Pandemic Flu Kit and what you can do to prepare

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Silent Bob

God Like
Reaction score
Prepper's,

First, forget the "Walking Dead" crap. Better to worry about a weaponized version of Ebola (yes Russia has it in the lab folks, don't believe me, see Ken Alibek, he was a lead agent on the development of Russia's most nastiest bio weapons). So not all is "gloom and doom" and were not heading into a new Cold War with Russia over the Ukraine's despite FOX or CNN news releases. But just know the crap is out there...and it is a virus, so once your exposed, it is simply protective gear for those that are not and those that are, isolation and supportive care for those developing symptoms. Time, wait, and faith!

So what about the other pandemic...bird flu, a new strain of SARS, or when the World Health Organization and Center for Disease Control miss the strain it the new flu vaccine...then its all about the preps you have prepared.

My first rule is a basic rule that my son follows each day, it is engrained in him, but one key thing that can't be lost for him is hand-washing. How do you wash, with simple bar soap and luke water if it is available. Wash hand for 20 seconds and if you can't count, then sing the old Public Health song....Row, Row your boat, gently down the stream...got it! Simple basic hygiene will help in all pandemics.

The second rule is keep your immunizations up to date. Military people know this, not that we like being poked with a needle, but simply, keeping an up-to-date shot record with basic vaccinations, like a completed Diptheria-Typhoid, Tetanus (every 10 years), Hepatitis B series, Meningococcal vaccine (there are three types that you can get), Measles, Mumps and Rubella (MMR) and Chickenpox (Varicella) shot. I've included an adult vaccination list for adults. For children, I recommend you contact your child's pediatricians.

http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/schedules/downloads/adult/adult-schedule-easy-read.pdf. You will need a pdf reader to look at it.

Next lets look at a home-made kit that won't break your budget. Sure you could wear your military MOPP gear, I'd do that if it is a real threat, but for simple protective and daily work around, the MOPP is over-kill.

So here is a KIT-A, Protective placed in what I XXL Storage Trunk. We have six of them for our protective gear. MOPP gear is stored at each families home. During imminent threat, each member maintains it in a MOPP bag "old Air Force A-Bag". My daughter maintains her equipment in her college dorm room.

2fc00594-d9ba-46ae-b4da-4611e4a9c17f_400.jpg

First, masks. N-95 mask will do. They come in a box of 20...for every day use. Both of these masks are available off Amazon.com. You van get about 120 for about $100 or about, 30 pack for about $16. The 3M 8511 (80 masks) for about 120.

71FL-2gZiXL._SL1500_.jpg

For those in supportive care of the sick...opt for the 3M M-95 8511, you can also use it for sanding mask

71bjuvQ2xRL._SL1500_.jpg

Nitrile Gloves, different sizes, but I would opt a size larger for each of your member groups. I store, four sizes, small, medium, large and Xlarge. Cost per box is about $7 dollars for a box of 100.

Disposable faceshield

Booties get the anti-skid type, 100 per box for about $10.
81DDsmKrkCL._SL1500_.jpg

Also you can get these two different protective disposable coverall suits...for about 10, but I buy bulk of 25. They come in different sizes..so long as you have enough. Here is where I get them.... http://www.allsafetysupplies.com/TY122S.html

315dgwyKCLL.jpg

Also for the nasty stuff, where you are dealing with an unknown, two options your MOPP or a PAPR unit...many available but 3M puts out the best affordable one...

41bwUztdt9L.jpg

3M Powerflow Face-Mounted Powered Air Purifying Respirator (PAPR), Respiratory Protection 6900PF, NiCd Rechargeable Battery, Large Size for about 400, much more less than the $1000 model and for the price you would spend, you can get two. These I only would use for highly contagious people. Also if you do, then you need at least a bubble suit...Tychem BR 400 Chemical Suit which is about 120.
suit-br400.jpg

Of course Butyl Rubber Gloves, inserts and boots...go to approvedgaskmask, that is where I buy most of my stuff.

