Our I.N.C.H bags (content)

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm sure I'm going to refine it even more, I'm going from horse and pack mules hauling my 50's and 60's equipment too carrying it on my back with modern smaller and lighter equipment, I still have a trust thing with these newer stuff. The kids (and folks here) who talk me into going lighter several years ago are now borrowing my canvas tent/tarps, backpack, coleman white fuel/kerosene stoves and lanterns. I'm getting with the 21st century and they are going backwards :)

I think it would be wise to take a demo trip with BOB. My suggestion would be to make the trip as real life SHTF as possible. Pick a route from point A to B that would take about 3 or 4 days or longer to complete. Bad weather would be a better test to see how everything works. Learn how to navigate using a compas as GPS will most likely not be working, plus in my opinion it would be a mistake to count on a battery powered electronic device. Post SHTF isn't going to be like a weekend camping trip. Learn to snare small game rather than shooting, to avoide bringing unwanted attention to yourself. Catch fish using just a hook and line, learn to make a fish or crawfish trap. Live on the water that you find on the way. Learn what works and what doesn't work so you can re-pack your BOB according to the results of this trip.
A real emergency is the wrong time to find out how everything, and everyone performs. Just my 2 cents.

Very true! we have made trips by horse back many time to our BOL, we also know how long it would take to walk to it and whats needed along the way, Luckily we have items already at the BOL but in an off chance we are unable or by chance our BOL is no longer safe our bags would sustain us till we get to point B or even if we couldn't get to any of our BOLs reason we have a cache setup at certain points, we take nothing for granted here. The BOLs and the cache isn't just for SHTF, the Wife and I, kids and grandkids are always out on hikes, camps and hunts, the BOLs and cache is just an insurance policy against most anything.

I like the idea of staging supplies along your expected bug out routes. We just moved to our BOL last week, but due to the time of year we can't build there yet. Our BOL is about 20 miles from town (pop 800). For practice I plan to hike from town to our BOL and back to town sometime this winter. I'll take an overland route to avoide any roads or people. Once I determine the best route I'll stash some supplies along the route later this spring. While it's easy to live off the land, if I'm in a hurry I may not want to take time to hunt or fish.

In our cache, we have 4qts of water in 1qt mason jars, we canned the water just like our garden veggies also in the cache salt, sugar, hardtack crackers, dried cranberries, honey, freeze dry coffee and tea, 4 cheap emergency blankets and ponchos, SS cup, polar iodine water purification, compass, map of the area, 395' #12 bank line, folding knife, 10yrd duck tape, small non perishable content first aid, emergency fishing kit and fire starting gear, this stuff would last over 10yrs, all sealed in vacuum packed bags except the water, all is placed in a sealed container with oxygen absorbers and buried.

cache.JPG

As I mentioned above, I converted my lights from AA to AAA. I wanted all smaller lightweight light's utilizing the smaller batteries (none exotic batteries) for my bags.

The Bag: The Specialty Group -Leaders PKT Set
Bag loaded with lights and batteries.
bag.JPG

Black Diamond Storm - 4 AAA
Streamlight 66118 Stylus Pro - 2 AAA
Streamlight 66318 MicroStream - 1 AAA
Fenix E01 - 1 AAA
25 AAA Batteries
lighting.JPG

i have cvs,kodak,energizer,vivitar vpower and rayovac..in which their all rechargeable..only d's i have are in flashlights and lanterns.so i need more of them.i dont have anything that use c's..so i keep AA's in that one..

2016-02-05 001.JPG

Definitely a good idea going with good brand batteries. Learned my lesson the hard way with cheaper ones.

Absolutely! in the past I was Duracell fan then quality control took a nose dive causing me to lose some good lights and radio's then I noticed where the battery was manufactured (china) and when I gone with the American made Duracell's I was having a similar problem as I was having with the chinese made batteries (leakage) so buyers beware!

I started using Energizers back in 2008 and haven't had a problem though during the holidays most of the big box stores including Home Depot run sales on energizer, beware that most of these sales are with Singapore made Energizers Though I haven't had issues with these Singapore made Energizers batteries I'm just not sold on using them in bags. I emailed Energizer and they assured me the manufacturing process is exactly the same in both the US and Singapore and that the material and components come from the same place, they also stated that dead batteries wouldn't leak 2 years beyond it's usage date printed on the battery, I have yet to hear back from Duracell.

