Pet medications for long term survival kits

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FLPrepper

Reaction score
What do I do for my two pets who need medications every day? I have yet to find a way to secure meds for them to put in their survival kits and neither will make it long without them. I get that this is also an issue for all of us, but I am thinking there may be an easy way to get medications for my pets versus how difficult it is for humans. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

What do I do for my two pets who need medications every day? I have yet to find a way to secure meds for them to put in their survival kits and neither will make it long without them. I get that this is also an issue for all of us, but I am thinking there may be an easy way to get medications for my pets versus how difficult it is for humans. Any advice is greatly appreciated.
I guess it depends what they are on. I have some wound cote, and that's about all. We have 4 dogs on the property and luckily there all healthy. Have you talked to your vet about your prepping?

Like script meds? Never had a pet need 'em.

We do have a pretty well stocked medical area in our tack room. About 3 shelves full of all kinds of vet needs and meds. Mostly, we get them at feed stores and/or from friendly vets or vet techs.

What kind of meds are they? I had to get a certain antibiotic from the vet last year when Betsey had mastitis in her udder the bulls tore up so bad. When I had called him I asked if I could get it at Tractor Supply cause they are located closer to me than his office. He said no. . . well guess what, I did find it there and at a cheaper price. I always get the vet to write down what the script is so the next time something like whatever it is happens I know what to look for. There is also great livestock meds that can be given to dogs, just need to do the research first. Not all will work! Another option is look into alternative medicines. . . it is amazing what herbs healing powers are. I have blood sugar issues where it gets real low and add in 1/4 t cinnamon into my cup(s) of coffee and that gets me lined out pretty good. Once my sugar goes up, it takes me a few days to get it back to where it needs to be so eat foods that I should, like nuts and such.

I keep these meds on hand for both humans and animals alike;
also...

Human Medication Dosage For Use In Dogs
http://www.wiki-pet.com/health/dog/charts/medicine-chart.php

My short list,

Medications

Acetaminophen 500mg
Ibuprofen 200mg
Ibuprofen 800mg
Diphenhydramine HCI 25mg
Aspirin uncoated (NSAID) 325mg
Aspirin coated (NSAID) 325mg
Aspirin low-dose 86mg
Ranitidine 150mg
Loperamide Hydrochloride 2mg
Guaifenesin 400mg
Dramamine 50mg
Pepto-Bismol Chewables
Tums extra strength

Antibiotics

Penicillin
Metronidazole
Cephalexin
Doxycycline
Amoxicillin
Ciprofloxican
Sulfa - Sulfamethoxazole 400mg/Trimethoprim 80mg

Generally animal meds are the same as humans just in lower dosages and some liquefied , most are generally called by a different name but reading the ingredients you may find they are the same as OTC/prescribed meds, I have a book somewhere that tells me what animal meds are the same as humans explaining that most are made by the same pharmaceuticals of the human counter-part meds. I have gone to the vet many times and so have my kids and was given medication for many of our ailments, people going to a good o'l country vet for human needs are not uncommon ;)

Same here, most of what works for them, works for us, too. And, in a SHTF scenario, vet clinics and co-ops and feed stores won't be looted as quickly as pharmacies and doctor's offices and hospitals. Probably be better defended, too, considering the folks involved with them.

Hunny was prescribed SMZ tabs for enlarged prostate. Guess what Sulfamethoxazole. . . same thing

I guess the only challenge, once you identify the medication, is getting the dosage right, translating from animal to human, primarily in size differential. Though I guess a cow-sized dose of antibiotic would clear up your cough, real quick.

Latest posts

Back