Portable Generators

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Any ideas about fuel storage?

I have nice 6500 Honda genset that is whisper quite. I always have a 5 gal jug with fuel mainly used for the lawn tractor.
I'm thinking of storing a good quantity of fuel. I have a few nice clean 55 gal drums (originally used as for racing fuel). How long do you think the fuel would remain good? Would a fuel stabilizer help?

I also have a 7000 watt Onan genset in my motor home. Unfortunately it is setup for propane i can't afford to run it heck, I can't afford to fill the motor home with diesel.

Any ideas about fuel storage?

I have nice 6500 Honda genset that is whisper quite. I always have a 5 gal jug with fuel mainly used for the lawn tractor.
I'm thinks of storing a good quantity of fuel. I have a few nice clean 55 gal drums (originally used as for racing fuel). How long do you think the fuel would remain good? Would a fuel stabilizer help?

I also have a 7000 watt Onan genset in my motor home. Unfortunately it is setup for propane i can't afford to run it heck, I can't afford to fill the motor home with diesel.
If it was me i would put the gas in five gallon containers and rotate it. Put the older gas in my car and then fill up the five container.

If it was me i would put the gas in five gallon containers and rotate it. Put the older gas in my car and then fill up the five container.
just be careful the new ethanol fuel will separate and go bad a lot quicker than the old gas would. I have seen our trucks at work sit for a few months and it actually eat the rubber pick up hoses in the tank.

i would agree with Colt here.
if the quality of gas is good/great the longer it will sit, but you cant trust gas qualitys these days, alot are mixed with water even.
gas inna 55 gallon could possably last 6 months to a year if air sealed, however it runs the risk of turning to turpintine, and if your inna sticky situation, can you really afford the risk?

you cant bury a generator the guy who said about it bein air cooled is right BUT ALSO you will need an air feed to the air filter and all you will have is a buried generator over heating and the 2 noisy bits (the air intake and the exhaust) will have to be sticking out or screaming down some pipes, therefore reducing your decibels by about none lol

however a genset from a ship is in a sound reducing box designed for the generator,,,, theyd do the trick........ sorry or from an rv

you cant bury a generator the guy who said about it bein air cooled is right BUT ALSO you will need an air feed to the air filter and all you will have is a buried generator over heating and the 2 noisy bits (the air intake and the exhaust) will have to be sticking out or screaming down some pipes, therefore reducing your decibels by about none lol
Oreck makes a scilent centrifical fan???

Oreck makes a scilent centrifical fan???

the fan may be silent but the hole for the air still remains and the noise from the gen not the fan escapes, you just need one in a box like one from an rv or boat or whatever

I do a lot of traveling and RV generators can be very quiet. Onan makes some ultra quiet generators for motor-homes. I'm not sure of the price but I think I would like one that runs on diesel. I'm not 100% sure on this but don't diesel engines run on other things besides diesel? In a disaster situation gas might not be readily available and I would want something more versitile.

boombox insulation.

they use it in trunks to cut down noise/vibration, maybe useful on a generator, and/or to line the vent shaft itself.

And booter360 they do make very nice setups and do cut noise. NorthStar or PowerHorse make good gens, i own a few myself, they work great and very well. And something to keep in mind , Electric, Electri - Recoil , Recoil - diffrent start types. If you didnt already know.

I know this thread is like 6 months old but I thought I would chime my two cents in. http://www.myfoodstorage.com/other-products-1/power-fuel.html This link will take you to a site that has solar generators that are noiseless. Here are the general details for one of the ones they are offering. It's $1700 and it won't power a whole house, but for a bug out shelter that is already in place it seems ideal.

The Portable Silent Generator is a silent, clean, safe, and portable lithium based silent generator.
The Portable Silent Generator can be charged from a regular AC wall outlet, or it can capture and store energy from solar panels, a hand crank, windmill or almost any other 12VDC power source.
The Portable Silent Generator stores the captured power in a state of the art Lithium Battery pack to be taken with you and used whenever or where ever you might need it.
The Sentinel has two 110VAC outlets, two 12VDC outlet and four USB outlets to allow you to easily power whatever appliances you need without the need for any inverters or adapters.
Whether you need to power a fridge, laptop computer, lights during an emergency or power outage, or whether you want to watch TV in the woods, the Sentinel will give you the power when you need it.
With the whole package weighing in at 40 lbs, it’s portable enough to take wherever you want to go. Without any noise, gas or harmful emissions, the Sentinel provides power on demand that is quiet and safe enough to use inside your home, car or even your tent.
Capturing power with or using power from your Portable Silent Generator couldn't be easier- just plug it in and switch it on!
With a 10 year battery shelf life and a rating of over 2,000 charges, the generator can be counted on when you need it most.
With a lithium battery pack that can sit for over a year without needing to be charged (we recommend charging once every 6 months), the generator will store well in your closet and always be ready to power your appliances when you need them most.

Latest posts

Back