Problem batteries I have had issues with regarding leakage, AAA, AA, 9v, 6v, C and D cells;
Duracell batteries (made in the US/Canada/china) for me this started back in 2008
Kirkland brand batteries (Assembled in the US) the worst leakers I ever ran across *possibly Duracell rejects
Amazon batteries (most made in Indonesia/china)
Radio Shack Enercell batteries (made in Indonesia/china) This is one battery brand that pissed me off the most
Rayoac batteries (made in the US)
Eveready batteries (made in the US/china) Eveready is owned by Energizer

I recommend Energizer US made for the B.O.B./I.N.C.H. bags, look on the back of the battery packaging
IMG_2387.JPG

I emphasized in the past our first aid kits is just as valuable as water and food thus the reason I don't purchase pre-packaged first aid kits, We purchase bulk supplies then build our own FAKs though the problem is finding the right bag that adds some form of organization while keeping it compact as possible... I still haven't found the right bag but had an old one here at home that was suitable for the FAK.

FAK/Trauma for our bags, the FAK goes in Lisa bag while the Trauma kit is on the outside of my bag, detailed content listings below.

Trauma kit

Condor Rip-Away EMT Pouch
1) Battle Dressing Compression Bandage
1) Celox Rapid z-fold
2) NAR S-Rolled Gauze (compressed) 4.5"x4.1yds
1) 1 set entry/exit Hyfin Vent Chest Seal w/valve
1) CAT Tourniquet W/ molle Tourniquet holster
1) ARS 14 g. 3 1/4 Decompression Needle
1) Nasopharyngeal Airway
2) NAR Bear Claw Gloves
1) 1"x10yrds first aid tape
1) 2" Self Adhesive wrap
1) 2"x50" duct tape (Gorilla)
1) EMT and Trauma Shears
1) Hemostat
1) Streamlight 66318 MicroStream (1AAA) w/ 2 AAA bats.
1) Triangular Bandage
1) Emergency Blanket
4) Antiseptic Wipe
3) hand wipes
1) Sharpie

FAK

CASE
10"wx8"hx5"d (3 zipper compartments)

3) NAR Bear Claw Gloves
1) Wound Irrigation Set
3) 3m disposable thermometers
1) Chap Stick
1) bug repellent pump spray
1) Mini Tweezers
1) EMT and Trauma Shears
1) Hemostat
4) Safety Pins
1) 2"x50" duct tape (gorilla)
1) 2" Self Adhesive wrap
2) 1"x10yrds first aid tape
6) 3/4"x6" Tongue Depressors
20) Cotton Tip Applicator
1) Triangular Bandage
1) 2" Ace Bandage

MINOR WOUNDS
sheer strips Band-Aid brand
2) 1 3/4"x4"
30) 1"x3"
10) 5/8"x2 1/4"
10) 3/4"x3"
5) 7/8"x7/8"
fabric strips Band-Aid brand
5) 1 3/4"x4"
5) 3/4"x3"
tough strips Band-Aid brand
5) 1"x3 1/4"
water block strips Band-Aid brand
5) 3/4"x2"
10) 1"x2 1/2"
Curad Classic
24) 3/4"x3" strips
30) 3/8"x1 5/8" strips
3) 1 1/2"x3" butterfly
13) 3/8"x1 3/4" closure
1) 2 1/8"x2 5/8" Eye Pad

BLEEDING
1) 25g QuikClot
1) 4.5"x4.1yds Z-Pak gauze
1) 4.5"x4.1yds NAR compressed gauze
1) 5"x9" ABD trauma pads
4) 4"x4" 2-pack Sterile Gauze Dressing
6) 3"X3" Sterile Gauze Pads
3) 3"x4" Adaptic Non-Adherent Dressing
1) SWAT-T

FOOT CARE
3) 4 5/8"x3 3/8" Moleskin
6) 2"x3" Moleskin
4) 2"x3" Molefoam
6) Tincture of Benzoin

MEDICATION
20) Acetaminophen 500MG
20) Ibuprofen 200MG
20) *Ibuprofen 800MG
20) Diphenhydramine HCI 25 MG
20) Aspirin uncoated (NSAID) 325MG
20) Ranitidine 150mg
20) Loperamide Hydrochloride 2MG
20) Guaifenesin 400MG
20) Dramamine 50MG
20) Pepto-Bismol Chewables
2) Oral Rehydration Salts WHO Formula 5-liters