Our KIT-B: Consist of the following:
20 Clorox Wipes canisters (Walmart brand suitable)
Extra Nitrile Gloves
Extra Disposable N-95 masks
Disposable face shields
20 Cans of Walmart Brand Disinfectant Spray
Paper Towels

Kit C
Consists of 30 boxes of Kleenex
Feminine Hygiene Kit
Disposable Towels or cheap dollar general towels and wash cloth (your going to burn them, if you have a virus outbreak).
Plastic Sheeting, 5 mil or better to wrap and dispose bodies (I know but you have to plan for it).
Disposable Dixie Cups, Plastic flatwear, paper bowls and plates.
Water Bottle Disposable
Trash Bags (small and Garbage Bags, prefer industrial type that are sold in hardware section of Walmart or at Lowes/Home Depot...you can use them for you BOB.
Handiwipes found in Walmart soap area...get a box from the walmart associate. These have multiple uses, but are used for bathing and also washing if coughing blood.

Kit D.
Home made medical kit that contains decongesting meds, cough syrup, a ton of Emerg-C or airborne packs, several bottles of Vitamin C...should be taking them right at the time of the event. Emerg-C, predose if you have a ton of them right after suspect of a outbreak. Motrin, Asprin (not for children and those on blood thinners), just about any overcounter drug...I like Nyquil..helps me sleep.

Kit D. Admin, name tags, plastic Ziploc bags for personal effects, pens, markers sharpies, pencils, paper, CDC forms (I know but they have some good epidemiology stuff on them). Also, medical books that are geared toward epidemiology, if you want, I can post them later.

Kit E Decon Kit: The big kit, has shower curtains, three-five inflatable baby pools, scrub brushes both hand type (if you can get the iodine one surgeon use, great), several bottles of hybicleans, spray bottles (empty, recycles your old cleaning ones, just take the wrapping off and mark what will be in it once you put the fluid in, Several cases of Chlorox...should you ask, many uses, but its one that helps with destroying viruses on contact surfaces, a few hand brush wand type, don't get the toilet brush, but something similar, sponges, several hoses, a shower wand, garden hose nozzle. Towels to dry off.

Also Diatomaceous Earth (you can get this at the pool dealer), a few kitty litter boxes that you can place the Earth in. This will be helpful for Chem or chem warfare agents.

Of course, your decon team should have suitable change of gear and extra mask/filters, a chem apron to limit splashing. Rubber Rain boots.

I know this sounds like a lot for the amateur, but if you have this material, you will be ready for just about any release or pandemic incident.

Hope this helps. For a more focused listing, let me know, I will have to dig it out of my computer or disc.

Silent Bob

Attachments

• adult-schedule-easy-read.pdf
    148.5 KB · Views: 2
Forgot to add the shelter in place stuff, but figure I would save that stuff for my next post.

Hi again folks!
if you follow the news,they already have ebola in africa,smallscale outbreaks in several counties,if it gets worse just sit down have a coffee and think how fast that nasty little germ will be spread with the help of our modern aviation industry

Hi again folks!
if you follow the news,they already have ebola in africa,smallscale outbreaks in several counties,if it gets worse just sit down have a coffee and think how fast that nasty little germ will be spread with the help of our modern aviation industry
I saw that new's report as well, My Niece has been rushed to hosp and is in isolation in ITU with a virus...waiting to find out what it is.

ALCON,

This is a bag and drag post. It is true that their is an outbreak of Ebola, thanks for the post Jontte. Always good to have someone posting regarding virus and disease outbreak. So great work. Let me sleep at night that your all thinking about it. Jontte is right, with airlines and international flights any virus could spread easily.

So now let me rest your fears. CDC and WHO have been doing the epidemiological work on this case. Here is the real break down, the hospitals in Africa, practice zero and I mean just about zero precautions regarding initial case work-up. Most European and North America hospitals, even the ones that are really rated low on infection control, do practice good/acceptable hygiene. Staff are trained on proper removal of protective barrier protection, hygiene and destruction of said material in bio hazard bags. These follow strict regulations on handling of bio hazard bags. In the case of Sierra Leone, Guinea and Liberia, not only do they have shoddy engagement rules, their staff are not always trained and or blood, body fluids precautions are followed.

