Post SHTF Occupations

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
TN has a law that you can make so much moonshine for gassahol and even some for personal use . One of my Grand Pa's made moon shine , his still sites are still on the mnt's here . I dont need to make any as I don't drink and nothing I have would run long on it .
I'm not an expert on legal anything, but am almost positive that under no circumstances can you make distilled alcohol for consumption anywhere in the us. There are permits for making fuel alcohol that are available in several states though. I'm almost tempted to try to get a permit to test it out on a lawnmower, just to see how long it would run on it.
Now, as far as making alcohol to drink, you can make beer and wine, just not distill it. I can legally make 100 gals of wine a year, per Adult person in my household. If anyone needs more drink than that, I'd say they have a problem!

unless its gonna save my life.i wouldn't use moonshine as fuel..:D..biodiesel has been mentioned before.if a person can make that..and without it being to time consuming.and not be to much trouble.that'd be one thing

but it really is for a transitional period mostly. I figure a year and a half at best if rationed

Same here, though the bonus is, since it doesn't go bad, you can likely find some salvage propane for some time post SHTF. For tools, I want to have a solar charger for this use.

Same here, though the bonus is, since it doesn't go bad, you can likely find some salvage propane for some time post SHTF. For tools, I want to have a solar charger for this use.
Good point, scavenging might be a new career option one day. I guess you could fill the portable tanks from the backyard ones you find. Now would be a good time to find out how to make a coupling hose, before you need it.

Cross-training is essential, absolutely.

My wife and I are always on the lookout for one of the old pre-electric sewing machines. We passed one up about a year ago, and have regretted it ever since, so now we keep an eye out. (mentioned only because so many responded with seamstress as a profession). I can certainly see us having a few do this also.

I also try to collect manual tools (like manual drills, etc.) as a hobby and for SHTF use.

gaz, might want to consider importing one from asia, i am sure they still have them or make them.

Got one of these about 2 years ago, tried, tested and moved to the BOL, they work great around here they are not vintage they come brand spanking new for about $60, if i am not mistaken made in India.

uploadfromtaptalk1454560791827.jpg

Hmm...interesting idea that. Wow, even looks like the vintage ones. The one we passed up actually had a foot pedal vs. hand crank, so was pretty damn cool.

Got one of these about 2 years ago, tried, tested and moved to the BOL, they work great around here they are not vintage they come brand spanking new for about $60, if i am not mistaken made in India.

View attachment 5197
I've got an old singer industrial, and an old browny. I think the singer is from the 20's or 30's and the brownie is probably 40's or 50's. First off, I don't know how to sew, and I'm really not sure if either work. I just really like antique stuff. I could probably get them running with some effort, but still don't know how to sew! They are stored out in the pole barn as my wife dosent like 'old junk' in the house. I'm lucky I'm still here!
That really is cool that they are still making the same old singer design.

Yeah, the one we looked at was made in 1919, and it looked very similar to that pic, but had the foot pedal instead of a hand crank for rotation. Singer even still makes the belts for them (surprisingly), as we checked (we were that ready to buy it). Just had to wait until payday, and when we did, it was gone. Sigh.

Yeah, the one we looked at was made in 1919, and it looked very similar to that pic, but had the foot pedal instead of a hand crank for rotation. Singer even still makes the belts for them (surprisingly), as we checked (we were that ready to buy it). Just had to wait until payday, and when we did, it was gone. Sigh.
If you could lay your hands on the hand cranck one, with a bit of tinckering with some bycle parts you would probably be able to turn it into peddle power.

I agree that anyone with medical training will be able to write their own ticket, post SHTF. Doctors, nurses, even EMTS and veterinarians. Especially if you have a supply of antibiotics and other meds and bone up on how to treat wounds and ailments in primitive conditions, without electricity or a sterile operating room, et cetera.

My grand daughter got a good plug from the USDA and she has two school choices of UC Davis or Colorado State UC Davis already excepted her so I think that's where she be heading. She been working with the local vets here since the 8th grade dealing with farm animals though they are wanting her to further her education in wildlife medicine so she is all excited and has a job when she graduates thus she can continue living on the property without relocating. So this gives us two nurses and soon (in 6 or so years) to be vet though no medical doctors.

congrats on all that..i hope that she succeeds in all of that.and and that she's happy with it,not only now.but in the long run as well..

the wife and I have a fair bit of vet knowledge, just from growing up around animals all our lives. due to her medical issues, I've learned a lot of human medicine too. I'd love to get some actual EMT training one of these days.

Currently, I'd put some of my current skills at:

Electrician
Carpenter
Plumber
Masonry
Mechanical Engineering (or jerry-rigging)
Agriculture (a little, getting better)
Animal Care
Vet Medicine
Emergency Medicine
Marksman (decent, and I can shoot on the run)
Tactician
Woodcraft (not Survivorman level, but decent enough)

Probably a few others (like decent cook, etc., especially if I'm just limited to what's around the kitchen...I come up with some good ones that way), but these come to mind.

the wife and I have a fair bit of vet knowledge, just from growing up around animals all our lives. due to her medical issues, I've learned a lot of human medicine too. I'd love to get some actual EMT training one of these days.

Currently, I'd put some of my current skills at:

Electrician
Carpenter
Plumber
Masonry
Mechanical Engineering (or jerry-rigging)
Agriculture (a little, getting better)
Animal Care
Vet Medicine
Emergency Medicine
Marksman (decent, and I can shoot on the run)
Tactician
Woodcraft (not Survivorman level, but decent enough)

Probably a few others (like decent cook, etc., especially if I'm just limited to what's around the kitchen...I come up with some good ones that way), but these come to mind.
Being able to multi task with several different skills is really good because if shtf we will all be doing a lot more for ourselves.

Latest posts

Back