Polytunnels

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elpresidente

Reaction score
Just looking for advice on polytunnels, are they safe to leave up all year round or dose the cover have to be removed in winter? We get some pretty wild winter storms in Wales with sustained wind speeds of 60- 70 mph sometimes for several days. I was going to dig a ditch around the Polytunnel and bury the skirt will this be enough to secure. The problem is we can have very high winds in the spring too. All advice received with gratitude.

Just looking for advice on polytunnels, are they safe to leave up all year round or dose the cover have to be removed in winter? We get some pretty wild winter storms in Wales with sustained wind speeds of 60- 70 mph sometimes for several days. I was going to dig a ditch around the Polytunnel and bury the skirt will this be enough to secure. The problem is we can have very high winds in the spring too. All advice received with gratitude.

Not sure about wind tolerance levels but it really will depend on how exposed the polytunnel is to the wind in your location. Also is there a possibility any trees, branches or debris could fall on to the cover and damage it? If there is any heavy snowfall it should be pushed off it it doesn't slide off. The plastic they use will have to be replaced eventually and that isn't very eco friendly.

I went with a glass greenhouse in the end because I figured the extra money spent now would save me in the long run, but only time will tell if that is true and they normally aren't as big as a polytunnel.

Not sure about wind tolerance levels but it really will depend on how exposed the polytunnel is to the wind in your location. Also is there a possibility any trees, branches or debris could fall on to the cover and damage it? If there is any heavy snowfall it should be pushed off it it doesn't slide off. The plastic they use will have to be replaced eventually and that isn't very eco friendly.

I went with a glass greenhouse in the end because I figured the extra money spent now would save me in the long run, but only time will tell if that is true and they normally aren't as big as a polytunnel.
Snow isn’t normally an issue as some winters don’t have any at all. No trees either in its planned location but exposed to the prevailing west/south westerly winds but they can be just as bad in the spring. I guess I’ll have to risk it and make sure the skirt is well buried.

Have you seen the underground greenhouse? The main body is dug into the ground with a glass roof or poly on a frame. If you have a digger or can borrow/ rent one for a few days, might offer a lot more protection against Welsh winds. A bit more work but might last longer.

Think I’ve decided to go with a large Polycarbonate greenhouse only slightly more expensive but will outlast polythene many times over and should standup to our wild welsh winters. Thanks for responses.

Take a look at the poly tunnel a couple put up two years ago in Alaska. It is still doing fine. They are on YouTube as Simple Living Alaska.

Latest posts

Back