Poaching

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Schattentarn

A True Doomsday Prepper
Reaction score
The AR thread and discussion of hunting brought something to mind. There was a video or maybe more than one of people who have poached for a living. As they told it, they were down and out and had to hunt (deer) just to feed their families out of deer season. There were more than one of these guys but they all had the same story: hunting can be hard but poaching is easy. They said poaching is easy because you don't follow hunting rules. They were talking mainly about illuminating deer at night.

As a child my parents and I would go camping in the Sierras. My father would sprinkle salt on flat rocks around the campsite. First night, maybe one or two deer would show up to lick off the salt but the numbers grew night by night. I remember once we had 14 deer. Nowadays there are more and more and more deer everywhere. Now they are a road hazzard. It would seem to me a person could get all the deer he wanted using this method plus jacklighting the deer at night.

In a SHTF world there will be no hunting licenses or hunting season.

as part of your salt stock you prep livestock salt blocks - there won't only be deer that come for a lick >>> under the right conditions you might be able to trap livestock that escaped or was purposely allowed to roam - in a TEOTWAWKI situation they might be the only survivors left to re-establish a domestic herd .....

With poaching in a SHTF situation, I fear people without the knowledge to preserve, cure, make sausage (dried), they will waste meat due to spoilage.
Then go out and do it all over again.
I think there could be a depopulation of game . . . until the mass die off of people allow for game population to recover.

Then again, your average American does not know how to hunt, gut, clean and process so much as a chicken let alone a deer.
Some will learn by necessity. Others may not and end up getting themselves sick.

most Brits dont know how to butcher or gut an animal or fish either, if it dosent come in a nice plastic container they wont eat it, and if its got blood on it they'll run away screaming.
I've had grown men tell me "I wont eat Bambi" and the same probably applies to "Thumper"(Rabbit)!!

There will be an animal depopulation for sure. Fish will begin to disappear in a SHTF situation. There are so many deer in California that some depopulation might be good.

I don't think most people would have any problem cleaning fish and birds. Deer and larger animals are another story. I know nothing about doing it.

I don't think it would be a whole lot different than it is now as far as people having others do things for them. The only difference in a post SHTF world is they would need something to trade with the people who do know how to hunt and butcher animals.

So the people who do know how would be doing much more hunting than they would if it was just to feed their own families. And they'd be doing it with no limits.

Obviously this depends on the situation, number of people still around, and if there would be enough civility for some type of normal life to still exist.

Without regular foods being processed and shipped it wouldn't take long before animals would become scarce IMHO.

In Germany, there were many many rivers dammed up by beavers long ago. The rich ate the best of the meats in all of Europe and the poor peasants only got the leftovers (innards, organs) and were constantly hungry. The catholic church also was very strict on eating meat on Fridays and of course not everybody was a fisherman...sooooo, the church decided that beavers spend sooooo much time "in water", that they also "qualified" as being FISH!!! So much for the scientific knowledge of the church people....therefore the poor started hunting and trapping beaver almost to extinction. It will possibly happen again, there is a much higher population nowadays as compared to earlier centuries and many more have guns and bow/arrows and such.

This took a strange turn quick. In a post SHTF scenario (assuming a large part of the population is still alive) I would imagine that most animals would be hunted almost to the point of extinction fairly quickly.
I dont assume a large survival population, most are too unknowledgeable to survive, no survival skills, most preppers assume a 90+% mortality rate, maybe nearer 95%.

I think this thread highlights the need for groups or communities to plan for or develop a breeding program of what livestock is in the community.
For example, I would trade some of my pork for labor of bringing in hay for the winter, or for cutting, splitting and stacking of firewood.

the scenario as far as I am concerned is : 1. stores running out of food, no fresh deliveries to store because: 2. power grid has collapsed and no one has any power either in stores or in residential properties, the knock on "cascade" effect of all this is: SOCIETAL COLLAPSE.
I do NOT prepare for minor events, I have survived these in the past many times over and I suspect so have other members.

I think this thread highlights the need for groups or communities to plan for or develop a breeding program of what livestock is in the community.
For example, I would trade some of my pork for labor of bringing in hay for the winter, or for cutting, splitting and stacking of firewood.

I think I mentioned this but a few years back a neighbor came over and asked me if I wanted some fish (trout). He evidently caught more than he could eat but he went fishing almost every day so no need to freeze. I took the fish and gave him some oak wood in trade. He was as happy as I was.

Everywhere I have lived in the country there were hunters around so trading for meat does not sound that difficult. Especially if the meat cannot be frozen or dried.

Latest posts

Back