Please critique my plan

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joe5858

Reaction score
i live in north jersey (20 miles from Manhattan center) and work in nyc. I work in financial services. My wife and I are 28 and in good health. We are expecting our first child.

I am concerned with an airborne virus, chemical terrorist attack and to a lesser degree nuclear attack.

I will purchase...

-non perishable food for 20 days stay
-Lakeland tychem level b br400 suit
-DuPont tyvek 1414 suit, disposable elastic
-3m powerflow face-mounted 6900 pf papr
-radiation pills
-chemical tape
-disposable gloves
-skin decon kit

My questions...

1. What can I do to protect a newborn baby in a disaster scenario?
2. Am I right to assume that if we keep the baby in the house, it will be protected from most airborne viruses and chemical attacks in a disaster scenario (as long as my town is not the epicenter of the attack). It is sufficient for most scenarios to have suits for the adults in case they need to leave the house?
3. I cannot bring all this gear to work. What mobile protection gear would you suggest purchasing for protection while I am in the city during the day?
4. Any essential gear I am missing? I realize I can not protect against all disaster scenarios but would like to protect against as much as possible.

Thank you

(20 miles from Manhattan center) is that country or town/city? or suburb?

wood burning stove,and at least 2 or 3 cords more firewood,then what yall already use each winter...(just to be on the safe side of not running out)
oil lamps and candles..
plenty of warm clothes blankets.
extra store bought water

3. I cannot bring all this gear to work. What mobile protection gear would you suggest purchasing for protection while I am in the city during the day?

learn how long it'll take you to get home from work by the way of transportation,and on foot.
then plan as if you'll be on foot no matter what.this way you'll be prepared for that.
sleeping bag
warm clothes
plenty of food for the time it'll take you go that distance and leanth of time.be 1 day or 3 days.then maybe add 2-3 days to that..
water
might even learn how to build temporary shelter for trip home...
different
fire starters like flint n steel,as well as matches and lighters.one is liable to work when others wont..

if you plan to bug in,you need something to seal your place incase of your fears come true,clear thick plastic and alot of tape so you can seal of your windows and doors..and ventilation also..
a light weight "bunny suit" and a good facemask goes in a very small bag,but walking with a facemask/gasmask is hard work,practice...

First of all, welcome.

For a nuclear attack, about the only thing you can do in your location is hope that NYC is hit by some smaller nukes. At 20 miles, you're going to get radiation no matter how you slice it with anything bigger than a common ICBM warhead. Without a shelter, you're getting it.

For your particular concerns, add the following to your list:

Lots and lots of rolled plastic sheeting and duct tape
Research ways to give potassium iodide safely to infant (i.e. radiation pills)
CIPRO and other anti-bio terrorism medicinals
Stockpile bottled water, diapers, baby food

Assemble a Get Home Bag (basic supplies).

1. What can I do to protect a newborn baby in a disaster scenario?

Same as anyone, just have to think smaller and solutions for the child not being able to do things on his/her own.

2. Am I right to assume that if we keep the baby in the house, it will be protected from most airborne viruses and chemical attacks in a disaster scenario (as long as my town is not the epicenter of the attack). It is sufficient for most scenarios to have suits for the adults in case they need to leave the house?

Even with suits, you'll need a decontamination area for the entrance/exit. Otherwise, will come in with you ON the suit/gear. Lots of sites with this info. This is also where that plastic sheeting comes in, but keep in mind, you'll also need a way to keep cool, and airflow without outside air getting in. Granted though, this is probably not going to be a realistic threat, unless you are actually in the city proper.

Smaller, easier bio suit, with good gas mask (put in bag, in trunk)

4. Any essential gear I am missing? I realize I can not protect against all disaster scenarios but would like to protect against as much as possible.

Water, as mentioned earlier.

Also, no matter what the SHTF scenario, your other big threat is OTHER PEOPLE. Be sure to have some firearms handy.

Erm last time I checked Jersey was still an island off the coast of France but is 100% British, did we sell it and move it :)
1 You can get Paediatric NBC bags that fit over cots and creches for infants
2 Yes but you can also isolate a room and make it sterile with plastic sheeting/ duct tape / hand cranked air filter ( sold in NYC) and run a quarantine program, IE once TSHTF you don't let anyone else into the house. You can supplement waste disposal with large sanitary zip lock bags, portable camping toilets with suitable chemicals, etc etc.
3 A Get Home bag containing a disposable NBC suit, N99 or 100 face mask, Goggles, Nitrile gloves, Aerosol of disinfectant, roll of duct tape, plus rest of GHB gear ( food water, gun etc)
4 Off grid gear like wind up radios, solar panel and rechargeable batteries, big comprehensive FAK, spare prescription medications, eye glasses, dentures, Baby formula paid medications, bulk disposable diapers, paid thermometer, bottled gas cooker, etc Oh and you should already have a Berky or Berkfield water filter to ensure all the water that the infant receives is ultra pure.

