Powdered Milk Question

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MNwr786

Demi-God
Reaction score
I just picked up two bags of instant powdered nonfat milk for baking if liquid milk gets hard to come by. The bag says that once opened, I need to store it in the fridge and use it within 5 days. I have no idea how I would use 20 quarts of milk in 5 days. Surely this advice is nonsense and it will last much longer, right? How long will it last if I double bag the remaining powder? What if I purge the air out of the bag with nitrogen or an inert gas and keep it in the fridge?

I've never done that. I put it in jars and vacuum seal. Put it in the basement. It's NONFAT. Lasts awhile. Also try the cartons of shelf stable milk that Dollar Tree sells. It tastes ok. Usually the date is at least a year out, if not longer.

I just picked up two bags of instant powdered nonfat milk for baking if liquid milk gets hard to come by. The bag says that once opened, I need to store it in the fridge and use it within 5 days. I have no idea how I would use 20 quarts of milk in 5 days. Surely this advice is nonsense and it will last much longer, right? How long will it last if I double bag the remaining powder? What if I purge the air out of the bag with nitrogen or an inert gas and keep it in the fridge?

Excellent question. Thank you for asking!!! Something I need to get for my pantry...
As we age, our bodies require more Calcium and Vitamin D.
I'm sure I'm not telling anything new to anyone...☺

With respect, Erqueen75:USA:

The role of calcium
Calcium is needed for our heart, muscles, and nerves to function properly and for blood to clot. Inadequate calcium significantly contributes to the development of osteoporosis. Many published studies show that low calcium intake throughout life is associated with low bone mass and high fracture rates. National nutrition surveys have shown that most people are not getting the calcium they need to grow and maintain healthy bones. To find out how much calcium you need, see the "Recommended calcium intake" chart below.

Recommended calcium intake
Life-stage groupmg/day
Source: Food and Nutrition Board, Institute of Medicine, National Academy of Sciences, 2010.

Selected calcium-rich foods
FoodCalcium (mg)
Source: The 2004 Surgeon General’s Report on Bone Health and Osteoporosis: What It Means to You. U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Office of the Surgeon General, 2004, pages 12-13.
Fortified oatmeal, 1 packet350
Sardines, canned in oil, with edible bones, 3 oz.324
Cheddar cheese, 1½ oz. shredded306
Milk, nonfat, 1 cup302
Milkshake, 1 cup300
Yogurt, plain, low fat, 1 cup300
Soybeans, cooked, 1 cup261
Tofu, firm, with calcium, ½ cup204
Orange juice, fortified with calcium, 6 oz.200–260 (varies)
Salmon, canned, with edible bones, 3 oz.181
Pudding, instant (chocolate, banana, etc.) made with 2% milk, ½ cup153
Baked beans, 1 cup142
Cottage cheese, 1% milkfat, 1 cup138
Spaghetti, lasagna, 1 cup125
Frozen yogurt, vanilla, soft serve, ½ cup103
Ready-to-eat cereal, fortified with calcium, 1 cup100–1,000 (varies)
Cheese pizza, 1 slice100
Fortified waffles, 2100
Turnip greens, boiled, ½ cup99
Broccoli, raw, 1 cup90
Ice cream, vanilla, ½ cup85
Soy or rice milk, fortified with calcium, 1 cup80–500 (varies)

Infants 0 to 6 months200
Infants 6 to 12 months260
1 to 3 years old700
4 to 8 years old1,000
9 to 13 years old1,300
14 to 18 years old1,300
19 to 30 years old1,000
31 to 50 years old1,000
51- to 70-year-old males1,000
51- to 70-year-old females1,200
70 years old1,200
14 to 18 years old, pregnant/lactating1,300
19 to 50 years old, pregnant/lactating1,000

I keep at least 24 to 30 liters of UHT milk which is also lactose free in the pantry. As soon as I only have about 10 or so, off I go shopping and refill. Also have several bags of dried milk like what is used in the coffee machines for whitening your coffee, not really milk, just for creamer in coffee or black tea. Powdered chocolate milk and large bars of baking chocolate for emergency energy or just normal cooking and baking.

