Power Chair or Manual Wheel Chair

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Loomis

Reaction score
Any suggestions which would be better? A 275 lb Power Chair or manual wheelchair. Either way rolling thru the woods with either would prove to be a challenge.
I'm ambulatory for most of the day, but too many hours I need a chair. I have seen power chairs with tracks as on a tank, but that is way out of my price range.
Any suggestions?

Any suggestions which would be better? A 275 lb Power Chair or manual wheelchair. Either way rolling thru the woods with either would prove to be a challenge.
I'm ambulatory for most of the day, but too many hours I need a chair. I have seen power chairs with tracks as on a tank, but that is way out of my price range.
Any suggestions?
ATV,

*SIGH*
this is a tough one ive already been through with one member in PM that had a disabled parent.
the problem here is a couple situations: up hill, dirt/forest, gas, battery power, money, alot of different things that wont be useful to you to long after SHTF.
examples:
ATV: where are you gonna get gas?
power scooter: electricity? solar maybe, but how long will it take to charge?
they make quite a few off road power chairs, including the track chair you mentioned (freaken AWESOME btw), but what disabled person could afford shit like that?

im gonna make a suggestion to you, and seeing your solar powered abilitys, your more than capable i think.

what i would do:

id buy a regular wheelchair, ive searched for offroad but never found any but....
i would go to yard sales and find small electric motors used on kids electric go-karts or kids electric razor scooters etc and rig them to the wheels via solar power. i would use the wheelchair the regular/normal way, then if its uphill etc switch over to electric and let it do the work.

or......

buy an atv and make it battery power and hook it up solar. might be a waste of time though with the watts per mile usage though, might need a helova panel for that.

ill keep an eye open though.

Good idea, not enough power, ATV and a gas stash is what i would do, The chair also has to many things to go wrong, ATV way dependable, you could get a 200 four stroke that gets killer mileage, electric start, plus you can strap a shit load of gear on it. Also comfort and suspension. Hell buy a small trailer and you are set.

Good idea, not enough power, ATV and a gas stash is what i would do, The chair also has to many things to go wrong, ATV way dependable, you could get a 200 four stroke that gets killer mileage, electric start, plus you can strap a shit load of gear on it. Also comfort and suspension. Hell buy a small trailer and you are set.
ya its a good idea, but what are you gonna do as a disabled person in 2 to 4 weeks when your gas is depleted? walk?
hell my car, which i barley use, goes through almost a gallon a day. thats 14 gallons in 2 weeks, not to mention if i used it as my legs like he would the atv. i know they get waaay better mpg, but still, whats he do after he runs out?

here, check this out, if it'll post the site:

http://www.moltenrock.co.uk/wp/

Those are sweet ! Here is how i see it, Krime you are long term SHTF. I don't see it that way, Me personally I think if we have to bug out, if at all, it will be short term. Earthquake whatever, That's just my take on it. So anyways Loomis, you have a couple of ideas to kick around.

here, check this out, if it'll post the site:

http://www.moltenrock.co.uk/wp/

Wow ! Did you look at this?! It has independant rear suspension AND shock absorbers. Spoke tires keep it lightweight. Tubular design frame looks indestrutible, like a race car design, and heavy too. High back bar acts like a roll bar. This thing has Tortion bars !! holy cow !!! The high back would fit an Alice pack or anything else very easy. I could cary a little more weight because I'm only 140 lbs. Looks as if it would be hard to tip sideways. It looks slightly wider than my Harmer lift on the back of my van, but with some welded aluminum skids in the width of the rear tires it's doable. Must cost a fortune. Most of that stuff does. But that is the BEST suited machine I have EVER seen.
You guys really come through. I thank all of you for putting your heads together on this one. I mean I really appreciate it. It gives me Hope. I'm stoked.

Wow ! Did you look at this?! It has independant rear suspension AND shock absorbers. Spoke tires keep it lightweight. Tubular design frame looks indestrutible, like a race car design, and heavy too. High back bar acts like a roll bar. This thing has Tortion bars !! holy cow !!! The high back would fit an Alice pack or anything else very easy. I could cary a little more weight because I'm only 140 lbs. Looks as if it would be hard to tip sideways. It looks slightly wider than my Harmer lift on the back of my van, but with some welded aluminum skids in the width of the rear tires it's doable. Must cost a fortune. Most of that stuff does. But that is the BEST suited machine I have EVER seen.
You guys really come through. I thank all of you for putting your heads together on this one. I mean I really appreciate it. It gives me Hope. I'm stoked.

Ok, ok, now the ole brain is in 10th gear. If I had that machine I would put a 100 Watt solar panel on top like a canopy, with support bars & braces. I would hook that into a 12v or 24v 30 amp charge controler. Use a 100 Watt Solar panel , <$150. and the charge controler <$50. Depends on the voltage of the system. Might be able to switch batteries and put in Marine deep cycle. It would be a serious machine. Even without the Marine batteries you'd have a constant charge in full sun. Wow !
You could put a light bar on it, and tie it into the electrical system.
That would be one heck of Prepper Machine.
I like the way you guys think. I really do.

Ok, ok, now the ole brain is in 10th gear. If I had that machine I would put a 100 Watt solar panel on top like a canopy, with support bars & braces. I would hook that into a 12v or 24v 30 amp charge controler. Use a 100 Watt Solar panel , <$150. and the charge controler <$50. Depends on the voltage of the system. Might be able to switch batteries and put in Marine deep cycle. It would be a serious machine. Even without the Marine batteries you'd have a constant charge in full sun. Wow !
You could put a light bar on it, and tie it into the electrical system.
That would be one heck of Prepper Machine.
I like the way you guys think. I really do.
Right on, looks like you have a prototype to build !

I wonder what steel tubes they use. May be able to use 2 old steel bicycles. 4130 CroMoly, or Reynolds. But then again you'd need a TIG weld on those.

Those are sweet ! Here is how i see it, Krime you are long term SHTF. I don't see it that way, Me personally I think if we have to bug out, if at all, it will be short term. Earthquake whatever, That's just my take on it. So anyways Loomis, you have a couple of ideas to kick around.
LOL, im always long term at thought. i have to be. if it happens i want to be prepared for worst case senario, if its short term, ill be all the better.
LOL, if i go, i may never come back anyway LOL.

Latest posts

Back