Pacific Northwest/Northwest/Northern California

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maverick

Top Poster
Reaction score
Washington State - between 2 mountains and a river
Current fires and if you notice the American Redoubt movement most noticeably Northern Idaho is all mixed in with these fires greatly impacting our prepper friends, so far my zone only has 1 fire.

Redoubt map
A_Map_of_The_American_Redoubt.jpg

Fires
fires.jpg

Current fires and if you notice the American Redoubt movement most noticeably Northern Idaho is all mixed in with these fires greatly impacting our prepper friends, so far my zone only has 1 fire.

Redoubt map
View attachment 4523

Fires
View attachment 4524
I have definitely thought about you, and those in California each night while watching the news. I would be clearing as much stuff from the house as possible if I lived out there.
There are a lot of steps you can take to help make your home more fire resistant. Fiber cement siding, metal roofing, clear spaces in the yard etc. shy of all that, don't let your insurance lapse! Seriously, be safe and remember, it's always better to start over than die trying to save your property. The speed some of those fires are traveling is scary. I wish you all well.

If the long term forcast is right the jet stream will shift and there will be more than enough rain to put out the fires .

ya we have metal roofs, we took the cat and cut a 12' path around the property, We have the generators near the wells just in case we need to run the sprinkler system in a power outage.
I'm not sure how dry you are there, but you may consider a wider path from what I've seen on the news.

That's on the outside of the fence, we have a dirt road around the property inside the fence line plus the high pressure sprinkler system plus the property is a DNR/USFS staging area, if it gets that bad then I done all I could other then plowing the whole property thus making it difficult for the heavies to drive in... I kind of like the extra security blanket of being a staging ground ;)

Yea its getting rough out there. I heard on the news they figure of the wind speeds pick up they figure some of the fires will become unstoppable. My cousin got called out to Colorado for the fire by Casper.

That's on the outside of the fence, we have a dirt road around the property inside the fence line plus the high pressure sprinkler system plus the property is a DNR/USFS staging area, if it gets that bad then I done all I could other then plowing the whole property thus making it difficult for the heavies to drive in... I kind of like the extra security blanket of being a staging ground ;)
My thoughts and best wishes are with you guys.

This is smoke not clouds, we are under a very heavy smoke blanket, going outside causes the eyes to burn within a couple of minutes, visibility is limited and a couple of air ports around my area have already closed due to visibility. the sort of square box (yellow) is my location, the kind of arrow (yellow) is two major fires, the smoke is completely covering my area with lots of ash falling.

8634385_G.jpg

This is smoke not clouds, we are under a very heavy smoke blanket, going outside causes the eyes to burn within a couple of minutes, visibility is limited and a couple of air ports around my area have already closed due to visibility. the sort of square box (yellow) is my location, the kind of arrow (yellow) is two major fires, the smoke is completely covering my area with lots of ash falling.

View attachment 4543
I hope those winds are moving east!

View attachment 4543
I dont know if you have one of these?

uploadfromtaptalk1440318968681.jpg

I've never bought a chemical mask before, but hadn't thought about it working with smoke too. I have a respirator mask for spraying paints and finishes, I imagine it would clear smoke as well. Mine dosent have the face protection for the eyes though. Nice.

I don`t know how the setup there works around brush and bush fires. Here as farm and smallholding owners we are obliged by law to have fire-lanes around the our properties. In conjustion with the local farming orgs. we created a fire fighting capability within the our farm and smallholding communities. We bought what we call "fire fighters" 4 of them. Its a small trailer that has a 2 000 liter water tank mounted on it with a motorized waterpump and a thick rubber hose with an ajustable nozzle. Each owner is also equipped with fire placks. It is a extra long wooden stick with a wide rubber sheet about 3/4 inch thick and 1.5 feet wide. Then there is about 6 water backpack sprayers and two fire starters, looks like a fire extingguisher with a curled copper tube on the front, whe use them start backburn fires. We contribute about 10$ a year to this "fire fund". This is done all over the country where bush fires are problamatic. Oh anohter thing all our community members are in radio contact in our area and adjacent areas, it makes the coordination in fighting that much eazier. I just think the scale that you guys have deal with, is very much larger, but maybe its something you can think about. I`ll check if i can get some pictures of those placks and other things i mentioned. I`m also very sorry about the lives that was lost in the fires so far, i really hope that it stays at that.

Last edited:

View attachment 4543
Now might be a good time to double check your insurance policy, and take a vacation to Disney world or something! Seriously, be safe. Remember, things can be replaced as long as you're alive to do it.

Latest posts

Back