Preparing for smaller situations that could happen any time

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Norwegian

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
Not sure if this is within the prepping topic or not. But I could not find any simulare discussions here.

My wife and I were just thinking last weekend if preparing for any small situations are prepping at all, or just being careful.
This could be like avoid fire at home. How to get out and save your family and yourself.
Could also be handling a car accident. Fixing wounds. And so forth.
I guess to be able to handle smaller issues also is something that could be used if SHTF.

Any thoughts?

good ideas/thoughts..i've done what i can so far,at preparing for short term power outages.i'll be preparing for tornadoes when i can.wild/house fires is another issue here..a feel and believe that by preparing for short term situations.im also preparing for long term,to permanent type situation..like a power grid failure that aint coming back in my life time..

Isn't that called being an adult? Have some sort of backup plan? Have some money in the bank just in case the car breaks down or the furnace or the water heater? Have a couple weeks of food, water and gas on hand? Have some sort of security training, medical abilities and a fair share of common sense?
You can't only prep for The End Of The World As We Know It. Day to day prepping is imo even more important.

Absolutely, that is what prepping is. Life is always going to throw the unexpected occasionally. Being ready for it, big or small, is what the majority of us here are learning and doing.

Not sure if this is within the prepping topic or not. But I could not find any simulare discussions here.

My wife and I were just thinking last weekend if preparing for any small situations are prepping at all, or just being careful.
This could be like avoid fire at home. How to get out and save your family and yourself.
I guess to be able to handle smaller issues also is something that could be used if SHTF.

Any thoughts?

life in general is just that,,LIFE,,,common sense will carry you through most of lifes little bumps,some cash in the bank will help ,things like a flat tire you can be ready for, house fires just be sure everyone knows how to get out and a meeting spot if it happens and injury and accidents that is why we have insurance

Any thoughts?

Smaller situations are far more likely to occur. I prepare for even highly unlikely scenarios however that's more for peace of mind.

Being prepared in general is fulfilLing & fun. I have purchased all kinds of equipment and supplies I'll probably never get to use in a real life situation. It's just cool to know it's there if and when you need it.

We have "played" with our kids and pretended it was a house fire. Trying to find our way out with an alarm sound and kind of blindfolded. Also tested how fast the kids and ourselves can get out. Find this very helpful. And then talk with each other to see what worked and what did not. Too many people says"it will not happen to me". Well, it might.

nobody here is paranoid, being prepared and being aware is not paranoia despite what someone else might think.

I think being aware of ones surrounding and the possible hazards in your area are most important. Prepping for the most likely events where you live are critical. It could be something as simple and common as a power outage. What if the power is out for several days. Food and water become number one. If power goes out during winter, keeping warm becomes a high priority. Having some basic supplies in your vehicle is important, especially in winter; food, water, blankets, flashlight/batteries and tools. Have a plan of where to go in case of a bigger emergency or disaster. Learn basic first aid and CPR. Have a first aid kit at home and in your vehicles.

My son asked what I am so scared of that I want to carry a gun with me all the time. I'm not scared of anything, but like the peace of mind knowing I am prepared to handle the unexpected. Life is always going to have changes, I just want to be able to be ready for them.

If you're open minded, you're constantly learning. I try to learn something new every day. There are many things we learn type that can be applied to a variety of different scenarios ranging from the semi common to the very unlikely.

Not too long ago by my friends place of business on a busy intersection there was a serious accident were one of the vehicles was flipped over eventually caught on fire while the driver, an older woman was unconscious inside. A guy ran out in an attempt to pull her out of the burning vehicle while the fire began to spread. It's my understanding that this was a strongly built gentleman.

The seat belt was not able to go undone and he could not pull her out regardless of how much he tried. Even as the fire spread he continued to try to pull her but was eventually dragged away by another.

Granted this all occurred in a matter of minutes/seconds. The woman was eventually freed by fire department but died of what I believe was smoke inhalation.

The guy whom tried to save her was devastated, justifiably so. I was told that he kept repeating..."if only I had a knife, I could have cut her out."

It's sad because most people probably don't have the courage to run to burning vehicle and put their life on the line for a perfect stranger. This man did however because he lacked a simple tool, that woman died.

could have been more than one fatality in that case, some people put themselves at risk for the sake of others, very commendable but a trifle foolish.

Prepping isn't about just catastrophic events, it's also about everyday life and situations beyond our control large and small.
I prep more for life's unexpected events more so than the zombie apocalypse. No one ever plans to get hurt or sick, or loosing a job, or whatever. I guess I look at prepping kind of like a savings account. It's having some resources available when you need it.

