Portable HAM Radios...???

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I Quit

Reaction score
(Bear in mind, I know next to nothing about communications....) Is there anyone here that can advise me about portable HAM radios? I can barely rely on my cell phone NOW, I don't want to have to rely on it WSHTF. (rural area, spotty reception)

I've seen portable HAM radios advertised. I know that one is supposed to be licensed to use them. How difficult or complicated are they to use? If ,and when, I have to bug out-I'm going to be living quite primitively, in a forest or marsh somewhere. Will I be able to use the portable HAM anywhere? I'd appreciate any advice that anyone might be able to offer.

I fill the same way I want one but I don't want to pay the fees or go to class to use it I want one just in case.

If I find that it will actually be useful for my needs, I have no problem getting the licensing. I just don't want to put the cart before the horse.

(Bear in mind, I know next to nothing about communications....) Is there anyone here that can advise me about portable HAM radios? I can barely rely on my cell phone NOW, I don't want to have to rely on it WSHTF. (rural area, spotty reception)

I've seen portable HAM radios advertised. I know that one is supposed to be licensed to use them. How difficult or complicated are they to use? If ,and when, I have to bug out-I'm going to be living quite primitively, in a forest or marsh somewhere. Will I be able to use the portable HAM anywhere? I'd appreciate any advice that anyone might be able to offer.

Hello Bucksnort,
I have a Ham License.
Are you talking about hand held Ham Radio? I have a Yaesu FT-270 5 Watt hand held in 2 Meter Band. It's a plug & play. You can program it to remember Repeater frequencies, but other than that it's easy. It comes with a Rubber Duck Antenna but you will not get much range on that antenna. I put a 5/8 wave antenna Diamond RH-205 144 MHz. With an outdoor antenna ( Inverted V dipole) I can reach a repeater about 65 miles away loud and clear.
For Tech license most everybody starts on 2 meter band. I paid $99 for my Yaesu. I use it when we get bad weather. Now 2 meter band is VHF. VHF is line of sight so the higher the antenna the longer the distance, as well as how much power your transmitting with. My 5 watts isn't that much, but I can hit all local repeaters with no problem.

Better to Prepare for Nothing, then be unprepared for Something.

Hello Bucksnort,
I have a Ham License.
Are you talking about hand held Ham Radio? I have a Yaesu FT-270 5 Watt hand held in 2 Meter Band. It's a plug & play. You can program it to remember Repeater frequencies, but other than that it's easy. It comes with a Rubber Duck Antenna but you will not get much range on that antenna. I put a 5/8 wave antenna Diamond RH-205 144 MHz. With an outdoor antenna ( Inverted V dipole) I can reach a repeater about 65 miles away loud and clear.
For Tech license most everybody starts on 2 meter band. I paid $99 for my Yaesu. I use it when we get bad weather. Now 2 meter band is VHF. VHF is line of sight so the higher the antenna the longer the distance, as well as how much power your transmitting with. My 5 watts isn't that much, but I can hit all local repeaters with no problem.

Better to Prepare for Nothing, then be unprepared for Something.
Thanks for the information! I am looking into some radio, but my problem is i have rules in my neighbor hood and a big ### antenna is going to get me in a heap of trouble from the association.

Thanks for the information! I am looking into some radio, but my problem is i have rules in my neighbor hood and a big ### antenna is going to get me in a heap of trouble from the association.

What kind of antenna? VHF or HF ? A big Yagi ?
Rules for Ham antenna with the exeption of tower height comes under Federal Law. You may have to fight it, but in the end you will win.

Latest posts

Back