Portable Butane Stoves

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Overlord

Reaction score
Guys, just want to ask your opinion on those portable butane stoves. I got a set and have about 20 canisters (for back-up) if the power goes out.

My mom and siblings say that this is very unsafe and I should not be using it. Based on my research CMIIW, it is as safe as LPG or Natural Gas.

Guys, just want to ask your opinion on those portable butane stoves. I got a set and have about 20 canisters (for back-up) if the power goes out.

My mom and siblings say that this is very unsafe and I should not be using it. Based on my research CMIIW, it is as safe as LPG or Natural Gas.

I never had a problem.

Good things for a short camping trip in the bush/forest. I take mine on day trips in the bush for boiling the Billy and cooking snags..

Good things for a short camping trip in the bush/forest. I take mine on day trips in the bush for boiling the Billy and cooking snags..

How about as a back-up in a SHTF scenario where I have to bug-in? This is because we use electrical cooking appliances in the condo.

Yep good choice Overlord. Not much can go wrong with them. I have had a single burner for about 5 years with no problems at all ;) and I just recently purchased a double burner...

Yep good choice Overlord. Not much can go wrong with them. I have had a single burner for about 5 years with no problems at all ;) and I just recently purchased a double burner...

Thanks DD. will boost my stocks on that. currently have 30 250g canisters. good for about 2 months on stretch mode

I like the idea so much I too have one.
But. like others have said, make sure you are in a well ventilated area!

I got mine in an Asian market. I'll have to drag it out and take a picture.

Here you go. This is the one I have.
Stove 001.jpg
Stove 002.jpg

Loomis, how many cans do you have? What is your calculation on your daily consumption of butane cans? Am checking if my estimates are correct based on my calculations (see below).

I calculated about 3 hours cooking time per can. Cooking Rice and heating/cooking meat/veggies, etc. once a day, I estimate a can every two days in stretch mode.

The average price of a can here is about $1.75. I kinda wait for sales like recently, got 12 cans (3 packs of buy 3 get 1 free).

Loomis, how many cans do you have? What is your calculation on your daily consumption of butane cans? Am checking if my estimates are correct based on my calculations (see below).

I calculated about 3 hours cooking time per can. Cooking Rice and heating/cooking meat/veggies, etc. once a day, I estimate a can every two days in stretch mode.

The average price of a can here is about $1.75. I kinda wait for sales like recently, got 12 cans (3 packs of buy 3 get 1 free).
I have what you see there. I've never had to used it. I do think that the type of cookware would have something to do with the amount you use though.

I have what you see there. I've never had to used it. I do think that the type of cookware would have something to do with the amount you use though.

For my butane stove, i have a separate set of cookware. They are a bit thinner than what I would normally use in the house. I have a small kettle (for rice) and a small frying pan with a cover.

More of a propane guy myself, but I can't knock those burners.

that's very short term, expensive stuff. Paraffin is a bit over $1 per lb on the net. 1/2 of a 50 gallon drum of it will do all of one person's cooking for a year. :) Nothing to wear out or break, no leaks, no spills (once it solidifies). very little of it needs to be melted at any one time, just to cook food, you know. and it solidifies again in mere minutes, even in hot weather. If it's set up properly, there's almost no visible light or smoke, very little smell of it burning, either.

It's not at all wise to think in terms of cooking with wood, if shtf, much less needing such to stay warm. the latter must be dealt with by means of clothing, shelter, insulation/protection from the elements. flames and smoke will call in your killers. Movement/noise to gather wood, the "sign" you leave when you cut wood, etc, will all be very bad news, when the desperate are everywhere.

flames and smoke will call in your killers.

At night, in a world without power? You'd be lucky to see your hand in front of your face most places.

u still gotta get the wood for that fire pit, and it wont keep you warm worth a hoot, either. you sit on top of that thing, or have it in a shelter, it can kill you, CO2 or carbon monoxide building up in there. you still leave sign cutting wood, walking around in snow, still make noise and get seen. A firepit helps, but not enough. Flames, or any sort of light, can be seen for almost 30 miles, if you get up high enough above the source of light. You go over the curve of the earth in 15 miles or something like that, so flat land limits line of sight.

Latest posts

Back