Fact: The virus has a high lethality and yes, in this particular form it is from direct contact with the virus. In responding to the last outbreak, we were all in leveled protection. I am sure based on epi investigation, WHO will respond in kind based.

ALCON,

This is a bag and drag post. It is true that their is an outbreak of Ebola, thanks for the post Jontte. Always good to have someone posting regarding virus and disease outbreak. So great work. Let me sleep at night that your all thinking about it. Jontte is right, with airlines and international flights any virus could spread easily.

So now let me rest your fears. CDC and WHO have been doing the epidemiological work on this case. Here is the real break down, the hospitals in Africa, practice zero and I mean just about zero precautions regarding initial case work-up. Most European and North America hospitals, even the ones that are really rated low on infection control, do practice good/acceptable hygiene. Staff are trained on proper removal of protective barrier protection, hygiene and destruction of said material in bio hazard bags. These follow strict regulations on handling of bio hazard bags. In the case of Sierra Leone, Guinea and Liberia, not only do they have shoddy engagement rules, their staff are not always trained and or blood, body fluids precautions are followed.

Fact: The virus has a high lethality and yes, in this particular form it is from direct contact with the virus. In responding to the last outbreak, we were all in leveled protection. I am sure based on epi investigation, WHO will respond in kind based.
I have little faith in the N.H.S containing a pandemic in the U.K , I've spent time in the hospital and I was the 1 and only using the anti bac hand gel, I even seen the cleaners dragging bio hazard bag's across the ward floor's.

Fox news did piece this morning on Ebola outbreak in Africa. Has spread to 4 counties. They said several healthcare workers infected because not practicing safe care and lack of protective gear.

Just watched movie Contagion with Matt Damon, although movie pretty scary stuff.

Hand washing MOST IMPORTANT, SIMPLE THING TO DO EVERYONE!

right now I'm pretty glad not living in a super warm country,if shtf it will take a while for that ebola to adapt to my climate here,shure it will eventually if it's spread far and wide,sometimes I think those germs are like the tax-man,hard to beat almost impossible to kill and they will find you

if I remember correctly, high fever,really high,yr bleeding from yr nose,mouth,lower region aswell,not responding to medicine at all,you should be quarrantined,it spreads through blood,saliva conntact

if I remember correctly, high fever,really high,yr bleeding from yr nose,mouth,lower region aswell,not responding to medicine at all,you should be quarrantined,it spreads through blood,saliva conntact
Mmm that's nice:confused: I feel sorry for the poor sod's that get it.

yep,I'll take an ordinary flu any day rather than that...wonder how many labs around the world have thosegerms stored in some brittle glascontainer??

Prepper's,

First, forget the "Walking Dead" crap. Better to worry about a weaponized version of Ebola (yes Russia has it in the lab folks, don't believe me, see Ken Alibek, he was a lead agent on the development of Russia's most nastiest bio weapons). So not all is "gloom and doom" and were not heading into a new Cold War with Russia over the Ukraine's despite FOX or CNN news releases. But just know the crap is out there...and it is a virus, so once your exposed, it is simply protective gear for those that are not and those that are, isolation and supportive care for those developing symptoms. Time, wait, and faith!

So what about the other pandemic...bird flu, a new strain of SARS, or when the World Health Organization and Center for Disease Control miss the strain it the new flu vaccine...then its all about the preps you have prepared.

My first rule is a basic rule that my son follows each day, it is engrained in him, but one key thing that can't be lost for him is hand-washing. How do you wash, with simple bar soap and luke water if it is available. Wash hand for 20 seconds and if you can't count, then sing the old Public Health song....Row, Row your boat, gently down the stream...got it! Simple basic hygiene will help in all pandemics.

