that way when I work out on the land, I'm burning more calories than I eat. It sounds easier than it is, but I also keep in mind that if SHTF tomorrow, I'd be in a world of hurt if I don't do this.

I feel your pain, dude. truly. Hang in there :) You can always friend me, and we'll just keep eachother on track to get healthier.

Having read your post, I find it really strikes a chord with me...I know exactly what you mean, I live in leeds, UK, it is one of the biggest cities in northern England and definitely does not promote healthy living. I have lived here for 13 years, aside from a 2 year gap [2009 - 2011] when I resided in Bradford. there is little to do in Bradford and despite the fact that it is a city, it is [just like leeds] very isolating. I am around 19 stones [around 123 kg] verses my situation 15 years ago. back then I was around 11.5 stones [73 kg] and very athletic...and guess what??...back then I lived in the countryside!!!...hiking was a daily thing. I think the fact that you have now left the city behind is a very positive thing, a move I wish I could make. it seems to me that if a healthier way of life is on the doorstep, you should sieze it with both hands. good luck, and remember, you are not alone.

I know I'm a little bit heavier know then I was 3 years ago, It seems as soon as I quit riding bulls, my workout routine just stopped. I don't have the drive and motivation to work out anymore, even thou it would benefit me in the future...also I have not done any work on any farms or ranches in 6 years. That's why i'm currently looking for property to purchase, so I can get me a few horses and some livestock so I have to do chores.

If anyone has any motivation or a good work out to get me in shape again feel free to let me know.
Thanks

Happy Prepping

Ore.cowboy, try mixed martial arts. You learn some good skills and lose weight. Or try hiking, you will find you burn quite a few calories

See you can sling feed sacks at a local feed mill. That's a workout all on it's own.

See you can sling feed sacks at a local feed mill. That's a workout all on it's own.

Yes old_anorak, That how I use to stay in shape lifting the 88lb bag of whole oats to pour in the barrels, and lift alfalfa bales back home weighed between 80 to 100 lbs per bale and we would get between 3 and 6 tons, a lot of unstacking and stackin. But it keep me in shape.

I left a few words out, sorry. You could find work at a feed mill or heck, it's summertime, on a baling crew.

Latest posts

Back