Portable Butane Stoves

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
that's very short term, expensive stuff. Paraffin is a bit over $1 per lb on the net. 1/2 of a 50 gallon drum of it will do all of one person's cooking for a year. :) Nothing to wear out or break, no leaks, no spills (once it solidifies). very little of it needs to be melted at any one time, just to cook food, you know. and it solidifies again in mere minutes, even in hot weather. If it's set up properly, there's almost no visible light or smoke, very little smell of it burning, either.

It's not at all wise to think in terms of cooking with wood, if shtf, much less needing such to stay warm. the latter must be dealt with by means of clothing, shelter, insulation/protection from the elements. flames and smoke will call in your killers. Movement/noise to gather wood, the "sign" you leave when you cut wood, etc, will all be very bad news, when the desperate are everywhere.

If I was at the farm (my BOL), I would have no problem since I have a lot of coconut husks, etc. to make firewood.

My current location is a condo unit and it is more practical to have a stock of butane or lpg as my alternative source for cooking.

u still gotta get the wood for that fire pit, and it wont keep you warm worth a hoot, either. you sit on top of that thing, or have it in a shelter, it can kill you, CO2 or carbon monoxide building up in there. you still leave sign cutting wood, walking around in snow, still make noise and get seen. A firepit helps, but not enough. Flames, or any sort of light, can be seen for almost 30 miles, if you get up high enough above the source of light. You go over the curve of the earth in 15 miles or something like that, so flat land limits line of sight.

Chill man, different strokes for different folks. This isn't a one way street.

Latest posts

Back