Perscription shortages

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MNwr786

Demi-God
Reaction score
My better half has epilepsy. Her prescription is filled every 3 months. This past week, the pharmacy has been telling us that the warehouse they get stuff from doesn't have it. When she switches to generic, she has seizures, so the name brand is all she can use. Anyone else having trouble getting meds?

Not me personally, as I only take BP meds currently. But I do think we are going to start seeing such shortages, whether triggered by China withholding, the Biden administration blocking delivery, or real downstrream supply issues. I was just reading an article this morning about hospitals experiencing such life-saving drugs availability issues that began LONG before COVID or supply chain issues became common terms in our vernacular. The article went on to say it was impacting OTC drugs people rely on, as well as RX drugs.

My better half has epilepsy. Her prescription is filled every 3 months. This past week, the pharmacy has been telling us that the warehouse they get stuff from doesn't have it. When she switches to generic, she has seizures, so the name brand is all she can use. Anyone else having trouble getting meds?

Whats medicine is she taking? What about natural treatments? I would start looking for alternatives now.

My wife is on a multitude of meds. Only issue is the insurance company is forcing her to get one mail order from a chain with 3 letters. When it comes in the mail it’s for 90, not the scripted 270. Lets just say she found a work around but we have to use Good Rx and another pharmacy.

Plus, they give you a 30 day supply, but won't refill until day 31 meaning if someone follows directions and runs out of meds on day 31, they have to wait until the pharmacy opens and also on Sunday, it is an extra hour before they open.

I feel sorry for cancer patients and others who have to spend half a day in pain because of politics. I switched to a private pharmacy who doesn't make mom wait.

Please look into alternative meds if at all possible. Or even natural remedies would be better.
I originally though I would get the beakers out and make her keppra, but if the generic causes problems, I doubt I could do any better. It's a chiral molecule, so that complicates it a little bit too... She used to be on Depakote, but it gave her daughter spinabifida, so she is hesitant to try anything other than name brand keppra now, which I understand as it has kept her seizure free for over 6 years now.

@MNwr786 I understand where you are at. My wife’s cocktail is things she cannot to prescribe to the dogs. Even with her medical mind she can’t come up an alternatives.
She is Fd when it comes to SHTF. My best alternative is how she can wean herself off things. And then deal with the slow process of her orphan disease.

We are looking at a similar problem. After Helena had her operation for stomach and esophogus cancer, she only has sort of a tube and no stomach anymore. She has to chew very well so as to get as much as possible from the food since it just kinda slides down to her intestines without any real digestion. She needs extra pills for her intestines and for helping to digest better. She eats, but does not get the minerals and vitamins she really should get. Daily vitamins and minerals, monthly meds and daily intake are a larger problem if the SHTF for many of us...

We are looking at a similar problem. After Helena had her operation for stomach and esophogus cancer, she only has sort of a tube and no stomach anymore. She has to chew very well so as to get as much as possible from the food since it just kinda slides down to her intestines without any real digestion. She needs extra pills for her intestines and for helping to digest better. She eats, but does not get the minerals and vitamins she really should get. Daily vitamins and minerals, monthly meds and daily intake are a larger problem if the SHTF for many of us...

Oh Gary, that is quit the challenge for Helena. Perhaps drinking smoothies always mixed with lots of healthy ingredients would be beneficial?

