Preparing for grid failure.. need advice

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

preppin

Reaction score
I am trying to get a hold of multiple 2000 gallon propane tanks. How would I go about doing so? All of this talk about the power grid being knocked out is getting serious. Any advice would be appreciated.

Some installation companies refurbish old tanks, may want to try there too.

How much (if you don't mind), did it cost to fill a 500 gallon?

How much (if you don't mind), did it cost to fill a 500 gallon?

Mine was $838 The valve was replaced so the tank was totally empty, propane kind of got expensive

@preppin, not sure if you can install a 2000gal residential storage tanks, you might want to check with the codes in your area before you purchase?

Last edited:
I'd actually like to get a 2000 gallon one. I could probably do it in my area as I'm outside city limits and in an unincorporated area. As you said, depends on local ordinances.

another route yall might want to look into..and that is the propane trucks that are no longer used to deliver propane to homes and businesses..on account their tank maximum limit is 2600 gallons..now if one of them can be refurbished where its a propane tank instead..it could be well worth while..that is if it can be done.and be legal to use at the same time..that is if it wont cost to much to do that..

Leasing the tank seems to be the way to go, if you're ok with an above ground install. Much cheaper to do a yearly lease fee than buy one outright, plus they service it. (and of course, it's already there if the SHTF, so not like they will come and get back). This would dramatically reduce the cost outlay (especially as it will take a lot of $ to actually fill the tank too). I'm really liking this paired with a propane generator though. And in short term issues (like power outages, etc.), having the full power capability (and with seamless transition) throughout the house is simply too cool for words.

Granted, post SHTF, we'd enact some strict power usage rules, to stretch the supply out.

we have a dometic gas refrigerator w/electric conversion out in the shop, on gas uses about 5gal every two weeks, electricity is under 400w when it runs, for a solar setup w/inverter and battery bank may be something for me to think about though I'm not sure I want to go with the expense.

Mine was $838 The valve was replaced so the tank was totally empty, propane kind of got expensive

@preppin, not sure if you can install a 2000gal residential storage tanks, you might want to check with the codes in your area before you purchase?
Ouch! I'm working on getting a 500gal. And hope to do so in the next few weeks. I hadn't looked into the cost of the gas yet, oh well. I just bought a smoker, which is lp, and am working towards setting up an outdoor kitchen, converting my generator to gas, and having a secondary heat source in the house, in addition to the fireplace. I have a feeling your right about the 2000 gal being banned in a residential setting, but that's only 4 regular tanks. Just link some together, and it would probably be a lot cheaper anyways.

another route yall might want to look into..and that is the propane trucks that are no longer used to deliver propane to homes and businesses..on account their tank maximum limit is 2600 gallons..now if one of them can be refurbished where its a propane tank instead..it could be well worth while..that is if it can be done.and be legal to use at the same time..that is if it wont cost to much to do that..
Good idea Jim! It it's on wheels, why would you even need a permit!

we have a dometic gas refrigerator w/electric conversion out in the shop, on gas uses about 5gal every two weeks, electricity is under 400w when it runs, for a solar setup w/inverter and battery bank may be something for me to think about though I'm not sure I want to go with the expense.
I'm doing the propane first, and when I recover from the heart attack of that expense I'll start working on a little solar too! I'm going to try and at least get the freezer on solar with a couple batteries, then will add a little at a time. If only I could hit the lottery!;)

i dunno if a permit or what ever is needed for the propane trucks or not..but yet.im thinking that the tank and the frame in which it sits on can be removed if needed,just to make sure things are kept leagle. and all..

i dunno if a permit or what ever is needed for the propane trucks or not..but yet.im thinking that the tank and the frame in which it sits on can be removed if needed,just to make sure things are kept leagle. and all..
If you ask the county or city if you need a permit, their answer is yes, that will be 87 dollars please! My attitude is if it's on wheels, then it's portable and the county can kiss my ****

After a lot of researching, soul-searching, etc., I've decided the best plan for me, based on where I live.

