Opinions please from US South Westers

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Silent Earth

A True Doomsday Prepper
Reaction score
Sorry if this is in the wrong place I cannot make my mind up if this is a natural disaster or man made.

Do my American friends consider this growing water issue a survival issue, I believe there is already major water issues on the Great Plains due to over extraction of the Oghalla Aquifer (spl?) Theres water issues in Nevada with Lake Meade reaching record lows, Water problems in SW KS because SE Co is hogging all the water. so now we find this very long prolonged drought affecting southern CA.

May I enquire as to how you chaps seeing this play out and the long term consequences to your country, and any risks for preppers?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-30052290

i would move to a different state if i was living in one of them..mainly california..a person always need water in one way or another no matter what.there's at least 1 or 2 Aquifer's where i live.so im good to go when it comes to that.but going with the needed well is the issue for me when it comes to that.pluss there's 3 ponds.and 2 creeks here,in which 1 of them is spring fed by a underground spring year round..

California is returning to normal so is it really a drought? though the problem in California is certainly man made! Californians got complacent in the unusually wet 20th century. The water is why I prep where I am at so yes, water is first and foremost a primary factor in decision making.

i think its partly drought related..but yet mostly mankind taking in WAY too much water every year..and that includes lakes reservoirs and Aquifers,as well as other sources of water that they have on hand

What exactly did you THINK would happen when you build big cities in the desert?o_O
I don't know Sir that's why I am asking you chaps :) I personally would expect desertification to occur but I know historically The Egyptians manage to thrive in a desert and Israel is getting by, and from my own history how the British converted the arid scrubland of Rhodesia 300 years ago into the breadbasket of Africa tells me many issues can be overcome.

So as for this drought etc in the US and knowing just how good you folks are at overcoming adversity and geographical problems. I'm trying to learn about this issue from you guys who actually live with droughts, desertification, building in deserts etc because (A) it fascinates me how good Americans are at overcoming problems and (B) This (below) is the issues that we Brits normally have to contend with in comparison.
http://www.express.co.uk/news/nature/536136/UK-weather-latest-Britain-flood-wet-winter-30-years

California is returning to normal so is it really a drought? though the problem in California is certainly man made! Californians got complacent in the unusually wet 20th century. The water is why I prep where I am at so yes, water is first and foremost a primary factor in decision making.

This is absolutely 100% fascinating, its something almost totally alien to me over here in the UK, generally and apart from rare occasional droughts our main issues with water are those involved in to much of it falling on us, So on UK prepping forums when we chat about looking for suitable places to live one of the highest priorities is to ensure we don't live in historical flood plains or where land slips and undercutting occurs.

Most of the coastal countries in the middle are extracting water from the ocean now because of the population explosion, California is talking about doing the same but environmentalist have been fighting the state for sometime. The aquifers rely heavily on snow pack but much of the melt off is diverted to aqueduct and piping to groundwater reservoirs and water storage and delivery facilities never having the time to naturally seep into the aquifers, if California isn't able to extract from the oceans then the state is going to have to make a decision the 'population or agriculture' not both.

Hmmm, what we get far to blooming often is after a Hurricane has beaten up your east coast the bugger drifts across the Atlantic and dumps the rest of its rain on us, its like El Nino every other year at times :).

I don't know Sir that's why I am asking you chaps :) I personally would expect desertification to occur but I know historically The Tactical Sh*t is manage to thrive in a desert and Israel is getting by, and from my own history how the British converted the arid scrubland of Rhodesia 300 years ago into the breadbasket of Africa tells me many issues can be overcome.

So as for this drought etc in the US and knowing just how good you folks are at overcoming adversity and geographical problems. I'm trying to learn about this issue from you guys who actually live with droughts, desertification, building in deserts etc because (A) it fascinates me how good Americans are at overcoming problems and (B) This (below) is the issues that we Brits normally have to contend with in comparison.
http://www.express.co.uk/news/nature/536136/UK-weather-latest-Britain-flood-wet-winter-30-years

if i remember right.it was the Egyptians that rerouted the nile.they not only rerouted it,but yet they made it wider and deepr then needed to when it comes to makeing sure that they not only have ample supply of water..but to transport sandstone/marble to where they built their homes and pyramids as well..so as the saying goes...WE CAN learn from our history..

I don't know Sir that's why I am asking you chaps :) I personally would expect desertification to occur but I know historically The Egyptians manage to thrive in a desert and Israel is getting by

Egypt has the Nile. Two miles wide with a discharge rate of 100,000 cu ft/s. No rivers anywhere close to that in California. Israel has invested heavily in desalination plants. The envirowackos in California say they need more environmental impact studies before they can build desalination plants. They have way more people in some areas than their local natural resources can support already, and they are throwing out the welcome mat for illegal aliens to swell the population even more. The "fruits and nuts" in California apparently have a suicide pact.

I know the UK is tiny compared with the US and so distances and costs are much less but over here they are gradually trying to create a national grid made up from natural rivers, tunnels and pipelines and canals so water can ne moved around the country as necessary ( that's political talk for syphoning off the regions water to waste on London) Is there any plans afoot to ship water from your wetter and more northern states down to the SW ?

I know the UK is tiny compared with the US and so distances and costs are much less but over here they are gradually trying to create a national grid made up from natural rivers, tunnels and pipelines and canals so water can ne moved around the country as necessary ( that's political talk for syphoning off the regions water to waste on London) Is there any plans afoot to ship water from your wetter and more northern states down to the SW ?

back in the late 80s and 90s californina tried to force oregon and washington's share the columbian river with california, both states told cali to go get f___

:) I an understand that sentiment, I remember reading in the late 80s Kansas and Oklahoma threatening all sorts of hell to Colorado if they did not stop sucking the Canadian and Red rivers dry before they crossed the border :)

In Egypt, the Nile was there for water. In Israel, again, you'll see settlements on the water. The Middle East in general, uses desalinization, but then again, they can typically afford it (and/or don't have other options).

Cannot help but think about some Comedian on US TV late one night doing a mock breaking news report that went something like
" The San Andreas has let rip tonight, California is now twinned with Atlantis , most of the state has been submerged news reports from across the rest of the union report mass celebrations breaking out" : )

In Egypt, the Nile was there for water. In Israel, again, you'll see settlements on the water. The Middle East in general, uses desalinization, but then again, they can typically afford it (and/or don't have other options).
Sure I read recently that the Israelis are looking somewhat enviously at an aquifer under one of the bordering neighbours states.

Latest posts

Back