Plant based mouse/rat poison

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looking for ideas for a home made mouse and rat poison. $30 for a bag of 50 very small ratsack pieces in Australia. Maybe Foxglove, Datura, Belladonna based? These are my guesses but if someone has experience I'd love to hear about it. Thanks.
I use all the commercially available mouse poisons in all of my buildings. They all work, for a time. After awhile the mice tend to avoid the poisons. I also use the multi catch traps. They work good, then they get filled up and I forget to empty them. I have to use the snap type traps inside our vehicles because mice find their way in.
I'd be interested in learning about homemade poisons too.

My wife wants me to get her a baby bobcat. Would that count?
We had one in the woods when we first built. He got into the garage and drug a bag of cat food behind a tree and while eating he sounded like a woman being tortured.

I was out with a flashlight and my hero husband stood at the door and yelled for me to be careful. He didn't come out of the house.

I've used these pellets before. The good part is the rat dies and there is no smell because they mummify. Good if they have gotten into the walls.

They just don't drink water because they don't recognize they are thirsty, and that is what ultimately kills them
Some people said the rats wouldn't eat it. I guess if they have better sources...but, rub some bacon or chicken fat on the pellets and they find them irresistible.
Why Does RatX Kill Rodents - Rats & Mice - and Not Harm Humans and Other Animals?

A: Because all rodents have a digestive system that is different from other animals. The way rodents absorb water through their lower gut is quite different to any other animals, including humans and birds. This unique digestive system is a part of what makes a rodent different from other animals.

Ingredients: “active ingredients”; sodium chloride and corn meal gluten. Sodium chloride is table salt. Corn gluten is a cheap milling by-product that acts as a desiccant. It is used as a pre-emergent herbicide for that reason.

If I were to make a poison, I would use datura seed.

The challenge would be to get the mice to eat it and in enough volume for the anticholinergic effects to be deadly. You don't want them to suffer (I hope!), so getting a lot into them quickly would be ideal. The problem is, these plants all taste and smell awful and most wild animals won't touch them. Once they nibble and have I'll effects, good luck getting them to come back for more!

Atropine alone is not water soluble, so a glycerite is out despite the taste being more palatable. An alcohol extraction would be necessary. You would need to finely grind the seeds as the structure of seeds makes extraction a bit trickier.

I would combine with molasses and a grain and cook off the alcohol at a low temperature, leaving the alkaloids behind. Cooking does not break down the tropane alkaloids atropine or scopolamine. I'm not sure about the others, but those two should do the trick if you can get them into high enough concentrations.

And because I sound like a whackadoo, I must point out that these plants have medicinal uses as well and I have never poisoned anyone or anything! I'm not as crazy as I sound.

Poisoning in general isn't for me. It is an awful way to die and I am a big softie. 🙂

Does a homemade cat count. Actually chickens are better mousers than cats
The rooster in my profile picture (Dorking) was actually looking a bit under the weather over the past few days but he has perked up incredibly after being given a mouse from a trap, has got his vim and vigour back after the taste of rodent blood. :)

I've used these pellets before. The good part is the rat dies and there is no smell because they mummify. Good if they have gotten into the walls.

They just don't drink water because they don't recognize they are thirsty, and that is what ultimately kills them
Some people said the rats wouldn't eat it. I guess if they have better sources...but, rub some bacon or chicken fat on the pellets and they find them irresistible.
Why Does RatX Kill Rodents - Rats & Mice - and Not Harm Humans and Other Animals?

A: Because all rodents have a digestive system that is different from other animals. The way rodents absorb water through their lower gut is quite different to any other animals, including humans and birds. This unique digestive system is a part of what makes a rodent different from other animals.

Ingredients: “active ingredients”; sodium chloride and corn meal gluten. Sodium chloride is table salt. Corn gluten is a cheap milling by-product that acts as a desiccant. It is used as a pre-emergent herbicide for that reason.
Interesting. That sounds a lot better than blood thinner that affects other creatures that eat them. I don't think they are sold here but maybe online.

If I were to make a poison, I would use datura seed.