I've done all the unemployed, illness, power cuts, transport difficulties and trade union protests sort of things, many times over and come out the other side, as I suspect many here have also done.
having a stock of food and an emergency fund helps in these sorts of events.

Hi
Im new here and are from Denmark. I have been studied religion only Focus om last day which is disaster, third war, nuclear, and for that reason i togouht i could be helpfull here. I know exactly where the nuclear war starts and where IT reachs. And All this is prophcized for 2000 year until yet. Hope You dont get mad at me but just listen to my opinion

Iv tried now for last 10 years to se og All stated prophecy is happening and IT does.

Thats why i also found in more then 4000 old scripts from jews, cristian and islam exactly tells us what is going to happen.

I didnt belive first. But when i found scripts for 1500 years ago speak about islamic state in details, such accurate in action, where they are, when, what they do, event thier leder name is mentioned. I recodnized then wooooooww. That is 100 % acurate today and 1000 other things are also mentioned and happened

Thats why i Was saying i can be helpfull to let you prepper exactly 100% acurate for what is coming.

You can just take my answer as a prepperation for what i sudggest.

For mere.its importent to know the disasters before prepperation

THX for reading my msg.
Sorry for bad english

Last edited:
Smaller events got my wife and I into prepping. Since then, each small event is an opportunity to test a part of our preparations.
My parents had out of town visitors who took a niece to the movies not far away. While they were gone, I stopped by for a visit and mentioned a grass fire a few miles distant. As things go here on the prairies, it only took a few minutes for the fire to reach my parents' property and they were forced to evacuate. I had just enough battery life on my cell phone to tell my wife where I was and that fire was approaching fast, then the phone died.

There was no way to contact my wife and explain that we had gotten away for the 20 minutes it took to get to another relative's home. Once there, there was no way to find the out of town visitors and niece who had left the movies by then. The entire neighborhood had been evacuated. After that incident, every household in my family had a local rally point. If you have to leave the house, meet at the northeast corner of the lot, if you have to leave the property, meet up at the home of X. If the disaster is larger (as it was last week in Houston, TX) call X who lives out of state and leave a message so we can find each other.

A tornado ripping through the neighborhood, left my parents exposed because they spent too much time trying to find a working flashlight and an update on the weather. Following that, we provided each household with a "go bag" containing essentials and a list of things like photo copies of ID's, prescriptions, etc.

We have gotten better at predicting some needs ahead of time, but for us, prepping is an ongoing process that constantly loops around to the beginning.

Thanks for asking. Things turned out fine other than a lot of unnecessary worry all the way around. We were very lucky.

I can visualize a scenario where the family all gets out of a burning house safely, but the Dad talking to the firemen in the front yard suddenly realizes he hasn't seen his little girl. Not realizing she slipped out the back door and is in the back yard, charges back into the flames and loses his own life.

Lacking a rally point, our out of town guests and niece stood at the edge of the subdivision staring at the impenetrable wall of smoke for a long time before I managed to drive all the way around the no-go zone to find them.

Over the years, we have added to the "go bags". Now each vehicle has a small kit with blanket, flashlight, AM/FM radio, snacks, bottled water, and even a Baofeng programmed with all the local ham repeaters, FRS, GMRS, MURS frequencies (the batteries are kept in an outside pocket of the bag and the Baofeng batteries rotated monthly. We had a couple of ponchos in each vehicle's bag until we happened on an accident and needed to give them to a couple of children. Now we keep a bunch of $0.99 disposable ponchos along with our own.

We buy insurance, have both short and long term investments and outwardly are just like our neighbors. My wife and I feel that the current economy is not sustainable and the course of the future may not be reversible. What we don't know is the timing of things.

Nobody can know with any precision when a disaster is going to strike. Nor can we know which disaster will cascade into collapse. We keep our eyes and ears open, read voraciously, and prepare on as many fronts as we possibly can. That includes the possibility that we'll either be long gone, or too old to care when a collapse happens.

For that reason, yes, we have insurance. Not life insurance though.

My point being that folks sometimes thing prepping is a bit paranoid...but really, it isn't any different than having insurance. Same idea.

As for life insurance, having been through this twice, it SUCKS to have to come up with thousands when a loved one passes, to take care of things. I will NOT be putting my kids through that. When we go, crap like that will be prepaid for, and already arranged. They won't even have to pick the damn songs to play at the funeral. We don't want them having to do any of it (and frankly, don't trust them to!)....

Back