Opinion wanted: Canning chicken

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chicknladee

Reaction score
I have an opportunity to buy a large quantity of chicken breasts and I want to can them. However, I've never canned chicken (or any meat for that matter) and wonder if I should can in pints or quarts. I am just canning for hubby and I. I figure I can get about 1lb in a pint or 2lb in a quart...for normal everyday cooking I suppose quarts would work because I could refrigerate leftovers...but for a SHTF situation, leftovers could be a waste if I couldn't refrigerate them. I suppose a mix of quarts and pints would be best but your opinions would be appreciated!

I have an opportunity to buy a large quantity of chicken breasts and I want to can them. However, I've never canned chicken (or any meat for that matter) and wonder if I should can in pints or quarts. I am just canning for hubby and I. I figure I can get about 1lb in a pint or 2lb in a quart...for normal everyday cooking I suppose quarts would work because I could refrigerate leftovers...but for a SHTF situation, leftovers could be a waste if I couldn't refrigerate them. I suppose a mix of quarts and pints would be best but your opinions would be appreciated!

My mum has a similar experience, just her and dad now, and says to definitely go the pint jars if they are chicken only. No leftovers needing refrigeration, no guessing if a quart of chicken will do one, one and a half or two meals. You know exactly what your stocktake is. Also, if they are chicken meals in a jar, do them as quarts. Such as chicken layered soup, it's layers of corn, potatoes, carrots, green beans, onions, chicken and stock bottled together. You will have something that can be eaten straight from the jar if necessary, or reheated, poured on rice, or such. Very yummy and not hard at all. Good luck with the canning! Hope this helps a little :)

My mum has a similar experience, just her and dad now, and says to definitely go the pint jars if they are chicken only. No leftovers needing refrigeration, no guessing if a quart of chicken will do one, one and a half or two meals. You know exactly what your stocktake is. Also, if they are chicken meals in a jar, do them as quarts. Such as chicken layered soup, it's layers of corn, potatoes, carrots, green beans, onions, chicken and stock bottled together. You will have something that can be eaten straight from the jar if necessary, or reheated, poured on rice, or such. Very yummy and not hard at all. Good luck with the canning! Hope this helps a little :)
Heather, I like the idea of one jar meals. I saw someone posted a book on cokking with preserved foods elsewhere here. Might have to work on this aspect!

I do most of our meat in pints, I do put whole rabbits in quart jars though. Pints just give you a nice 1 pound amount for a dish.

I do mine in pint sized jars if it is meat only. If it is a meal, like veggetable beef soup, ect. I will can in quart sized jars. It is really a preferance on how much you use in a recipe and how many you are feeding. Right now it is only hubby and I, but when the time comes, I will be feeding 13 people. But like said before, I can always open more jars when needed and still not waste any.

Chicken can be sold very cheap by the pound. . .49cent here. . .sometimes I can find it 29 cent. Take advantage when you can. Normally these are sold in 10 lb bags and max is 2 bags. Normally I will divide oe bag and can the other for the meat and broth. If you do this you will have a chicklen surplus in no time. I use xhixkwn broth in so many recipes. If I have to make a "special" mashed potatoes, I will boil my potatoes in chicken broth since it makes an addition flavor. I also add in carrots and onioins along with fresh dill, salt and pepper.

I do mine in pint sized jars if it is meat only. If it is a meal, like veggetable beef soup, ect. I will can in quart sized jars. It is really a preferance on how much you use in a recipe and how many you are feeding. Right now it is only hubby and I, but when the time comes, I will be feeding 13 people. But like said before, I can always open more jars when needed and still not waste any.
Also when I can soup, I boil it down so it is very, very, very, very concentrated. I'm like Danil, I can soup in quarts. When we open a can (jar) of soup I can add two cans(jars) of water and it comes out perfect. In fact we opened a jar last night that was canned 02/13/07. It was as good as the day I canned it. If you can it right, it's good for many yrs. Also we have milk that has been canned for over 4 yrs. I have to can the milk when the family is not here and hide it behind other stuff. They drink it faster than I can it.

Chicken can be sold very cheap by the pound. . .49cent here. . .sometimes I can find it 29 cent. Take advantage when you can. Normally these are sold in 10 lb bags and max is 2 bags. Normally I will divide oe bag and can the other for the meat and broth. If you do this you will have a chicklen surplus in no time. I use xhixkwn broth in so many recipes. If I have to make a "special" mashed potatoes, I will boil my potatoes in chicken broth since it makes an addition flavor. I also add in carrots and onioins along with fresh dill, salt and pepper.
Damn Danil, you are making me hungry.

now im hungry..and here it is bed time.. ;)
I'm ready for bed but my better half has to work until 12:00. She is the only phlobotomise for the whole hosp. tonight. I will wait for her to get off before I go to bed. Thats if I can keep my eyes open that long.

I also can up my older laying hens. There's not much meat on them, but dang it, I hate to waste it and they do can up tender. I will cut them up and can the breasts together, legs, thighs and toss the rest into the stock pot for the stock.

yeah.by all means.explain
Well JimLE and Chicknladee, the way I can my milk is put WHOLE milk in qt. jars and put the jars into the pressure canner cold. I put 3qts. tap water in the canner and turn the heat on med. low for 15 min. Then I turnup the heat to med. high until the pressure reaches 10lbs. If you want the milk to taste more normal leave it at 10lbs. for 3min.. I leave mine for 5 to 10min. The longer you leave it, the more it taste like reg. can milk. Then turn the heat off and let the canner pressure down. Remove the jars and store. Don't put the cold milk in hot water in the canner or they will bust. If you have any more questions, please feel free to ask. The question is free, the answer will cost you.LMAO

Latest posts

Back