Portable Generators

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clyde

H.M.F.I.C.
Reaction score
I thought I would start a thread on generators. I know in a bug out situation they may not be the most practical Item.

However, In the case of natural disasters where bugging out is not needed a generator might be quite useful. especially if you desire to reside in a FEMA camp or with the Red Cross.

I found the following buying guide from Harbor Freight Tools.

Portable generators are ideal for providing power to lights and home appliances during power outages, enabling power tool usage at remote job locations, and powering up electronics during camping trips and tailgating parties.

Two of the main considerations when selecting a portable generator are the running watts, also known as Output Watts, and starting watts, or Maximum Output Watts. Output Watts is the power needed to run a given device at normal functionality. Many devises need more power to start up (Maximum Output Watts) and then require less power (Rated Watts) to run continually. For example, a refrigerator requires 2200 starting wattage with a 700 running wattage, so you would need a generator with at least 2200 watt maximum output (Harbor Freight Tools, 2012).
predater-gen-3.jpg
I hope this helps people out.​

Yes generators will be great, if you can syphon enough gas out of the parking lot of cars, which i will probably be doing lol.

Yes generators will be great, if you can syphon enough gas out of the parking lot of cars, which i will probably be doing lol.
You and me both. I know the gas situation will be a problem. I figure gas will be one of the top things people will go out on recon missions for (next to food and water).

During Katraina my generator came in very handy but only if you know problems are coming can you stock up on gas I was lucky I got 40 gallons before she hit but the worst came after the gas staion couldnt keep up . My supply lasted pretty close to two week .Run you frig for three hour to keep freezer up and then let it rest and then at night had a small one room a/c and the frig at night when both are good you can sleep at night.LATER

During Katraina my generator came in very handy but only if you know problems are coming can you stock up on gas I was lucky I got 40 gallons before she hit but the worst came after the gas staion couldnt keep up . My supply lasted pretty close to two week .Run you frig for three hour to keep freezer up and then let it rest and then at night had a small one room a/c and the frig at night when both are good you can sleep at night.LATER
I would like to get one as I live in earthquake country,
However with earthquakes you don't get any advanced warnings like you do with hurricanes. In fact we just had a small earthquake hit about 15 miles from me in a city called Yorba Linda. It was a 4.1 quake.

Generators are good to have, but not the best as far as prepping goes, it will draw a lot of unwanted attention to you and your location.

That is understandable, but what happens when your area is hit and you don't have a generator then what??????? Just asking.....

That is understandable, but what happens when your area is hit and you don't have a generator then what??????? Just asking.....
luckily i have 2 friends who have them. all of us are super close by and have already discussed joining forces in the event of a major quake. Total I have 4 generators by me

My concern is how loud my generator is, If the power is out, everyone in the city is going to hear it. Honda is the way to go, super quiet.

My concern is how loud my generator is, If the power is out, everyone in the city is going to hear it. Honda is the way to go, super quiet.
Noise discipline is a concern when using one. I just used a 2000 watt yamaha this past weekend. I was not overly impressed with the noise.

i think you can also convert generators to take alcohol as fuel.
as far as noise goes, you can always dig a hole like 6' deep and make a small underground shelter for it, but remember to make an exaust shaft. that should quiet down the noise by alot.

as far as noise goes, you can always dig a hole like 6' deep and make a small underground shelter for it, but remember to make an exaust shaft. that should quiet down the noise by alot.
That is a great idea, thanks !

You will also need to make sure you have some good air circulation as the majority of them are air cooled.

if your really worried about noise you may want to think about the rv gen exaust i know mines real quiet on it.and if need be i can install a fullsize car muffler

if your really worried about noise you may want to think about the rv gen exaust i know mines real quiet on it.and if need be i can install a fullsize car muffler
Damn good idea!
What size RV do you have?
How many watt generator is required to run it?

I am wanting to buy a trailer in the not too distant future.

Damn good idea!
What size RV do you have?
How many watt generator is required to run it?

I am wanting to buy a trailer in the not too distant future.
i have an older 25 ft it has a 4000 watt generator.best part is its fully self contained

Latest posts

Back