Prepper PT (Physical Training)!

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm old dude now and out of the military. So, I try to keep up with the U.S. Army APFT standards for my age bracket. Push ups, sit ups, and 2-mile run (I only do this once every 1 or 2 weeks lol and I'm not even passing it). I do a lot of biking stationary when watching a good ball game on tv and that burns a lot of calories. Weight myself every morning before heading out to work to keep me motivated. I actually look good compared to my peers in the same age bracket (effing slobs) as me.

I try and keep my workouts focused more on natural movements and make sure I keep up with the cardio. Meaning make sure I can climb hills and walk long distances, lift moderate weight without pain, endurance oriented workouts with some strength training etc.

The point is can I walk miles without stopping? Can I work in the field if need be? Can I outrun someone? etc

These things, I feel, will help me survive much better then bench pressing over 300 lbs or having good looking abs.

i haven't done any thing of the sort..and to top it off..i tryed on my b.o.b. yesterday just to be trying it out.and i know it don't wheigh 50LB'S yet..but yet i still noticed it all the same.that right there told me i need to get into better shape..

A lot of crossfit and running. I have also been running 2-3 miles with body armor. Seems to work pretty well so far.

A lot of crossfit and running. I have also been running 2-3 miles with body armor. Seems to work pretty well so far.

I am in the same boat, I have a Diamondback UTOC IIIA (6 lbs. ) with IV plates (8.2 lbs. x 2) and before I even think about doing anything, my vest goes on. Was so glad I got a great deal on them; allows my to still pay for my crossfit lol

lol I am uh + sized to put it nicely but I am currently on my first diet in years... I have a metabolize problem I am insulin resistant so my body stores everything I eat and uses very little of it...I am currently easing off of sugar products and trying to eat only natural sugars minimally... I haven't lost anything yet but I stopped gaining so I guess that is good. I am not going to hoofing it so I dont really need to be ultra fit but needing less medicine would be nice... it would be good to not need my metabolism stimulating meds on top of the other things I take. I am trying to collect and maintain skills to stay useful and employed in a bad economy... plus I am tring to cook for just me rather than cook what comes in the box for a family of four. I hope to live more cheaply than I do now since I think food prices and fuel costs are going to go even more crazy than they already are.

lol I am uh + sized to put it nicely but I am currently on my first diet in years... I have a metabolize problem I am insulin resistant so my body stores everything I eat and uses very little of it...I am currently easing off of sugar products and trying to eat only natural sugars minimally... I haven't lost anything yet but I stopped gaining so I guess that is good. I am not going to hoofing it so I dont really need to be ultra fit but needing less medicine would be nice... it would be good to not need my metabolism stimulating meds on top of the other things I take. I am trying to collect and maintain skills to stay useful and employed in a bad economy... plus I am tring to cook for just me rather than cook what comes in the box for a family of four. I hope to live more cheaply than I do now since I think food prices and fuel costs are going to go even more crazy than they already are.

ChancesR,
Those who do not start anything, go no where. I am glad to hear you are doing something even if it seems little, it is still moving forward!

I have finished up basic B.O.L. plans and hopefully finalize them tomorrow since the girlfriend doesn't like the idea of prepping. I won't be seeing her tomorrow which will give me the time to finalize the idea for a temporary BOL since we have a small community that will be tagging along with my brothers and I. Approximately 20-25 people.

Which isnt exactly physical training but figure out the best way to get there and how to train to get there will be the physical part.

in a month of exercising, i have went from 242. to 230. im aiming for a max weight of 225 at least. i know if i really put my mind to it, i can get to 220 in a couple of weeks, but i have to do this in between, school, work, and wife.

I am 240, been trying to get to 205 for years now, mostly for martial arts competitions. Now that I have a tiny business getting work outs in is a pain in the butt, let alone martial arts training. I hope to make enough money so it isn't an issue soon, but I still put in push-ups, and minor cardio via my forms. I hate running with a passion, but I find kettlebells give me a good cardio work out.

Yehey, I don't need to do my treadmills.....o_O
Darn elevator in my building is out till the end of the month and we are at the 5th floor. I expect to do about 5 round trips per day (each floor is separated by 24 steps)....
So far, have lost about 5 pounds from 310lbs about 3 weeks ago to 305lbs now.

Yehey, I don't need to do my treadmills.....o_O
Darn elevator in my building is out till the end of the month and we are at the 5th floor. I expect to do about 5 round trips per day (each floor is separated by 24 steps)....
So far, have lost about 5 pounds from 310lbs about 3 weeks ago to 305lbs now.
Congrats on the weight loss!
I know what a pain it can be as I used to be 270.

I am 240, been trying to get to 205 for years now, mostly for martial arts competitions. Now that I have a tiny business getting work outs in is a pain in the butt, let alone martial arts training. I hope to make enough money so it isn't an issue soon
I know what you meen about a business making it hard to exercise. I have one too, and the worst part is mine is a dojo! i do get some classes in but lately they haven't been as intense as I need.

I hate running with a passion
That makes two of us!
find kettle bells give me a good cardio work out.
I have yet to use kettle bells even though I hear they are great!
I still put in push-ups, and minor cardio via my forms.
Forms will give you a hell of workout! except when you brain fart and forget a move!

Congrats on the weight loss!
I know what a pain it can be as I used to be 270.

The sad part is that when I joined the company in March 2012, I was 270, I gained 40 pounds when i last checked during our Annual Physical last June 2013. From a 39" waist, I went up to 46". So far, am down to 45". Am targeting to be back at 40" by December.

It is a pain to lose weight... I love to eat but prior to this job, my work entailed me to be going around, a lot of walking. Nowadays, am mostly sedentary, at my desk...

In my opinion and experience, I would suggest training in a martial art. I have trained for the past 17 years and it has made me confident to defend myself in unarmed and some armed combat. Strength at flexibility should be your focus. I have found in real life scenarios that my cardio training has won me the fight or helped me escape danger by simply being able to push hard or run faster for longer. Practice punching and kick but don't forget ground and pound as most fights end up on the ground. I see allot of Preppers learning complicated and difficult disarmament moves but 99% of the time speed and strength will save your life. Learn to control your fear and heart rate as the more calm you are the better you can judge the situation.

I'm a gym rat, I go almost everyday. I run 3-7 miles and do weights for 45 min or so. I also do Tap out xt and MA and sword fighting. Plus I swing a hammer a lot and lug boxes and do all my own inventory management and shipping and such so I'm moving if i'm not at the computer.

MedMan great suggestions there. I think the good 'ol road march that us military types had to go through are probably the most practical since it is highly probably that at some point you're going to have to tow your own gear. So weight bearing and developing your cardio all the way. Some good running shoes as well as some hiking boots for that incline work would be good.

I just started doing cardio (eliptical machine) and am soon going to load my backpack up with weights and walk with it to prepare. I'm already good as far as mental strength and close quarters combat.

now that my back seems to be ok,I do marches of 10km atleast 3 times a week,I always try to do it under 60min last time it was 55min,when I do it around 45-48 min, in comes the backpack with some extra weights,try to get the endurace ok,when I can do 10km with 25kg/around 55 lbs(I think) in the same time,well then I will smile

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back