I haven’t tried the parmalot milk yet. Something just seems off with being able to store milk at room temperature…. However everything I’ve read has been positive about it. I have a couple large bags of powdered nonfat milk that has a good shelf life, but agree once opened you have to go through it too quickly. I will look for smaller size containers of it. I was planning a Costco trip today anyways.
I am seeing and reading more and more signs of the supply chains being stretched thinner now. Our business (which I just do part time office work now) needs lots of parts and supplies. I used to source things looking for the best price. Now I’m having to just source things for availability with no regulars for cost. It’s become really bad out there. Not to mention the cost of groceries has gone way up. So my point here, if the ongoing signs don’t tell you that storing powered milk and all the other things you and yours needs then you aren’t paying attention.

I did join and shop at Costco today, and did not see any powdered milk. There has been some at our local Walmart though. It was worth looking around Costco in person but I did the 100$ membership fee and will do the free delivery from now on. Still replenished some stocks in the pantry and added some more today but will still look for powdered nonfat milk when out.

Think of the Parmalot and other variety shelf life milk like milk that you would can yourself. When you can something, it is shelf stable. And I have heard of people canning milk.

I’ve never seen powdered milk at Costco, and I’ve been a member for a long time, and go sometimes twice per week….

I have purchased from the LDS store, and found that to be great! Comes in a bunch of individually sealed packs, and is shelf stable for like 20 years…. 12x27oz bags = $66. I think we did the maff, and it worked out to around a hair over 21 gals total that could be mixed up.. for $3.15/gal, it’s not a bad finished price.

i have a number of these LDS cases stored, but don’t plan to use the milk as use use milk today, for cereals, etc. I’d plan to use it for baking projects and such that require milk…. Because our fam goes through a lot of milk, but doesn’t need to.

But It’s temp out of stock, so there’s that…

https://store.churchofjesuschrist.org/usa/en/food-storage-3074457345616678849-1/nonfat-dry-milk

I’ve never seen powdered milk at Costco, and I’ve been a member for a long time, and go sometimes twice per week….

I have purchased from the LDS store, and found that to be great! Comes in a bunch of individually sealed packs, and is shelf stable for like 20 years…. 12x27oz bags = $66. I think we did the maff, and it worked out to around a hair over 21 gals total that could be mixed up.. for $3.15/gal, it’s not a bad finished price.

i have a number of these LDS cases stored, but don’t plan to use the milk as use use milk today, for cereals, etc. I’d plan to use it for baking projects and such that require milk…. Because our fam goes through a lot of milk, but doesn’t need to.

But It’s temp out of stock, so there’s that…

https://store.churchofjesuschrist.org/usa/en/food-storage-3074457345616678849-1/nonfat-dry-milk

I just got 3 more cases 2 months ago.

Think of the Parmalot and other variety shelf life milk like milk that you would can yourself. When you can something, it is shelf stable. And I have heard of people canning milk.
I love canning and do each year but I think of home canning as a yearly deal for safety. I’m pretty confident about two years being safe but always dump anything beyond the 2nd year. Even store bought cans I don’t consider keeping past three years. (Yes you can still eat them but they get mushy and flavorless). So now I’m mostly doing long term storage, other than the regular pantry. Like freeze dried, rice and beans, etc. The regular pantry is good for at least six months of regular store bought foods, likely a year without guests.

The Dollar Tree sells a tasty shelf life milk in a carton. I've heard in some areas though, they are either out of it or only have a few months left on the best buy date. I guess I've been lucky, the stuff I buy has over a year out on the best buy date.

What I have seen is carnation condensed milk at Costco. in a #10 can. No idea if this would be good for my needs, because I’m not planning on drinking it, it would just be for baking. They can seem to be fairly shelfstable with a 18 month out date.

Latest posts

Back