Last edited:
I think VHfevers have an incubation period or 21 days so perhaps you need to up your food stocks and baby formal to 30 days from 20???

you can get this at any home depot, it's compact (in its factory folded packaging) 7" x 3" this is something you can keep 3 or 4 in your desk drawer at work with a couple rolls of duct tape
IMG_1825.jpg

Question again, Is Jersey in the US that place that New Yorkers always take the mickey out of?, I keep seeing digs and jibes at New Jersey from the cast of Law And Order ? :)

Question again, Is Jersey in the US that place that New Yorkers always take the mickey out of?, I keep seeing digs and jibes at New Jersey from the cast of Law And Order ? :)

Hmm, New Jersey, yes there is a New Jersey USofA :) I was stationed at Ft. Dix (boot camp) when we was able to take leave I decided to visit New York City, that place scared the shxt out of me, mind you, I just came from Port Bolivar Texas where the tallest thing was the light house and the few wakes of a passing ship, I never even been to Houston at that point but for Christ sakes them people in New York live in space like I said, scared the shxt out of me, I never seen buildings that tall so I decided to visit Trenton New Jersey the only thing I remember about the Trenton trip was I was wanting to get back to Ft Dix (now)

Question again, Is Jersey in the US that place that New Yorkers always take the mickey out of?, I keep seeing digs and jibes at New Jersey from the cast of Law And Order ?

Yes, you've got it. Straight up, just going to say that I hate New Jersey...because I had to drive through it once. Never again. The whole system was designed by masochists, and a 10" disc is NOT a proper size for a highway sign. Nor is there a need for a concrete wall in the middle of a highway, or having to go 10 miles out of your way to make a U-Turn. Come SHTF, if you're on the road in Jersey, you're doomed. Pre-SHTF, it will just give you road rage.

A friendly local American chap stationed over here says Jersey is so rough even Hurricane Sandy avoided it :) then he said something unprintable and rude about a place called Atlantic city.

Ok lot of information, thank you. I will try to answer each question. In addition special thank you to silentbob who has been answering my numerous messages.

1. We are in a suburb/small town.
2. Thank you for tips on what to buy for home.
3. The most likely disaster scenario is that wife and baby will be home (or somewhere in nj) with me in city at work. I will develop skills and goods needed to get home.
4. We will keep enough plastic sheets and supplies to bug in at home and have a sealed room.

My follow up questions and I apologize if these are naive as I do not know much about these matters...

1. Is it a reasonable plan at this stage in my life (with newborn) to have only one papr mask system for myself? I do not imagine we will be mobile with a newborn if the area is contaminated. I envision keeping mom and baby at home in a room sealed with plastic sheets, with a decon room setup and one suit for myself if I need to travel outside for the family. Is this a reasonable protection scenario for most chemical or airborne virus scenarios? Or am I completely wrong? I believe I need the papr mask (3m powerflow 6900pf) with Cbrne filters for protection against majority of scenarios.

2. I haven't ordered the papr mask yet or know how to use it. Can it be used for a 20 mile walk home? If not, what mask do you suggest for get home bag?

Thank you and God bless

Is it a reasonable plan at this stage in my life (with newborn) to have only one paper (sic) mask system for myself?

No. Not when a case is pocket change, compared to the alternative. I personally keep 3 in my bag, along with a few pairs of latex gloves, but to be honest, the best plan would be to simply avoid all people in a get home scenario.

I would change out the mask after a day, or after coming in contact with another person during the trip home, but that is just me.

Last edited:
you're not being naive or what ever.at least most of us here, didnt know the answers to the very same questons that your asking..then we learned by asking and researching on the internet.the smartest questons who have,are the ones you ask.

Thank
No. Not when a case is pocket change, compared to the alternative. I personally keep 3 in my bag, along with a few pairs of latex gloves, but to be honest, the best plan would be to simply avoid all people in a get home scenario.

I would change out the mask after a day, or after coming in contact with another person during the trip home, but that is just me.

Thank you but I mean is it reasonable to assume mom and baby can be protected in a sealed room? With one adult having papr protection to get outside

Ideally, more protection would be better in your stated scenario, but like you, I'm not looking to pack a full hazmat suit

Erm last time I checked Jersey was still an island off the coast of France but is 100% British, did we sell it and move it :)
1 You can get Paediatric NBC bags that fit over cots and creches for infants
2 Yes but you can also isolate a room and make it sterile with plastic sheeting/ duct tape / hand cranked air filter ( sold in NYC) and run a quarantine program, IE once TSHTF you don't let anyone else into the house. You can supplement waste disposal with large sanitary zip lock bags, portable camping toilets with suitable chemicals, etc etc.
3 A Get Home bag containing a disposable NBC suit, N99 or 100 face mask, Goggles, Nitrile gloves, Aerosol of disinfectant, roll of duct tape, plus rest of GHB gear ( food water, gun etc)
4 Off grid gear like wind up radios, solar panel and rechargeable batteries, big comprehensive FAK, spare prescription medications, eye glasses, dentures, Baby formula paid medications, bulk disposable diapers, paid thermometer, bottled gas cooker, etc Oh and you should already have a Berky or Berkfield water filter to ensure all the water that the infant receives is ultra pure.
what is a hand cranked air filter and where should i buy it?

it's a device that filtrates the air you use,uses both electricity or if thats not available a hand crank, found one ANDAIR,NBC-filter system, it ain't cheap but the whole package is about 4,200 usd,swiss made,so it should work as a swiss watch ;) ..but I belive there's other also,check out the Ultimate Bunker,they have a web page about stuff you might need..

Latest posts

Back