Please help

Prepper & Survivalism Forum

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

LGirl07

Reaction score
I am getting discouraged about prepping due to lack of funds mostly and no one that shares my ideas. Any motivation would be kindly appreciated. Thanks

Brent S

Top Poster
Reaction score
It dosen't take much money. Sure, it's nice to go out and buy a bunch of supplies, but knowledge is way more important. Get to a local library and read everything that interests you along prepping lines. I recycle and repurpose all kinds of salvaged things for prepping. As far as having others interested in it, lets face it, in a shtf scenario 80% of people are going to die. Do you really care if you're sharing interests with those kinds of people? I have always marched to my own beat, or acted on what I feel is right for me.

jimLE

A True Doomsday Prepper
Reaction score
im in same boat as you,when it comes to my funds and family alike..i simply go with what i like and prefer..while making sure it's a prep when needed.not everyone is gonna share the same ideas and all..and i've pretty much come to terms with that,even thoe that is discouraging most times..then i think.what if i didn't do this?.or what if i didn't do that?then we wouldn't be prepared for anything. take the short term power outages we've had since we moved where we live now.im (we're) prepared for that,when it comes to whats needed for tempary lights,in the way of lanterns and oil lamps.always remember one thing.one or more of your preps might make things lil bit better for you or someone else.but then again.that 1 item might save someones life,or yours..

Warriorhealer22

Reaction score
It can get discouraging at times. Live your life, do what you can. Be realistic- what are you prepping for? Like Brent S said, knowledge is key, not just stuff. Sure, there's all kinds of cool stuff out there to have, but what did the pioneers have when they crossed this country? Keep yourself healthy, if you buy something make sure it's of excellent quality and multiple uses. Stick to the basics. Sending a hug. Now get to learning! Feel free to ask any questions.

Gazrok

A True Doomsday Prepper
Reaction score
Start with a VERY basic BOB/GHB (Bug out Bag or Get Home Bag). I put my first one together for less than $50, though my current version costs much more. Basic suggestion below.

Biggest thing though.... YOU ARE ALLOWED TO DO THIS IN STEPS!!!

Don't think you have to do everything at once. Take it one step at a time, as you can afford to do so.

Backpack ($10-15 at Walmart)

Metal Water Bottle ($1 at Thrift Store/Goodwill)

Small First Aid Kit ($1 at Dollar Tree)

OTC Meds ($1 each at Dollar Tree)

Decent Knife (fixed blade or folding) ($10 at Walmart....upgrade when you can, but this will do)

Bic Lighters ($1)

Food Items (that will keep well in backpack, like granola bars, etc., hiking food) (Varies, but can get a lot at
Dollar Tree/Walmart....they even have Mountain House dehydrated meals at Walmart for about $6, but really, it's two servings too). Can boil the water in your metal water bottle....

Waterproof/Windproof Matches ($3)

Flashlight (LED) ($5, don't get one at Dollar Tree, they suck, pay a few extra bucks for an OK one)

Multi-Tool ($5-10, upgrade when you can, so you get a stronger one, but this will do)

Good Poncho ($10-15, you can get a few $1 ones if you want, plenty of uses for them, but for both rain protection and shelter assistance, a better more sturdy poncho is best)

Camping Fork (extendable) ($3)...with just a fire, you have to have some way to hold food over it. This is a good, cheap solution. Got mine at Walmart.

Money (quarters, bills in different denominations) - I know this is hard, but you can constantly add to it. Once you get about $50 in assorted currency (or more if you can spare it), wrap it up good some way, that makes it REALLY hard to get to, to discourage you from tapping into it, and truly keeping it there for an emergency.

Machete ($10-20) What can I say, you just can't go wrong with a machete. Weapon, making a path, or making a meal, there's a lot of uses for this. Try and keep it just attached to the bag though (to avoid breaking the law), and in a SHTF situation, have it strapped to your side/leg.

Other items you already have:

Change of Clothes (underwear, shirt, shorts/pants, socks)

Comfortable Shoes (just keep near your bag)

jimLE

A True Doomsday Prepper
Reaction score
the led flashlight i keep with me..(most of the time).i got at a advance auto parts store for $5.25 with tax..in which it has proven worth having in size and brightness alike....multi tool pliers at academy.i bought my 2nd one there..they've proven worth having to me..