The challenge would be to get the mice to eat it and in enough volume for the anticholinergic effects to be deadly. You don't want them to suffer (I hope!), so getting a lot into them quickly would be ideal. The problem is, these plants all taste and smell awful and most wild animals won't touch them. Once they nibble and have I'll effects, good luck getting them to come back for more!

Atropine alone is not water soluble, so a glycerite is out despite the taste being more palatable. An alcohol extraction would be necessary. You would need to finely grind the seeds as the structure of seeds makes extraction a bit trickier.

I would combine with molasses and a grain and cook off the alcohol at a low temperature, leaving the alkaloids behind. Cooking does not break down the tropane alkaloids atropine or scopolamine. I'm not sure about the others, but those two should do the trick if you can get them into high enough concentrations.

And because I sound like a whackadoo, I must point out that these plants have medicinal uses as well and I have never poisoned anyone or anything! I'm not as crazy as I sound.

Poisoning in general isn't for me. It is an awful way to die and I am a big softie. 🙂
Doesn't sound whackadoo at all. I have Datura but have never seen seed on my plants, maybe something to do with colder climate than their native one. Oh, I just thought of ricin from castor oil plant seeds, that would do the trick but would probably do the trick on me too, maybe a bit too dangerous.
Without datura seeds, foxglove might be able to be treated the same way with the alcohol? Maybe nicotine? Hmmm....
Thanks for the info :)

that depends on the breed of chickens many will sit on a perch and watch them,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

GAME CHICKENS will attack and rip them apart
I have Indian Game :) But they are all pretty bloodthirsty. Was a funny PETA thing a while back where they were saying about next time you eat a chicken, remember they have a family.... amusing to see the "family" fight each other for bits of the family member when one is processed :)

Doesn't sound whackadoo at all. I have Datura but have never seen seed on my plants, maybe something to do with colder climate than their native one. Oh, I just thought of ricin from castor oil plant seeds, that would do the trick but would probably do the trick on me too, maybe a bit too dangerous.
Without datura seeds, foxglove might be able to be treated the same way with the alcohol? Maybe nicotine? Hmmm....
Thanks for the info :)
You're quite welcome.

With anything you want to concentrate the trick is to search out the active compounds and then whether they are water soluable. Non water soluable needs an alcohol as a solvent. Water soluble can use either glycerin (which is sweet) or alcohol. Some compounds- like polysaccharides- must be extracted with heat. Some break down with heat.

Leaves of datura are quite poisonous, too, and also contain both alkaloids at slightly lower concentration than the seed. It has a stronger smell, though.

You're quite welcome.

With anything you want to concentrate the trick is to search out the active compounds and then whether they are water soluable. Non water soluable needs an alcohol as a solvent. Water soluble can use either glycerin (which is sweet) or alcohol. Some compounds- like polysaccharides- must be extracted with heat. Some break down with heat.

Leaves of datura are quite poisonous, too, and also contain both alkaloids at slightly lower concentration than the seed. It has a stronger smell, though.
:) Nice concise info, cheers.

I won't use a poison of any kind,on account my Pomeranian will eat a mouse in a heartbeat.i learned that yesterday when got one from a mouse glue trap.i have some spring traps,in which I need to relocate them so I can use them as well.
I do prefer spring traps also and have recently found a type which work without fail, whereas so many types don't. Poison is just a good back up if there is a plague. I remember when I was young, my father lifting a piece of tin and there must have been at least a few hundred under it. We grew grain.

I won't use a poison of any kind,on account my Pomeranian will eat a mouse in a heartbeat.i learned that yesterday when got one from a mouse glue trap.i have some spring traps,in which I need to relocate them so I can use them as well.
Last summer my 2 pups got a box of poison bait off the top shelf in my shop. They ate the whole box. When I found out what they did I gave both of them a shot of hydrogen peroxide. They immediately puked up the poison. They appeared to be fine, until the lab bit his tongue and almost bled out. Had to take him in to the vet. They both turned out fine. I still use a lot of poison bait inside all of our outbuildings but only where the dogs can't get to it. I also use a lot of the Tin Cat multiple catch traps too. I use the Victor snap mouse traps inside our vehicles.

Latest posts

Back