Pest Control

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That is a very good point Kenny. A well taken care of lawn/grounds would stand out if everyone else's is unkempt.

I've searched the thread and can't find this topic. When the SHTF, mowing the lawn will stop, that could cause unwanted pest problems (mosquitos, mice, rats, snakes, bugs of all kinds that carry diseases). Does anyone have any prep ideas about pest control?
Hello very useful thread for me. Recently shifted to my Grandfathers home. It is bit old structured and there is huge problem of pests. Even I am not able to explain some of these tiny pests. Is it better to professional services or there are DIY pest control methods which can provide quick effective solutions?

This is an area I haven't taken into account. Did find an interesting mouse trap the other day. Take a 5 gallon bucket. Put a ramp up to the opening where you have a dowel rod with a soda can tin can whatever. Put peanut butter on the can. When the mouse jumps to the peanut butter the can spins and the mouse is stuck in the bottom of the bucket. You could adapt this by using the same idea and using a 55 gallon drum. Bury it in the ground and catch opossums, racoons, saber tooth crotch biters or whatever else likes the bait. Guineas will take care of Mosquitos and they are natures alarm systems. The rest I have to think about a little more.

If you are not planning on eating the catch you can use the flybait you sprinkle out on the ground. mix it with coke (the soda) into a oatmeal consistency and put it out in a pan or bowl. (So I have heard) The old man that told me about it called it 5 step death. Apparently thats all the further anything that eats it gets away from the pan. Guess its really hard on the coons

High tech, the saber toothed crotch biters are protected on the west coast.

James, are the critters that need killing inside or outside of the house, that may make a difference on what will work best.

I've searched the thread and can't find this topic. When the SHTF, mowing the lawn will stop, that could cause unwanted pest problems (mosquitos, mice, rats, snakes, bugs of all kinds that carry diseases). Does anyone have any prep ideas about pest control?

#1 the lawn is great place to grow food, even the grains that grow from grass are usable most of the time. Most lawn weeds are edible. Some criters could be edible (I don't recommend this for certain creatures in city settings though specifically vermin, but in rural settings they are verminmcnuggets.

I have mosquitto netting that can double up to catch fish in a perfect world. Snakes, rats, mice, bugs, all edible... of course know how to check the things for disease, personally I think disease risk is low if the animal looks pretty normal. I've eaten a lot of dead animals, and I feel just fine. you could get that bad one sure, but I think the odds are against it, if it is relatively healthy and it dies from known natural causes, such as trap, I'd eat it in a rural setting, I'd eat a snake in an urban setting.

The world has been turned off eating free food... disease is rare. just get in the habit of boiling anything you aren't 100% sure on, when faced with starvation or eating an animal not grown on a farm, I'd eat the animal.

Hello very useful thread for me. Recently shifted to my Grandfathers home. It is bit old structured and pest control brisbane there is huge problem of pests. Even I am not able to explain some of these tiny pests. Is it better to professional services or there are DIY pest control methods pest control gold coast which can provide quick effective solutions?
Just getting plenty of pest control solutions hope it saves my money.:)

Mosquitos are always a real pain here, especially during irrigation season. Back during the West Nile scare, we discovered that if you take plain 'ol household ammonia, put it in a spray bottle and spray it around the stock water tanks, even the yard, not only is it great for your yard...you won't have any mosquitos!!

Blessings,
Shenandoah

Mosquitos are always a real pain here, especially during irrigation season. Back during the West Nile scare, we discovered that if you take plain 'ol household ammonia, put it in a spray bottle and spray it around the stock water tanks, even the yard, not only is it great for your yard...you won't have any mosquitos!!

Blessings,
Shenandoah

This is an area I haven't taken into account. Did find an interesting mouse trap the other day. Take a 5 gallon bucket. Put a ramp up to the opening where you have a dowel rod with a soda can tin can whatever. Put peanut butter on the can. When the mouse jumps to the peanut butter the can spins and the mouse is stuck in the bottom of the bucket. You could adapt this by using the same idea and using a 55 gallon drum. Bury it in the ground and catch opossums, racoons, saber tooth crotch biters or whatever else likes the bait. Guineas will take care of Mosquitos and they are natures alarm systems. The rest I have to think about a little more.

Great idea; very inventive and practical in a DD scenario. I'll give this a test run. I know mice love peanut butter.

Latest posts

Back