Personal hygiene items

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AmyReisch

Reaction score
I always hear about the normal stuff people save but what about personal hygiene items? I have to say that, even though I'm new to prepping, I probably have a 2 year supply of personal items because I can't stop myself from buying them when they go on sale. I use a lot of coupons and try to save them until the item goes on sale so I can get it relatively cheap.

Anybody else do this?

I have to admit I haven't stocked up on things like this.

I guess after the apocalypse I will just have to go forego things like deodarant and go au naturale. Get my mountain man musky scent going :)

Amy, I have been stocking up on feminine hygiene items for my two girls. If they run out, I've got flannel that can be sewn into reusable pads. It's amazing at some of the things we use everyday and forget about them in the preps department.

My mom got us a bunch of extra hygiene items as part of our Christmas stuff! She always does practical things like that in addition to our actual gifts. We have probably six months worth of shampoo and body wash :)

I had a friend that used to work at the Unilever plant close to us and I would give him my list to get items from the plant store. I managed to get 100 bottles of shampoo and the same in conditioner for 10 cents apiece. Was happy as a clam about it. Wish he hadn't got laid off last year.

Sounds like you need to start buying cases of 'girl' items, my friend. Because even if they are too young to need them now, they will need them eventually. Can't stop nature from happening.

I just got the 2 girls. 25 and 12. May the saints preserve what is left of my sanity.:p

I always hear about the normal stuff people save but what about personal hygiene items? I have to say that, even though I'm new to prepping, I probably have a 2 year supply of personal items because I can't stop myself from buying them when they go on sale. I use a lot of coupons and try to save them until the item goes on sale so I can get it relatively cheap.

Anybody else do this?
I usually keep a 2 year supply of almost everything. Paper goods take up a lot of space or I would have more lol

Wiredog8 couldnt help but smile. Do you have ANY idea how important girlie things would be?

Anybody else do this?
I have a ton of the mini products you get from hotels. My wife used to travel for work a lot and would bring a bunch back!

Don't forget fingernail polish remover! It's mainly made up of acetone so it has a multitude of uses. Believe it or not, its a great wound cleaner if you can stand the sting but it takes off stuff alcohol can't. I like to think that the stinging is just the chemicals killing the germs because after your wound is clean, it won't sting anymore if you put it on again but that's just my opinion.

I have no clue about make up and that sort of thing, I've never worn it. But I really can't think of wax as a hygiene item. Canning, candles, arthritis relief, and waterproofing, sure, but not hygiene.

It's a vanity thing but I've done a lot of thinking on that. How good do I really want to look when there's a lot of raping and looting going on?

Very good point Amy, very good point. Seems like looking a little ragged and scratching at your body when around strangers might be a good idea.

Tampons are great for wound care in a pinch, as are pads/panty liners. I am not too concerned if I am shaved/waxed or have makeup on SHTF time. I'm def not trying to look hot and get raped lol I've talked about that before about trying to even conceal the fact that I was even female.

Instead of tampons. . .farm raised sea sponges. Get a large sponge and divide it into strawberry sized, that are rounded. To insert, wet sponge, squeeze out excess water and insert. Replace as needed. To clean: Wash in 1 T baking soda and 1 cup warm water or 1 T cider vinegar and 1 cup warm water. or boil for 2 minutes. Air dry in sunshine and store in a cool dry place. They should last at least a year

Latest posts

Back