Post-collapse economy

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ready4Nukes

Reaction score
I am a firm believer that the economy will collapse sooner rather than later. I also believe that what is valuable today might not be so valuable post-collapse, and things that might be cheap now could be very valuable later.

I've begun to stalk up on lots of things I could forsee having substantial value in the future, particularly Mountain Dew™ and nukelear-resistant suits, as well as all sorts of weaponry, certain music CD's, cologne...the list goes on and on. What types of things do you guys think might be worth more in the future? I'm stalking up on lots of things but I feel like I need some new ideas.

Oh, and alcohol, I've got that covered. Lots and lots of alcohol, of almost every variety (except real Absinthe because you can't get the good stuff here in the US).

I think the only way to be ready for nukes is to be FAR FAR AWAY from ground zero!

As far as what to stock up on for barter, 22 lr. (if you can find it) LOL, I think everyone had the same idea, which is why you can't find any.

An advantage of using 22lr for barter instead of centerfire is, you won't be outgunned by your customers :rolleyes:

Im getting stuff like cheapo shampoos, soaps, lotions and stuff like that. Its easy on the budget and will make great trade items! As well as clothing and shoes that I happen to see on sale. I also think one of the most valuable 'commodities' will be certain skill sets. Thats one reason I'm going into the medical field. :D

I am a firm believer that the economy will collapse sooner rather than later. I also believe that what is valuable today might not be so valuable post-collapse, and things that might be cheap now could be very valuable later.

I've begun to stalk up on lots of things I could forsee having substantial value in the future, particularly Mountain Dew™ and nukelear-resistant suits, as well as all sorts of weaponry, certain music CD's, cologne...the list goes on and on. What types of things do you guys think might be worth more in the future? I'm stalking up on lots of things but I feel like I need some new ideas.

Oh, and alcohol, I've got that covered. Lots and lots of alcohol, of almost every variety (except real Absinthe because you can't get the good stuff here in the US).

I thinks bullets lots of bullets you should be able to trade them after just short time of the fall of our economy. I agree with you about alcohol always will be a winner people will need to drink to forget about the hard times they are in better yet a still to make the alcohol would be better

back packs.tote bags..the diffrent camping stuff.tents sleeping bags camp stoves fuel for them.hunting knifes.work/hikeing boots and shoes.kids toys and games seeing how some will have children.lots n lots of extra food n water..cigarettes and cigars..

I've just started to begin prepping and I'm on a very low budget as I have an 8 month old baby girl but Ive begun with hygiene items and food and water of course but I'm going to start rolling my own cigarettes as they will be of high barter value post economic collapse. Smokers cannot go for very long without them.

I think ammo. Hell 22lr is something of value and trading now. I love a 22 and my son and I.burn thought it on the weekends. I buy it in 1400 round tubs.

I think shampoos, soaps, and perfumes will have some trade value. Of course if people are wanting to trade that means they arnt prepared and probably won't have anything I need. Cds will be worthless as I suspect there will be a lack of power. Records on the other hand...

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1383922984190.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1383922984190.jpg
    107.4 KB · Views: 11
Nuke resistant suit ? thats funny dude ! Food , water, guns , ammo , cigarettes , whiskey, narcotics or any other drugs , hygiene products (esp. for the ladies ) , boots , gloves ,hand tools , chainsaws , gas /oil , on and on , supply and demand ........There is an extensive list on one of these forums , now where is it ?

Wow seems like a lot has been covered already!
I want to add in food that stores for a long while - protein bars, jerky, ect , and water purification bottles/systems will be priceless if its a large SHTF situation. I also think animals will become a bartering tool- typical farm animals or whatever else people can catch.
I think at least in the beginning food and water will be the most sought after item-ya cant eat bullets
after that, who knows
Im not planning on trading with others because Im hoping no one shows up where I am- dont want other people poking around thinking it might be easier to steal what I have instead of trading for it.

**I know it sounds selfish, but I work hard for what I have I dont want some idiot showing up thinking it would be better to off me and keep it for him/her self

Last edited:
Beans bullets and band aids. Food and water stocked up, then a way to keep it, then medical and hygiene supplies.

"Smokers cannot go for very long without them." After a week a smoker without ciggs is a non smoker, unless they just _want_ to keep doing it. Better to stock up on matches, prep money is better spent on stuff that is useful. Tradable items are great, batteries, chap stick, nail clippers, tampons, condoms, light bulbs, ammo etc etc. Number of smokers is low and getting lower. Better to have trade items that more people need/ want. Quit and save the money for other stuff.

Far as "will it collapse" it's collapsing now....we keep printing money that's worthless to "lend" to ourselves at interest to pay for stuff we shouldn't do, with money we don't have. We're the Weimar Republic pre collapse.

I dont want to be around people enough to trade with them myself... as for ammo if I had some I would not give it up for anything... you cant survive without protection or meat and if it is that unwound or the government bans ammo you are not going to want to trade it for anything. the government banning it is a bigger threat and trading it will be like dealing drugs with overkill punishments to boot. stick with skills that will make you useful to others post collapse so they will have a reason to keep you alive and safe... basic medical skills, hunting and defensive skills, know and be capable to make something useful like alcohol and how to fix anything.

Cigarettes will quickly become easy money. High demand, easy to divide up (to allow for different prices for other trade goods), light, easy to carry. This is pretty much a slam dunk in the post SHTF money department.

Booze is another.

The nice thing about both of these, is that I have little use for them myself, so no problem trading them for more important things.

Other items: (but things you'll need too)

Seeds
Batteries
Candles
Fuel
Preserved/Canned Food
Medical Supplies
Ammo (of course)

More importantly though, those with skills will be in the best position. For one, they have something always in demand, for another, they are too valuable to kill.

Medical Personnel
Ability to distill fuel
Ability to grow/preserve food, and/or medicinals
Ability to distill alcohol
Ability to fix/build things (mechanic, tradesman, etc.)
Soldier
Prostitute (hey, it's the world's oldest profession for a reason)
Hunter
Electrician
Engineer
Many others I'm sure.

Having a skill or skills to consistently be able to trade for things you need is the BEST strategy for trade.

Cigarettes will quickly become easy money. High demand, easy to divide up (to allow for different prices for other trade goods), light, easy to carry. This is pretty much a slam dunk in the post SHTF money department.

Booze is another.

The nice thing about both of these, is that I have little use for them myself, so no problem trading them for more important things.

Other items: (but things you'll need too)

Seeds
Batteries
Candles
Fuel
Preserved/Canned Food
Medical Supplies
Ammo (of course)

More importantly though, those with skills will be in the best position. For one, they have something always in demand, for another, they are too valuable to kill.

Medical Personnel
Ability to distill fuel
Ability to grow/preserve food, and/or medicinals
Ability to distill alcohol
Ability to fix/build things (mechanic, tradesman, etc.)
Soldier
Prostitute (hey, it's the world's oldest profession for a reason)
Hunter
Electrician
Engineer
Many others I'm sure.

Having a skill or skills to consistently be able to trade for things you need is the BEST strategy for trade.

Are saying you are going to wear a thong, sing YMCA, and entertain other men after a financial collapse gazrok ? :eek:

anyway, don't forget plummer. the world would smell pretty bad if there was not a single plummer.... not to mention all the people getting sick because they don't have good sanitation.

Last edited:
Hehe, no, I don't think anyone wants to see that...maybe in my younger years, when I looked a lot like Ashton Kutcher, but not now.....

As for plumbers, any tradesmen, of course, but the plumber will have to get his head more around gravity fed systems vs. electric pumps, etc. most likely.

Latest posts

Back