Polar Vortex 2021

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This was a great lesson for this Texan who doesn't even own a pair of thermals. Ran out of firewood, ran out of meat in the freezer, milk, eggs, etc I do have my dehydrated serious crisis preps but just going by what is in the refrig and pantry- I could do better- Even with advance warning I did not expect the intensity this packed- I am blessed power has remained on for us- we have two generators and one propane heater. The 4wd was a life saver. I have to get a plan together and patch up these areas.View attachment 12209

Lesson numero uno EXPECT THE BEST BUT PREPARE FOR THE WORST.

Global warming/climate change are caused by the destruction of woodlands, building of subdivisions, buildings! When you see a construction worker taking a lunch break, he always goes and sits under a tree, Not out in the open! Even a 6 year old kid will tell you it is cooler in the woods than out in the open! He will also tell you he would rather walk bare footed in the meadow than on concrete or asphalt when it is sunny! Trees create Oxygen we need to breathe and take in carbon monoxide and carbon dioxide which are harmful to us. Over population, of humans, only add to cause! Never understood how these so called "Scientist" can't, or won't, figure this out? We will soon deplete all our natural resources and have no more land to build on, wonder what these "scientist" will say then?

You also NEVER sit under a tree during a Thunderstorm :)

In north Texas, I have learned so far, I need a manual thermometer for indoors. It’s cold, but I never know how cold until the power comes back on (digital thermostat). We bought a portable mini generator/ charger a few months ago. Unfortunately we don’t have room for a large generator in suburbia. We bought the charger just to have, but didn’t have anything in mind. We plugged it in and other than a cell phone or laptop, it will heat a heating pad. We are getting one that will do at least a space heater.

Last edited:
A nice -30 C here this morning. I was reading somewhere that in Texas there was rolling blackouts because it went so cold the wind turbines wouldn't work. If that is true I hope the ones they build here are suitable for Finnish winters.

A nice -30 C here this morning. I was reading somewhere that in Texas there was rolling blackouts because it went so cold the wind turbines wouldn't work. If that is true I hope the ones they build here are suitable for Finnish winters.
I have heard it is because we don’t winterize our grid because it never gets this cold or snows this much.
But they are already debating it... which means it will be political. That turns into a fight to be right rather than just the truth. Which means you should prep and not rely on others. I have already seen what trusting the government will get you.

Hunny had to go over to son 3's house today to help fix a busted water pipe. Finally got it fixed but
still no water. . . Turns out that his water company lost power so can not pump water for the customers. My mom's city is having a problem with burst pipes throughout the city so she has low water pressure and under a boil water notice.

So far, our water supply from our county has been good. We did drain all the lines from the well so that is not an option this time. I have drinkable water stored in the house to use if need be and for animals and toilets it would be the LNVA canal water.

For heat, we only use wood in both the fireplace and wood stove so we always have a good amount of wood stored. My sister who lost her electricity was using her gas fireplace to stay warm. Here a lot of homes are all electric. Mainly the older homes would have both electric and gas.
Glad your smart enough to get through this better than most. I had little doubt of that. Does seem like this would be a wake up call for more people to be prepared but most will forget about it within days of power and water being restored. Stay safe, and warm.

We drained the lines from our well to our outside hydrants just in case, last week. House water working fine. Our pipes in our basement at least are warm. My nephew in Oklahoma had to take a heater down to his to keep his pipes from freezing. So far, so good.

In north Texas, I have learned so far, I need a manual thermometer for indoors. It’s cold, but I never know how cold until the power comes back on (digital thermostat). We bought a portable mini generator/ charger a few months ago. Unfortunately we don’t have room for a large generator in suburbia. We bought the charger just to have, but didn’t have anything in mind. We plugged it in and other than a cell phone or laptop, it will heat a heating pad. We are getting one that will do at least a space heater.
Could it do an electric blanket maybe? At least that would help you keep warm. If not I would plug in your heating pad, put in between you and your hunny and then throw as many blankets as you can on top of you. Snuggle even if your not snugglers for that added body heat during the night. ;) I keep a manual thermometer in my kitchen windowsill. It's just a convenient place so can glance at it washing dishes.

Glad your smart enough to get through this better than most. I had little doubt of that. Does seem like this would be a wake up call for more people to be prepared but most will forget about it within days of power and water being restored. Stay safe, and warm.
And that is what is so sad about these types of hard lessons. Whatever happened to the old saying of live and learn? Its now live and forget. . .

Could it do an electric blanket maybe? At least that would help you keep warm. If not I would plug in your heating pad, put in between you and your hunny and then throw as many blankets as you can on top of you. Snuggle even if your not snugglers for that added body heat during the night. ;) I keep a manual thermometer in my kitchen windowsill. It's just a convenient place so can glance at it washing dishes.
Thanks! We did exactly as you suggested. The heating pad across the two of us and all the blankets on top. It worked out very well.

I genuinely feel for all the people across Texas. What seems like common sense to most of us here just isn’t common throughout most of the population. Being prepared with having water, ways to purify more, alternative ways to cook food, stay warm, etc. are so important, especially if you have children to care for. I was just watching the evening news and some of the scenes are definitely surreal for the Deep South. There was a picture of a ceiling fan in an apartment building that had icicles hanging from it. I hope everyone here is able to stay warm p, fed and reasonably comfortable in these areas.

Does anyone know if you need to keep your faucets dripping ( if it’s freezing outside) if you have power in your home and it’s warm.

Latest posts

Back