My BP med was out of stock everywhere at one time, but just for that particular size. My doctor gave a prescription for a larger pill and said "break it in half."
this I have been doing for a long time except I still get the original amount of tablets( got the doctor to increase the dosage size ) , this way I have built a stock of medication for going forward

Perhaps drinking smoothies
Normally I would agree with you but a study I read from 1938 from Switzerland shows that even then the people were not eating slowly and chewing properly or using enough saliva to start the total digestion of their food because of the industrial revolution started by the invention of the steam engine, electricity and gas/diesel motors. The developement of our industry force them to eat faster since they were not paid during breaks or on vacation and their digestive systems suffered badly. Still today, the people eat too fast and too much without enough exercise.
A smoothie (just as pure orange, apple, grapefruit and other pure juices) are very hard for us to digest. More than about one small glass is almost an overdose for a grown adult of orange juice and the same glass would cramp up the intestines of a baby under one year and maybe cause a shock death....Helena has no stomach and everything has to stay in her mouth until enough saliva is mixed in and she has a chance to get something out of it. I will try some body building stuff with more protein and carbs and get her to drink it slow and swallow slow too. Thanks, Gary

My wife is on a multitude of meds. Only issue is the insurance company is forcing her to get one mail order from a chain with 3 letters. When it comes in the mail it’s for 90, not the scripted 270. Lets just say she found a work around but we have to use Good Rx and another pharmacy.
GoodRx is GREAT. I started taking a med that my insurance covered but wanted $55/month for. Tried GoodRx at our supermarket pharmacy, and there it's $18/mo. Needless to say I transferred that scrip from my regular pharmacy to theirs. It's a small hometown-type pharmacy which is usually good pricing with this exception for some reason and won't accept GoodRx.

Normally I would agree with you but a study I read from 1938 from Switzerland shows that even then the people were not eating slowly and chewing properly or using enough saliva to start the total digestion of their food because of the industrial revolution started by the invention of the steam engine, electricity and gas/diesel motors. The developement of our industry force them to eat faster since they were not paid during breaks or on vacation and their digestive systems suffered badly. Still today, the people eat too fast and too much without enough exercise.
A smoothie (just as pure orange, apple, grapefruit and other pure juices) are very hard for us to digest. More than about one small glass is almost an overdose for a grown adult of orange juice and the same glass would cramp up the intestines of a baby under one year and maybe cause a shock death....Helena has no stomach and everything has to stay in her mouth until enough saliva is mixed in and she has a chance to get something out of it. I will try some body building stuff with more protein and carbs and get her to drink it slow and swallow slow too. Thanks, Gary
I got tired of toothaches and had them all pulled. My dentures are worthless and haven't been out of the box since the day I got them. I can eat just about everything I used to, but it dont always get chewed enough. I can eat chips and steak faster than people with teeth, but corn on the cob I have to cut off first, peanuts get the mortar and pestle treatment and apples need to be sliced. Otherwise, I manage quite well without teeth. I hope my digestive system continues to be able to handle it.

I got tired of toothaches and had them all pulled. My dentures are worthless and haven't been out of the box since the day I got them. I can eat just about everything I used to, but it dont always get chewed enough. I can eat chips and steak faster than people with teeth, but corn on the cob I have to cut off first, peanuts get the mortar and pestle treatment and apples need to be sliced. Otherwise, I manage quite well without teeth. I hope my digestive system continues to be able to handle it.
Did you take them back and get refitted/adjusted? Sounds like that is the problem and a common one at that.

They don't hurt when in, the adjustment is good, its the glue I don't like. They said I could either get the dentures right away, or wait until everything healed which would lead to a better fit. So, I waited 7 months before getting them. They only stay in on their own until I try biting with my front teeth, then the backs lift off the gums. I tried fixadent and, not only did it taste like total crap, I couldn't even scrub it off my gums with a wash cloth. What I don't understand is why they make these things out of hard plastic. I wanted to grind them out and try adding silicone so the fit was more flexible and suctioned better, but I don't know how to do that without first making a casting of my gums (which I haven't got around to trying yet). Im glad I waited so long before getting them as I had already learned how to talk and eat without teeth by the time I got them. I just worry about my digestion.

I read about something where scientists discovered some chemical that triggers the regrowth of teeth, but it also makes other organs regrow at the same time, so we are not quite there yet. I dont think ill live to see it work, but i bet in 20 years they'll have it figured out.

Latest posts

Back