Powdered eggs

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Why not just keep chickens?
Fresh eggs, and then meat when they stop laying.
Also, with mineral oil coating, can keep eggs for months at room temperature, so even post SHTF, no fridge needed.

To answer your question though, most sellers state anywhere from 15-25 years for shelf-life.

Fair enough, good plan. :D Personally, I'm a fan of having the bases covered also. How many you feeding with 15 hens? LOL. Mine just started laying (I have 8 hens, and we have 5 people), and I'll be giving eggs to friends no doubt.

you lucky ones...with fresh eggs of your own..

can't, living in a city,only place would be the balcony, and my nighbours and the landlord would go ballistic :D

perhaps in the future,when my school is finished and I move out from here

The previous owner of my home owned a bunch of chickens and asked if I'd like them. Sadly, my mother and son have an unexplainable bird phobia. My son's ultimate fear is the lowly peacock. No chickens for me.

It still bugs me 3 years later...oh well.

my next door neighbour is quite ok,but the rest...well,I'll put it this way,we have a nice piece of lawn between two houses and one of my lovely neighbours got a big sign there,forbidding children to play soccer on the lawn,you see,it disturbes that s@@@head..it's sometimes so interesting here

1 year aint long enough for me.but then again.they do what they can in such case's

We have 8 #10 cans of powdered whole eggs, 15yr shelf life though we purchased 3 cans a month given it was roughly a $100 for the 3, not cheap why we stopped at 8!

I only have about 11 chickens left, the lynx, coyote, wolverine and the skunk are cleaning me out, the dogs killed a wolverine last year getting in the pen, a skunk killed one of the hens to get at the eggs, the rooster disappeared a couple of month ago figuring a hawk got em. A never ending battle here!

I have been looking into making my own powdered eggs at home sealed in a mason jar with an oxygen absorber and I believe they should last around 15 years or more. And that will work with store bought or yard eggs

I have been looking into making my own powdered eggs at home sealed in a mason jar with an oxygen absorber and I believe they should last around 15 years or more. And that will work with store bought or yard eggs

Anything home canning 15yrs is really pushing it and that includes powdered eggs, most of the retail #10 cans powdered eggs last 10-15yrs though these are done in consistent absolute controlled environment generally this type of control isn't obtainable from the home with end users products

My suggestion would be get some chickens for eggs. You can always dehydrate the excess when they are laying good and use the powder during the winter months. That way you can rotate your powdered eggs. Mav is correct when saying your own will not last 10 -15 years

my next door neighbour is quite ok,but the rest...well,I'll put it this way,we have a nice piece of lawn between two houses and one of my lovely neighbours got a big sign there,forbidding children to play soccer on the lawn,you see,it disturbes that s@@@head..it's sometimes so interesting here
Sometimes I prefer wild animals over people :).

I can see some wisdom in doing both. Just that with 7 chickens, I get more eggs than my family of 5 can eat, so I just can't see it becoming an issue (and we could always breed more chickens if we wanted to).

Latest posts

Back