Post SHTF Occupations

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a unique skill set...i'm a blacksmith. I have the whole shop in the basement.

I also have better than basic 1st aid training (cls) got my lumps at Ft Benning home of the Infantry and worked the street in a squad car for too long. I'll do the soldier thing if I have no choice. I run my own small biss and import co now. So I have a ton of stuff on hand to trade.

I'm a fair hand in the garden, I hunt. Prepping with tradables as well, maybe post shtf I'll open a trade post and smithy.

I'll have stuff to trade, skills that folks need.

....and shoot looters.

Plus I got friends to fill the medical, mechanic, and farmer roles too.

i would be a mechanic/body (auto), hunter/fisher, webdesigner/computer programmer (once i finish school), looking to get into gunsmithing and blacksmithing

I have skills! Emergency room nurse for 12 yrs. Ex military and now retired LE. I can cook, sew, milk cows, grow my own food!

What I cant decide is what role I want to play in a SHTF survival mode. I sooo like my guns, but of course my husband the Marine says thats his job! LOL!

I have skills! Emergency room nurse for 12 yrs. Ex military and now retired LE. I can cook, sew, milk cows, grow my own food!

What I cant decide is what role I want to play in a SHTF survival mode. I sooo like my guns, but of course my husband the Marine says thats his job! LOL!
i would advise even tho hes a marine see if you could practice with him anyways (that way you could defennd yourself just incase hes on a run or didnt make it )
also you could do different jobs

Supply run medic... ;)

I guess I'm the odd ball or I think too much...i work at a local hospital as a nurse and I specialize in many different fields of nursing...so of course I will continue it but I also have taken the steps and became familiar with and studied herbal medicine....i actually have certification in it and practice it on small scale...also gardening and preserving vegies and meat that I hunt...i also am schooling my kids..i feel that kids still need the 3r's..or we will have the same educational crisis that our young people face now..they can't do anything without technology...

.i feel that kids still need the 3r's..or we will have the same educational crisis that our young people face now..they can't do anything without technology...

To be frank, our kids today are frickin' stupid. (and yes, this includes mine). They have the smarts, but were simply never taught. They are my stepkids, so my wife and I didn't have any input until now (long story)...but we are trying to teach them. The idea of doing math in their head is so alien to them. I hate math, but I can still do calculations quicker than they can bring up the app on their phones and do the input. They say, "But we'll always have our phones with us, so why do I need to learn it?". Simple. So you aren't an idiot, and don't come off as one. How's that for a reason?

Nowadays, doing math in your head has become a sideshow trick it seems.

To be frank, our kids today are frickin' stupid. (and yes, this includes mine). They have the smarts, but were simply never taught. They are my stepkids, so my wife and I didn't have any input until now (long story)...but we are trying to teach them. The idea of doing math in their head is so alien to them. I hate math, but I can still do calculations quicker than they can bring up the app on their phones and do the input. They say, "But we'll always have our phones with us, so why do I need to learn it?". Simple. So you aren't an idiot, and don't come off as one. How's that for a reason?

not only the math which I agree with you but the reading and writing...here where I am at they use ipads n elementary schools and the thing reads to them...no text books anymore and they take there tests on them also....my second grader has been using the same 2 pencils since school started in mid August.....no wander the US has a generation of dummies growing up ....i honestly believe the government has created this so they can make citizens dependent on them.....but not my kids I am teaching them to be able to survive without the government....aka the old days

I hopefully will be of some sort of help and able to do a job. I can drive most anything, that's what I've done with the better portion of my life. Thrown in with that would be also a seamstress, I can make a bib or throw together a three piece suit with the wedding dress to go along and any other kind of crafty thing one would might like. Besides driving, my favorite thing is to cook and bake. That I have been doing for 52 yrs. In fact the best compliment that I feel I have ever received was when a friend told someone else that I could make a shit sandwich taste good. LOL Along with all that crowing I can grow a garden, tend to livestock (including milking by hand) and not afraid of hard work at all. So, when need be and it's time to roll our sleeves up and get things back in order I will be right there along with the rest of them. Just not here in Florida doing it...I hope. lol

Jeez... Let em know in calc BC it's all math either in your head or on the paper. I've used my calculator for only the second time this year today when I had to approximate errors and max errors of Taylor polynomials... You just can't afford not to be able to use your own head..

not only the math which I agree with you but the reading and writing...here where I am at they use ipads n elementary schools and the thing reads to them...no text books anymore and they take there tests on them also....my second grader has been using the same 2 pencils since school started in mid August.....no wander the US has a generation of dummies growing up ....i honestly believe the government has created this so they can make citizens dependent on them.....but not my kids I am teaching them to be able to survive without the government....aka the old days

If I ever hav kids they will be taught everything i know like survival on your own and deer guttINT/skinning

They will not be dependant on technology

If I ever hav kids they will be taught everything i know like survival on your own and deer guttINT/skinning

They will not be dependant on technology
I agree with you....my kids think of it as a chore right now helping me do things but when the time comes they will already know what to do and how to do it....very valuable lessons

What's funny, is that my kids see their chores as such impositions....and gripe about them. They talk as if when living on their own, they won't have to do them.... Just because you are on your own...unless you're getting a maid, you'll still have to take out the garbage bucky!!!

Kids today are truly Dependant on technolo aand the ggovernment its not obe of my friends is aalways n non stop amd it pisses me off he's gonan get ts comin to tim soon

Kids today are truly Dependant on technolo aand the ggovernment its not obe of my friends is aalways n non stop amd it pisses me off he's gonan get ts comin to tim soon
I think I got your message? ;) lol

one thing I've noticed in this topic...what if there's 6 or more to a group..it's best to have 3 or more that's good/great at the same thing..be it gardening canning plumbing etc etc..on account if just 1 person can do a certain job at hand,and if said person falls ill for a few days or dies.then who's gonna take over their responsibility(s)?

Latest posts

Back