Personal hygiene items

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I did that little trick with a copperhead. Ran in to show my Mom. She lost her ever-loving mind. Now I know why. I was bit by a copperhead in 2010 and it nearly ended my life. Spent a week in ICU and another 2 week in a regular room. Let me tell you, you never get over waking up to see a priest standing besides you in the process of giving you Last Rites. I ended up losing part of my finger from that one.
Yeah, my mom can barely remember my name (I exaggerate a bit) but she still talks about that Moccasin.

Sorry to hear that you got bit... how did that happen? A week in ICU?!? Wow, that was serious.

It was laying across the front door jamb. I thought I had it pinned down with my boot and I was going to grab it behind the head so I could cut it's head off and it nailed me. In my defense, I'd just worked 4 16 hours days in a row and I wasn't thinking on all cylinders.

Apparently I am super sensitive to the venom or something. The hospital ended up giving me 9 doses of anti-venom at $7000 a pop. My arm swelled to my shoulder and turned black, the doctors weren't sure for a the first 3-4 days if I was going to lose my arm or my hand. I was on a ventilator for a couple of days. The toxin really hit me hard. I was at the University of Missouri Hospital in Columbia, that was the closest place that had the anti-venom. The doctors cut slices in my arm to allow for the swelling, it was nasty. One of the worst parts about it was that they couldn't give me anything for pain for nearly 36 hours because my blood pressure was way too low, at one point it was 48 over 26; if they'd given me pain medicine I would have crashed apparently.

Part of my finger rotted off and my youngest wanted to sell it on ebay as a medical oddity. In case anyone is wondering, the snake did lose it's life after it tagged me. We have summers where we are killing 1 or 2 a week, generally if they aren't around the house, chicken house, barn, or where a kid or animal could get hurt I'll let them be. They do a good job at rodent control.

I am also thankful that I had AFLAC at the time! It took me all summer to recover and I was off work for 3 months.

So sorry old_anorak! That would be a hard day and I only thought I had one!

It was laying across the front door jamb. I thought I had it pinned down with my boot and I was going to grab it behind the head so I could cut it's head off and it nailed me. In my defense, I'd just worked 4 16 hours days in a row and I wasn't thinking on all cylinders.

Apparently I am super sensitive to the venom or something. The hospital ended up giving me 9 doses of anti-venom at $7000 a pop. My arm swelled to my shoulder and turned black, the doctors weren't sure for a the first 3-4 days if I was going to lose my arm or my hand. I was on a ventilator for a couple of days. The toxin really hit me hard. I was at the University of Missouri Hospital in Columbia, that was the closest place that had the anti-venom. The doctors cut slices in my arm to allow for the swelling, it was nasty. One of the worst parts about it was that they couldn't give me anything for pain for nearly 36 hours because my blood pressure was way too low, at one point it was 48 over 26; if they'd given me pain medicine I would have crashed apparently.

Part of my finger rotted off and my youngest wanted to sell it on ebay as a medical oddity. In case anyone is wondering, the snake did lose it's life after it tagged me. We have summers where we are killing 1 or 2 a week, generally if they aren't around the house, chicken house, barn, or where a kid or animal could get hurt I'll let them be. They do a good job at rodent control.

I am also thankful that I had AFLAC at the time! It took me all summer to recover and I was off work for 3 months.

I am so sorry you had to go through that and thankful we dont have (normally venomous snakes around here)

Danil54grl, while I was in the hospital the nurses would ask what it was that I thought I was doing when I went to kill the snake. I told them all, that all I could think of was making sure my kid didn't step on it and get bit. It didn't matter as long as she was safe.

You've had a crappy couple of days yourself and I wish that there was something I could do to make it better for you.

Wow Sweater, you are one tough chick! I really mean that!! That is some story!
images

I'm too damned mean to die! Got too many people left to piss off.

I'll see if I can't find the pictures my kids took of my arm and my hand while I was in the hospital, they're gnarly. My doctor told me he'd never seen anyone have such a bad reaction. That's me, a special snowflake :D

I'm too damned mean to die! Got too many people left to piss off.

I'll see if I can't find the pictures my kids took of my arm and my hand while I was in the hospital, they're gnarly. My doctor told me he'd never seen anyone have such a bad reaction. That's me, a special snowflake :D
I sure would like to see those pics.

Danil54grl, while I was in the hospital the nurses would ask what it was that I thought I was doing when I went to kill the snake. I told them all, that all I could think of was making sure my kid didn't step on it and get bit. It didn't matter as long as she was safe.

You've had a crappy couple of days yourself and I wish that there was something I could do to make it better for you.
I would have done the same in the situation.

I know that they are on my old computer. I have to take it in somewhere and have all of my stuff pulled off of it so I can put it on this one. The old one will turn on and that's it, nothing else. Well, I was going to post a picture of me so I could give you nightmares, but I have no clue as to how to do it. This is different than what I've seen before.

Often I will simply highlight the picture, right click the mouse button, select "Copy", then in the posting I click the right mouse button again and hit paste.

Ugh I hate Windows 8, I swear it is evil. I can't make it go. Yes, I know I sound like a frustrated 2 year old and I'm good with that at the moment.:mad:

Wow! I honestly had not even cosiderd this. And I have three daughters and a wife. Man do i feel stupid.
there's nothing worse than a woman who hasn't had a shower, needs girly items, and looking at you=) I have 2 daughters and myself so I'm trying to stock a year worth for each

I've been storing up hydrogen peroxide and baking soda; mostly for our teeth, but can double for first aid items. I try to think preventative maintenance... in the worst case scenario I'm assuming little to no access to doctors or dentists....

wax is a great way to remove unwanted hair from anywhere and it doesn't grow back as quick as shaving your legs. I've prepped some make up. Not so much for vanity purposes but for state of mind. I've seen first hand what people endure when they lose everything suddenly. In a crisis situation, it's the little things that matter.

That's true. I wear makeup but not everyday so it's not one of those things to make me feel better but I totally agree with you. Those little things can change your entire perspective and give you hope in a desperate situation. I just picked up a game for the kids and we played it last night, it was fun. That will go in their bags. For me it's photographs. I've decided to get some laminated to put in my bag and for my kids.

Latest posts

Back