The second rule is keep your immunizations up to date. Military people know this, not that we like being poked with a needle, but simply, keeping an up-to-date shot record with basic vaccinations, like a completed Diptheria-Typhoid, Tetanus (every 10 years), Hepatitis B series, Meningococcal vaccine (there are three types that you can get), Measles, Mumps and Rubella (MMR) and Chickenpox (Varicella) shot. I've included an adult vaccination list for adults. For children, I recommend you contact your child's pediatricians.

http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/schedules/downloads/adult/adult-schedule-easy-read.pdf. You will need a pdf reader to look at it.

Next lets look at a home-made kit that won't break your budget. Sure you could wear your military MOPP gear, I'd do that if it is a real threat, but for simple protective and daily work around, the MOPP is over-kill.

So here is a KIT-A, Protective placed in what I XXL Storage Trunk. We have six of them for our protective gear. MOPP gear is stored at each families home. During imminent threat, each member maintains it in a MOPP bag "old Air Force A-Bag". My daughter maintains her equipment in her college dorm room.

2fc00594-d9ba-46ae-b4da-4611e4a9c17f_400.jpg

First, masks. N-95 mask will do. They come in a box of 20...for every day use. Both of these masks are available off Amazon.com. You van get about 120 for about $100 or about, 30 pack for about $16. The 3M 8511 (80 masks) for about 120.

71FL-2gZiXL._SL1500_.jpg

For those in supportive care of the sick...opt for the 3M M-95 8511, you can also use it for sanding mask

71bjuvQ2xRL._SL1500_.jpg

Nitrile Gloves, different sizes, but I would opt a size larger for each of your member groups. I store, four sizes, small, medium, large and Xlarge. Cost per box is about $7 dollars for a box of 100.

Disposable faceshield

Booties get the anti-skid type, 100 per box for about $10.
81DDsmKrkCL._SL1500_.jpg

Also you can get these two different protective disposable coverall suits...for about 10, but I buy bulk of 25. They come in different sizes..so long as you have enough. Here is where I get them.... http://www.allsafetysupplies.com/TY122S.html

315dgwyKCLL.jpg

Also for the nasty stuff, where you are dealing with an unknown, two options your MOPP or a PAPR unit...many available but 3M puts out the best affordable one...

41bwUztdt9L.jpg

3M Powerflow Face-Mounted Powered Air Purifying Respirator (PAPR), Respiratory Protection 6900PF, NiCd Rechargeable Battery, Large Size for about 400, much more less than the $1000 model and for the price you would spend, you can get two. These I only would use for highly contagious people. Also if you do, then you need at least a bubble suit...Tychem BR 400 Chemical Suit which is about 120.
suit-br400.jpg

Of course Butyl Rubber Gloves, inserts and boots...go to approvedgaskmask, that is where I buy most of my stuff.

Our KIT-B: Consist of the following:
20 Clorox Wipes canisters (Walmart brand suitable)
Extra Nitrile Gloves
Extra Disposable N-95 masks
Disposable face shields
20 Cans of Walmart Brand Disinfectant Spray
Paper Towels

Kit C
Consists of 30 boxes of Kleenex
Feminine Hygiene Kit
Disposable Towels or cheap dollar general towels and wash cloth (your going to burn them, if you have a virus outbreak).
Plastic Sheeting, 5 mil or better to wrap and dispose bodies (I know but you have to plan for it).
Disposable Dixie Cups, Plastic flatwear, paper bowls and plates.
Water Bottle Disposable
Trash Bags (small and Garbage Bags, prefer industrial type that are sold in hardware section of Walmart or at Lowes/Home Depot...you can use them for you BOB.
Handiwipes found in Walmart soap area...get a box from the walmart associate. These have multiple uses, but are used for bathing and also washing if coughing blood.

Kit D.
Home made medical kit that contains decongesting meds, cough syrup, a ton of Emerg-C or airborne packs, several bottles of Vitamin C...should be taking them right at the time of the event. Emerg-C, predose if you have a ton of them right after suspect of a outbreak. Motrin, Asprin (not for children and those on blood thinners), just about any overcounter drug...I like Nyquil..helps me sleep.