WOUND/PREP CARE
6) Povidone Iodine Ointment
6) Antibiotic Ointment
6) 1% Hydrocortisone Cream
10) Anti-Itch Gel
10) Sting Relief Wipes
10) Triple Antibiotic ointment
10) Povidone PVP Iodine Wipe
10) Alcohol Antiseptic Wipe
1) .5fl oz Off Explore bite/itch relief pump spray

BURNS
1) 4"x4" Water-Jel Military Burn Dressings
1) 8"x18" Water-Jel Military Burn Dressings
1) H&H Super Combat Sterile Cravat/Burn Dressing
1) 2"x3" 2nd Skin Moist burn pads
3) 3.5grams BurnX

FAK.jpg

1.jpg

Last edited:
Here's the basics of my kit:

Shelter:
1 large tarp
Kelty Cosmic Down 20 degree [it doesn't get much colder than that here]
thermarest ground pad
Rain poncho
paracord

Fire:
2 lighters
magnesium striker
a small baggy of vaseline-soaked cotton balls

Food/Cooking:
A small wood gasifier stove
A titanium pot with lid
some fishing line for snares in my sewing kit
Half a sponge
A small piece of a camp towel
The ability to weave a fish-catching basket with vines, which are abundant here
I also keep a small jar of peanut butter in there, and some ramen noodles in my bag, and know a lot about what is edible in my area

Water:
2 1-liter platypus bottles
lifestraw
Polar Pure water treatment
backup water treatment drops [I don't know how long I'll be out!]

Hygiene/First Aid kit with the works, including but not limited to:
Gauze, lots
moleskin
bandaids
antibiotics
antibiotic ointment
ace bandage
bandage tape
toothpaste, toothbrush, tiny amount of camp soap
immodium, benadryl, pepto, asprin, ibuprofen, tylenol
alcohol wipes
various other stuff I know is in there but can't think of without opening it up

Clothing:
2 pairs merino wool socks
1 pair silk toe socks
1 pair synthetic wicking socks
[dry socks are SO important to me]
1 underarmor long sleeve shirt

Misc:
small trowel, lightweight
duct tape wrapped around trowel handle
sewing kit with fishing line added, kevlar thread
Tiny seed bank with heirloom seeds, 20-30 seeds each, less for squash and big seeds
Road and terrain map of my state
compass
knife

But mine is more a bug out bag than an INCH bag, as the second shtf, I'm heading for the family farm, and I know I'll probably have to ditch the car if I don't get out fast enough. Traffic here gets backed up fast in an emergency.

Not in my bag, but hanging near it:
- a 3a bulletproof vest
- my gas mask with 2 filters, which will get me out of the city

Then of course, I plan on packing my gun and as many rounds as I can reasonably carry in case of lawlessness, and because I'm fairly small and probably can't take too many people down in a fair fight

minus the gun and rounds, but with food and water I'm at about 25lbs thanks to lightweight gear.

My partner's bag has different things, but I don't have a good inventory of it, it's pretty similar to mine, though he hasn't sprung for a bulletproof vest yet, and isn't as redundant with water. He carries better snares than I do, and more/different knives including a machete, less cooking equipment, and his own sleeping bag/tarp.

Then of course, I plan on packing my gun and as many rounds as I can reasonably carry in case of lawlessness, and because I'm fairly small and probably can't take too many people down in a fair fight

minus the gun and rounds, but with food and water I'm at about 25lbs thanks to lightweight gear.

My partner's bag has different things, but I don't have a good inventory of it, it's pretty similar to mine, though he hasn't sprung for a bulletproof vest yet, and isn't as redundant with water. He carries better snares than I do, and more/different knives including a machete, less cooking equipment, and his own sleeping bag/tarp.

About the only thing that will force me off the property is wildland forest fire, war or the two volcanoes that flank me thus if we have to leave it's going to be severe enough I want something that's more than a B.O.B.

BTW, nice list Johnson.

Yeah. I might have missed it, but did you include seeds? If you're starting over somewhere it'll be good to have, I just have some heirloom tomatoes, kale, beans, squash, beets, peppers, things like that, for starting over elsewhere if the farm is compromised.

