Potatoes in pots

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gracieboo

Reaction score
I usually buy new compost when I plant potatoes (containers) to limit the chances of blight. I’ve just read that if you microwave the soil it kills off any bacteria and is safe to use. Time consuming I know but if I ever struggle for compost (I’m in an urban area) I was going to experiment with one bag. Has anyone tried this?

The standard way of treating soil before bagged soil was to heat treat. This was usually compost screened and then heated to a certain temperature to kill any weed seeds. To start seeds if necessary I would screen my backyard compost and put in oven.

Not sure if I’m being over cautious to be honest. Might do 1 bag heated, use old compost for another and new for the rest. Set myself up an experiment and try to remember which is which.

Not sure if I’m being over cautious to be honest. Might do 1 bag heated, use old compost for another and new for the rest. Set myself up an experiment and try to remember which is which.
you can always label them. I really liked @DirtDiva recommendation of using old canning jar lids, s hook and paint marker. I normally label with popsicle markets but by the end of the season they are gone. Rot in the dirt and breaks off. Luckily by the time it happens everything has grown in enough that I know what I planted. :)

Latest posts

Back