Kit D. Admin, name tags, plastic Ziploc bags for personal effects, pens, markers sharpies, pencils, paper, CDC forms (I know but they have some good epidemiology stuff on them). Also, medical books that are geared toward epidemiology, if you want, I can post them later.

Kit E Decon Kit: The big kit, has shower curtains, three-five inflatable baby pools, scrub brushes both hand type (if you can get the iodine one surgeon use, great), several bottles of hybicleans, spray bottles (empty, recycles your old cleaning ones, just take the wrapping off and mark what will be in it once you put the fluid in, Several cases of Chlorox...should you ask, many uses, but its one that helps with destroying viruses on contact surfaces, a few hand brush wand type, don't get the toilet brush, but something similar, sponges, several hoses, a shower wand, garden hose nozzle. Towels to dry off.

Also Diatomaceous Earth (you can get this at the pool dealer), a few kitty litter boxes that you can place the Earth in. This will be helpful for Chem or chem warfare agents.

Of course, your decon team should have suitable change of gear and extra mask/filters, a chem apron to limit splashing. Rubber Rain boots.

I know this sounds like a lot for the amateur, but if you have this material, you will be ready for just about any release or pandemic incident.

Hope this helps. For a more focused listing, let me know, I will have to dig it out of my computer or disc.

Silent Bob

Wow, you've really prepared for this scenario. By the way, Russia isn't the only govt that saves all those nasty bugs, our own stockpiles it as well. Remember the anthrax scare, it came from our own labs. So much for security. I think there is a good chance of nature coming up with a new one on her own as well. It's only a matter of time that something mutates into something nasty. The world is way too populated, and in nature there's always a correction when a species is too densely populated.
I work in retail, so odds are if something is spreading quickly, I way too exposed with all the people I come into contact with.
However, all is not doom and gloom. As you said, hand washing is a great, and cheap, way to protect yourself. Also don't forget to never pick your nose or rub your eyes. Picking your nose at work is kid of rude anyways:p. I've read that a shared keyboard at work is dirtier than an average toilet. Keep washing those hands.

yep,I'll take an ordinary flu any day rather than that...wonder how many labs around the world have thosegerms stored in some brittle glascontainer??
It just take's one mad scientist to have a bad day at work.

excellent prepper article on cholera >>> thought I'd tag onto this terrif pandemic prep article from a few years ago ....

https://prepschooldaily.blogspot.co...howComment=1619622961523#c3975624626124909372

We don't need to learn about any of this because it couldn't happen here. Right?

Yeah, most of us reading this blog happen to believe otherwise. It wouldn't take much to turn the US into another third world country. A majority of Americans now believe civil war is inevitable. With the printing presses running at warp speed, hyperinflation is also just around the corner. Garbage trucks will quit rolling when things fall apart. Medical personnel will disappear, too. Not that it will matter much when labs and pharmacies are shuttered. So what's the difference between us and Yemen? Probably just a few years is all. We'd better be ready to deal with cholera.

in a pandemic quarantine is the only answer, remove ourselves from the common herd and go into personal isolation.
there is a reason why my area has had a low infection rate all through covid, low population area and nobody moving around too far, everyone staying local.

in a pandemic quarantine is the only answer, remove ourselves from the common herd and go into personal isolation.
there is a reason why my area has had a low infection rate all through covid, low population area and nobody moving around too far, everyone staying local.
Your absolutely correct. The best way to stop a viral infection spread is to isolate. I think this pandemic wasn’t nearly as bad as it could have been so I consider this a dress rehearsal for the next one. Everyone is politicizing this virus and the reactions to it. I say just try to look objectively at what was done well and what wasn’t. Learn from it. I’m afraid to say that we may not be done with this one just yet either. One variant could make it more deadly and resistant to the vaccine or any immunity gained from earlier infections. I am going to start traveling again now that I have been vaccinated, at least for now I see the risks very low.

Latest posts

Back