That basically came down to large above ground propane tank (buried is too pricey) + propane generator + wired to existing electrical panel. (in a SHTF scenario, will be putting concrete blocks around tank to hide and protect)

Couple this with some minor solar augmented options for specific purposes (i.e. a solar powered well pump, a solar powered entry gate, and a solar powered option for the garage (fed by panels on the garage roof)). Mostly because this is a slight distance from the house, and would be nice to be able to power any tools, should we run out of propane.

Simply put, here are the cons of the options I weighed:

All Solar - too expensive to power whole house, batteries will need to be replaced, every component wears down relatively quickly, and technology is rapidly changing, making last year's purchases more and more obsolete (and cost ineffective). Plus, FL power companies are almost anti-solar, and won't work with you, so no solar leasing options. Our storms would likely damage panels often.

All Diesel Generators - limited power levels available for residential (so would need multiple generators), high cost fuel, not as efficient as propane, storage costs higher (no leasing options for tanks), and not as common to hook up to existing panels, so tricky finding a good electrician. I do plan on having stored diesel for truck, tractor, etc., but don't want to have to decide what to power.

Wind Turbine - simply no go here in FL, not enough steady wind. (though might be a good augment for solar, for well pump, as would share a lot of the same equipment).

Old School, 1800's Tech - while we would use a lot of old tech where we can (like lighting, and cooking), I still like the idea of having modern conveniences (well pump, appliances, food storage and prep, AC, etc.). We'll certainly invoke rules to limit power use for the most important activities and devices, to ration fuel supply, but relying only on old ways just isn't practical or desirable to us.

So, the propane won out, and is the direction I'll be planning for the main power requirements. The combination of other sources is simply for redundancy, and based on importance (well, the gate is more out of location and convenience).

After a lot of researching, soul-searching, etc., I've decided the best plan for me, based on where I live.

That basically came down to large above ground propane tank (buried is too pricey) + propane generator + wired to existing electrical panel. (in a SHTF scenario, will be putting concrete blocks around tank to hide and protect)

Couple this with some minor solar augmented options for specific purposes (i.e. a solar powered well pump, a solar powered entry gate, and a solar powered option for the garage (fed by panels on the garage roof)). Mostly because this is a slight distance from the house, and would be nice to be able to power any tools, should we run out of propane.

Simply put, here are the cons of the options I weighed:

All Solar - too expensive to power whole house, batteries will need to be replaced, every component wears down relatively quickly, and technology is rapidly changing, making last year's purchases more and more obsolete (and cost ineffective). Plus, FL power companies are almost anti-solar, and won't work with you, so no solar leasing options. Our storms would likely damage panels often.

All Diesel Generators - limited power levels available for residential (so would need multiple generators), high cost fuel, not as efficient as propane, storage costs higher (no leasing options for tanks), and not as common to hook up to existing panels, so tricky finding a good electrician. I do plan on having stored diesel for truck, tractor, etc., but don't want to have to decide what to power.

Wind Turbine - simply no go here in FL, not enough steady wind. (though might be a good augment for solar, for well pump, as would share a lot of the same equipment).

Old School, 1800's Tech - while we would use a lot of old tech where we can (like lighting, and cooking), I still like the idea of having modern conveniences (well pump, appliances, food storage and prep, AC, etc.). We'll certainly invoke rules to limit power use for the most important activities and devices, to ration fuel supply, but relying only on old ways just isn't practical or desirable to us.

So, the propane won out, and is the direction I'll be planning for the main power requirements. The combination of other sources is simply for redundancy, and based on importance (well, the gate is more out of location and convenience).
I'm right there with you on all points. It's not perfect, (propane) but it makes the most sense out of the few options available, ( solar, diesel, wind etc) I hope to set a tank within a month. I need to do some research on when is the cheapest time to buy the fuel. I'll let you know what I find out.

Latest posts

Back