Other people’s lists.

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EastenerWesterner

A True Doomsday Prepper
VIP Supporter
Reaction score
I came across this list on gab the other day. Looked at it and tried to compare it what I know 2 of us go through in a year. Remember this list is for 1 person.
1st item Rice, 2 of us go through 50lbs in 3 years.
2nd flour still working on a year later on 25 lbs.
Spaghetti 36 lbs 20 has lasted us a year and a half
36 boxes of Mac and cheese, ok a year (I need quick meals when she is late)
48 cans of fruit cocktail? I can remember the last time I had fruit cocktail.

Just throwing this out there. To me it seem like a 3 year plan for 2 people. Its not a single person for a year.
F60A003A-413A-4CD6-8FB9-374620B30105.jpeg

Thoughts?

Needless to say, the costs are now so much higher than listed above. I’ve always used this calculator in addition to adding other supplies to it.

Enter number of family members here:​

Number of family members, Ages 7+
Number of family members, Ages 0-6

Your family will need for one year:​

Grains
Wheatlbs
*Flourlbs
Corn Meallbs
Oatslbs
Ricelbs
Pastalbs
Total Grainslbs
Fats and Oils
Fatslbs
Oilsgal
Mayonnaiseqts
Salad Dressingqts
Peanut Butterlbs
Legumes
Beans, drylbs
Lima Beanslbs
Soy Beanslbs
Split Peaslbs
Lentilslbs
Dry Soup Mixlbs
Total Legumeslbs

Cooking Essentials
Baking Powderlbs
Baking Sodalbs
Yeastlbs
Saltlbs
Vinegargal
Water
**Watergal
Bleachgal

Sugars
Honey lbs
Sugar lbs
Brown Sugar lbs
Molasses lbs
Corn Syrup lbs
Jams lbs
Fruit Drink, powdered lbs
Flavored Gelatin lbs
Total Sugars lbs

Milk
Powdered Milklbs
Evaporated Milkcans
Otherlbs
Total Dairylbs

Link to use the calculator..

https://www.familysurvivalplanning.com/food-storage-calculator.html

I came across this list on gab the other day. Looked at it and tried to compare it what I know 2 of us go through in a year. Remember this list is for 1 person.

Just throwing this out there. To me it seem like a 3 year plan for 2 people. Its not a single person for a year. View attachment 19404

Thoughts?

You have to factor in all the food your eating when not at home. Is that another 5%? 25%

Those lists are never helpful for me because my diet is so strict. I don't store primarily pre-made meals. I store some but concentrate on the raw ingredients.

I think the vastly underestimated their grits and oatmeal, but where are their whole oats, corn, and such?

And only 24 cans of chicken?? I don't even eat chicken much and that isn't enough for us. That means these folks will be eating chicken twice a month.

I think other peoples' lists are almost useless. The only lists that are super helpful are the ones that tell how much of certain foods are in a serving (like the amount of wheat berries to make a loaf of bread).

Those lists are never helpful for me because my diet is so strict. I don't store primarily pre-made meals. I store some but concentrate on the raw ingredients.

I think the vastly underestimated their grits and oatmeal, but where are their whole oats, corn, and such?

And only 24 cans of chicken?? I don't even eat chicken much and that isn't enough for us. That means these folks will be eating chicken twice a month.

I think other peoples' lists are almost useless. The only lists that are super helpful are the ones that tell how much of certain foods are in a serving (like the amount of wheat berries to make a loaf of bread).

You definitely have to modify it and customize it for your group.

The calculator I use is all raw ingredients. It is very similar to the LDS list, which I’ve used along with the one above. I’ve added a lot more corn, oats and rice to mine.

Just throwing this out there. To me it seem like a 3 year plan for 2 people. Its not a single person for a year. View attachment 19404

Thoughts?
Think I would make cheese whiz to can up out of those 3 boxes of Velveeta. Breaks it down to more meal manageable recipes and a longer shelf life.

As for flour, 50lbs is really not that much for a year. One person yeah, maybe but I would up the amount. Think of all that is made with flour that you buy at the store on a weekly basis. Bread is my first thought. When I make yeast type bread, I use anywhere between 4-5 cups depending on what I am making. Just for tortillas is 3 cups. And then if want a special cake brownie whatever as a treat it adds up quickly.

We can all do tweeks to our tastes. I just it was thought it was overall more than 1 person for one year. More like 2 for 3 years. And I eat a lot.

I am kinda anal about rotation (maybe because I sold potato chips) Everytime I take a look at stock, I have added another 6 months on.

pepper, sugar, syrup, peanut butter, jam, jelly, spices or boullion for the rice and noodles, ketchup, mustard, mayonaise, dry-rub or wet BBQ, onions&garlic or powder/dried of these.
Ketchup and mayonnaise start to turn brownish after expiration, so I would have on hand ingredients to make yourself. Chickens of coarse but even if you have extra canned tomatoes to make ketchup good for you. I honestly think mustard may keep forever or maybe I just don’t use it enough. Totally agree with seasonings. That will be crucial for making all that bland rice and pasta taste better if that is all you have left.

As for flour, 50lbs is really not that much for a year. One person yeah, maybe but I would up the amount. Think of all that is made with flour that you buy at the store on a weekly basis. Bread is my first thought. When I make yeast type bread, I use anywhere between 4-5 cups depending on what I am making. Just for tortillas is 3 cups. And then if want a special cake brownie whatever as a treat it adds up quickly.
Flour is a good point. Got the 25lb because she loves her bread. Got her to use her bread maker and now She has about 5 types of flour in the pantry.

Since EasternerWesterner's list 48 cans of Sloppy Joe Mix is assuming you have ground beef? In a SHTF situation, maybe. I have it frozen, canned, dehydrated, but I also need to freeze dry. Unless you have something to put with it, I would say Sloppy Joe mix is useless. Please chime in guys if you have another use. Maybe to flavor pasta or rice??

Since EasternerWesterner's list 48 cans of Sloppy Joe Mix is assuming you have ground beef? In a SHTF situation, maybe. I have it frozen, canned, dehydrated, but I also need to freeze dry. Unless you have something to put with it, I would say Sloppy Joe mix is useless. Please chime in guys if you have another use. Maybe to flavor pasta or rice??
I caught onto that one too. Its a list I saw and thought it would be a good topic.
I remember coming back from Boy Scout camp and telling my parents how good chili was on rice. They tried it on us. Don’t think I ever got served plain chili again.
Wasn‘t that they liked it that way. It was they could stretch the chili with the rice just like the camp did.

Maybe the sloppy joe mix is the substitute for spices. I know my bug out trailer has a boot box with 2oz jars of spices. My wife doesn’t like to be without.

Latest posts

Back