Maverick

Top Poster
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Washington State - between 2 mountains and a river
I am getting discouraged about prepping due to lack of funds mostly and no one that shares my ideas. Any motivation would be kindly appreciated. Thanks
knowledge is invaluable and for the most part free and should come before all other preps, water, candles and cup of noodles/top ramen are relatively cheap ;)

Brent S

Top Poster
Reaction score
knowledge is invaluable and for the most part free and should come before all other preps, water, candles and cup of noodles/top ramen are relatively cheap ;)
I think a portable water filter may turn out to be cheaper than storing bottled water, but both are wise. I've woken up many time in my life and the tap didn't work, for whatever reason. It's really nice to have some bottled water to brush your teeth and make a cup of coffee with. The filter would be good if in an emergency you had to travel. Then you can drink from just about any source you can find. I can't agree with maverick any more, knowledge is first, then water, food and security. You can start there and then slowly build up to comforts.

Brent S

Top Poster
Reaction score
Great videos! I've got to learn to post them, as I read lots of cool stuff like that. Again, it would be nice to go buy a 400.00 berkey filter, but you can improvise for pennies. Look up my post on zeer pots and rocket stoves too, as these don't cost much either and are really functionable things to use.

jayson40

Reaction score
My wife and I get what we can when we can the first two types of items we get is water amd food. Last week it was canned vegetables. Next week beans and pasta.we have everything thing else. We ate going towards stuff that we wont need refrigerator or freezer for.

jayson40

Reaction score
Our bug out bags are ready double checked them today. Everything else blankets food we will grab when we head out if and when we ever have to.

Brent S

Top Poster
Reaction score
My wife and I get what we can when we can the first two types of items we get is water amd food. Last week it was canned vegetables. Next week beans and pasta.we have everything thing else. We ate going towards stuff that we wont need refrigerator or freezer for.
Having a stocked pantry of ready to eat food is just plain old common sense to me. Just remember to rotate, and eat what your buying. Just restock as its used.

Danil54grl

A True Doomsday Prepper
Reaction score
I could care less what people think of me or my lifestyle. . . I do what I do for me and my family. I do not make much every year, but the biggest money saver you can do is gardening. Raising your own food. If I remember right you are very limited on space? In a trailer park, right?? Even if it is in buckets. I lived on salads only with any other veggie I had out in the garden for three month straight with 1 lb of meat a week cut put to top them off. I ate these once a day and that was it. No I never got full for long but it is do able and you will survive. I have medical issues of being anemic and hypoglycemic, but didn't have much of a problem. Only on occasion and then I would just eat a little earlier or if it became a problem everyday, I made a batch of cookies and ate a couple a day just to balance out sugar levels. Thing is, you do what you got to do. Maybe this isn't the pep talk you were wanting

bigpaul

A True Doomsday Prepper
Reaction score
as far away from "civilisation" as i can get.
don't forget that 99% of the population are SHEEPLE, they haven't got a clue and never will have, so you are ahead of most people even if you only have a bit extra food in the cupboard, anything you can do increases that percentage. also skills and knowledge take very little money and even less storage space.

jayson40

Reaction score
I could care less what people think of me or my lifestyle. . . I do what I do for me and my family. I do not make much every year, but the biggest money saver you can do is gardening. Raising your own food. If I remember right you are very limited on space? In a trailer park, right?? Even if it is in buckets. I lived on salads only with any other veggie I had out in the garden for three month straight with 1 lb of meat a week cut put to top them off. I ate these once a day and that was it. No I never got full for long but it is do able and you will survive. I have medical issues of being anemic and hypoglycemic, but didn't have much of a problem. Only on occasion and then I would just eat a little earlier or if it became a problem everyday, I made a batch of cookies and ate a couple a day just to balance out sugar levels. Thing is, you do what you got to do. Maybe this isn't the pep talk you were wanting
I'm the same way noedical wise o do what is best fory wife and kids and I do not care what people say.

Latest posts