Yeah. I might have missed it, but did you include seeds? If you're starting over somewhere it'll be good to have, I just have some heirloom tomatoes, kale, beans, squash, beets, peppers, things like that, for starting over elsewhere if the farm is compromised.

those items are at the BOL, not carrying in the bags, no need too for my situation

Shelter:
1 large tarp
Kelty Cosmic Down 20 degree [it doesn't get much colder than that here]
thermarest ground pad
Rain poncho
paracord

Fire:
2 lighters
magnesium striker
a small baggy of vaseline-soaked cotton balls

Food/Cooking:
A small wood gasifier stove
A titanium pot with lid
some fishing line for snares in my sewing kit
Half a sponge
A small piece of a camp towel
The ability to weave a fish-catching basket with vines, which are abundant here
I also keep a small jar of peanut butter in there, and some ramen noodles in my bag, and know a lot about what is edible in my area

Water:
2 1-liter platypus bottles
lifestraw
Polar Pure water treatment
backup water treatment drops [I don't know how long I'll be out!]

Hygiene/First Aid kit with the works, including but not limited to:
Gauze, lots
moleskin
bandaids
antibiotics
antibiotic ointment
ace bandage
bandage tape
toothpaste, toothbrush, tiny amount of camp soap
immodium, benadryl, pepto, asprin, ibuprofen, tylenol
alcohol wipes
various other stuff I know is in there but can't think of without opening it up

Clothing:
2 pairs merino wool socks
1 pair silk toe socks
1 pair synthetic wicking socks
[dry socks are SO important to me]
1 underarmor long sleeve shirt

Misc:
small trowel, lightweight
duct tape wrapped around trowel handle
sewing kit with fishing line added, kevlar thread
Tiny seed bank with heirloom seeds, 20-30 seeds each, less for squash and big seeds
Road and terrain map of my state
compass
knife

But mine is more a bug out bag than an INCH bag, as the second shtf, I'm heading for the family farm, and I know I'll probably have to ditch the car if I don't get out fast enough. Traffic here gets backed up fast in an emergency.

Not in my bag, but hanging near it:
- a 3a bulletproof vest
- my gas mask with 2 filters, which will get me out of the city

Divide set to battle and utilitarian placing it in different backpacks. In an emergency, it will shorten the response time to time depending on the situation. The body armor is better to fasten to the backpack with tactical gear.

Re-adjusted the the total weight including food and water, the total weight (minus firearm and ammo) is 43lb 7oz
Ammo is a tough one. It's heavy as hell. If you ever have to resort to just what you can carry then you better shoot sparingly. I am really glad to have consolidated my pistol with the carbine caliber. The problem is I really would not want to not have the 5.56. Do they make a pistol in 223 or 5.56?

Ammo is a tough one. It's heavy as hell. If you ever have to resort to just what you can carry then you better shoot sparingly. I am really glad to have consolidated my pistol with the carbine caliber. The problem is I really would not want to not have the 5.56. Do they make a pistol in 223 or 5.56?

Why do some in our community carry WAR loads of ammo when in reality they need only one or two mags to help them get outta trouble, the rest of the ammo can be cached at home or around your AOO or in your vehicle. I admit to being baffled by the often confrontation approach to being armed by some folks. Most of us will if lucky have a member of family around to share dealing with an issue but many folks appear to think they are going into battle against the Mongol Hordes.

https://www.cheaperthandirt.com/cat.../semi-automatic/223-remington-and-556-nato.do

Personally I would go for a 9mm or 40 cal pistol and carbine combo, a 16 inch barrel on a carbine is highly effective, but not a war fighting round. Troops often carry about 250 rounds of 7.62 /308 or 400/500 of 223/ 5.56 if they are determined , fit and looking to fight a battle, they could carry 600 rounds of plus P pistol / carbine ammo if so minded.

Being ex Brit LI I like to travel and carry light so five or six mags of 5.56 was a full load in the knowledge I had fellow troops also carrying similar loads. But as a Civilian I would probably only carry between three or four mags of Carbine ammo ready for use. I would do my damndest to avoid a gun battle against hostiles if I was on my own or only had my son with me. And what sort of Geography do you intend to live in cos if its heavily forested many ammo sizes are wasted in woodland at anything over carbine / shotgun ranges.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back