Oven canning

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lindy

Reaction score
Has anyone tried "Oven Canning" for prolonging the life of dry goods?
I saw it on Pintrest, I've never heard of it before.
Lindy

i plan on giveing it a try with some rice we have.once i get some pint jars n lids

it'll be at the 16th of the month before i can..on acount thats when i 'll have the money for the jars lids and rings..gonna go with pint jars seeing how i figure rice from 1 jar enough for 2 ppl in one meal

Lindy
I did some rice, oats, beans, pasta and powdered milk. I found a video on you tube showing how. I sterilized the jars and heated them on low heat, don't remember exactly how long now, then I added oxy absorbers in each jar. It was pretty cool when the lids popped just like regular canning. From what I gathered the oven was just an extra way to kill any bugs that may be in the grains. You can get the oxygen absorbers on amazon, they pull all the oxygen out of the canister with no toxic side effects.

brent..when did you do that..and are they still sealed?
It was probably close to 1 yr ago. I bought a pack of 100 oxy absorbers on amazon, so I canned 100 jars of dry goods, of a mix of different things to get a good start on my reserves. Yes, I've looked at several cans and they are still vacuumed sealed. I read that if you open one and re seal it right away the oxy absorber will re activate again and will pop the lid of the jar sealed again. The bad thing about the oxygen absorbers is when you order them they come in a vacuumed sealed pack, as soon as you open it they are exposed to the air and start being used up, so buy only as many as you're going to use right then, they won't last. If you have a vacuum sealer like a food saver you can prolong them, but it's best to use em right away. They are food safe packets filled with iron shavings and salt, so when air hits them they start to rust, which burns up the oxygen, leaving both a vacuum in the jar and an oxygen less environment that most buggies cant live in. I also did several jars of sugar, but I've since heard that they tend to set into a hard lump of rock candy that has to be chiseled out of the jar. I haven't opened one of those yet but will let you know.

ma'am told me this.and i plan on trying it out once i get me some one pint and quart jars.i will take pic's if it works for me..and post the pic's for all yall to see..

1.) wash out the glass jars and dry
2.) put them in a 200degree oven and cook for 15- 20min ( to make sure they are dry)
3.) fill with dry ingredients (i do mainly oatmeal and pasta- I can store with pasta sauce and have a meal ready)
4.) put back in oven for 15-20 min (for flour and other stuff it kills any bug eggs that might be in there and acts to dehydrate food even more)
5.) while that cooking I boil the lids
6.) pull out the filled cans- pull the lids out of the boiling water and dry them off (use a wet rag or paper towel to clean edge of glass to help create a better seal) Screw the lids on tight.
7.) back in the oven for 10 min or so.
8.) Pull them out of the oven.
9.) Try to tighten the lid even more if possible- and place upside down.
10.) Let them set for awhile or so (within 20 min I flip the jars to make sure they have sealed-they wont be that way when you pull them out of the oven, but while they are cooling they will seal if they havent sealed just give them more time- i always start to fuss when they dont seal but I just leave them alone and they all have)
i have changed the process with a few things and all have still sealed- for example i did a few little jars of powdered milk and thought if I cooked them too long it would ruin it - so i just heated the jars-poured in the powder and put the lid on (boiled then dried) on it-then only put it in the oven 10min or so -got em out-flipped em and waited anxiously lol it sealed so I was happy

It was probably close to 1 yr ago. I bought a pack of 100 oxy absorbers on amazon, so I canned 100 jars of dry goods, of a mix of different things to get a good start on my reserves. Yes, I've looked at several cans and they are still vacuumed sealed. I read that if you open one and re seal it right away the oxy absorber will re activate again and will pop the lid of the jar sealed again. The bad thing about the oxygen absorbers is when you order them they come in a vacuumed sealed pack, as soon as you open it they are exposed to the air and start being used up, so buy only as many as you're going to use right then, they won't last. If you have a vacuum sealer like a food saver you can prolong them, but it's best to use em right away. They are food safe packets filled with iron shavings and salt, so when air hits them they start to rust, which burns up the oxygen, leaving both a vacuum in the jar and an oxygen less environment that most buggies cant live in. I also did several jars of sugar, but I've since heard that they tend to set into a hard lump of rock candy that has to be chiseled out of the jar. I haven't opened one of those yet but will let you know.

might try hand warmers.i hear that thier cheaper then oxy absorbers.pluse if i recall correctly.thier reuseable more often then oxy absorbers in the long run.

might try hand warmers.i hear that thier cheaper then oxy absorbers.pluse if i recall correctly.thier reuseable more often then oxy absorbers in the long run.
I don't know for sure but I bet they are the same product inside, I'll look into that and let you know. I don't remember exactly but I think 100 of them was about 10 bucks, wasn't too bad.

Yeah, just looked it up, there both the same product, except oxy absbs are food rated, or a little cleaner. I found 100 for 12.00 so cost isn't too bad.

ok..to me 100 at a time can be a pain.on acount i think you have to use the entire 100 so none of them goes bad on ya..

ok..to me 100 at a time can be a pain.on acount i think you have to use the entire 100 so none of them goes bad on ya..
If you have a vacuum sealer you can save them, but you don't have to buy that many at a time. Amazon had a lot of different pkg sizes you can order. You might be able to make them last in a ziplock Baggie if you squeeze out as much air as you can, but it's probably best to order what you will use. They are vacuum sealed when made and shipped immediately.

i hate going in to town to buy someting certain and everyone be sold out of it..i havent even come close to finding any pint jars yet..but then again i been buying other things thoe.. :p ..all i been finding the way of canning jars,is the quart jars and the ones for jams n jellys..

Lindy
dry goods can be vacuum sealed in jars. I personally do not trust "dry canning" as it is not a proven safe method. I vacuum seal all my herbs and dehydrated goods. I also have vacuum sealed pinto beans, rice, black beans in meal portions and store the bags in a 5 gal bucket. this way I dont expose the rest to air or moisture. my flour I store in 2-3 gal buckets with a baggie of salt on top( after 5 yrs of storage so far no issues)

Latest posts

Back