One Second After

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ElGuapo

Reaction score
This is a really good book a must read. Scariest book I have ever read

New York Times best selling author William R. Forstchen now brings us a story which can be all too terrifyingly real...a story in which one man struggles to save his family and his small North Carolina town after America loses a war, in one second, a war that will send America back to the Dark Ages...A war based upon a weapon, an Electro Magnetic Pulse (EMP). A weapon that may already be in the hands of our enemies.

Months before publication, One Second After has already been cited on the floor of Congress as a book all Americans should read, a book already being discussed in the corridors of the Pentagon as a truly realistic look at a weapon and its awesome power to destroy the entire United States, literally within one second. It is a weapon that the Wall Street Journal warns could shatter America. In the tradition of On the Beach, Fail Safe and Testament, this book, set in a typical American town, is a dire warning of what might be our future...and our end.
http://www.amazon.com/One-Second-After-William-Forstchen/dp/0765356864

Just started reading Patriots: A Novel of Survival in the Coming Collapse i will check that one out when i am done with this book

Months before publication, One Second After has already been cited on the floor of Congress as a book all Americans should read, a book already being discussed in the corridors of the Pentagon as a truly realistic look at a weapon and its awesome power to destroy the entire United States, literally within one second. It is a weapon that the Wall Street Journal warns could shatter America. In the tradition of On the Beach, Fail Safe and Testament, this book, set in a typical American town, is a dire warning of what might be our future...and our end.
http://www.amazon.com/One-Second-After-William-Forstchen/dp/0765356864

HAHAHA, congress says we should read it!? I'm sure PhoenixPreppin would be happy to know they encourage prepping. Sorry, I'm still a little tweaked after having just read his tread that they condemed his land and blew up his preps.

Does sound like a cool book. I will have to check it out.

Who wrote "Life as We Knew It"? I would love to get that book. I read "One Second After" and it brought me to tears. To think that our country, the one we love so much, can be destroyed so easily.

I'll ask my kidlet, we've read the trilogy, they are excellent books.

I have ZERO doubt that both Russia and the US have such a weapon. It certainly is within their tech range, both in nuclear ability and in delivery capability. It is also within China's realm of possibility, so that wouldn't surprise me either. Doubtful for anyone else though, except maybe the UK. It is amazing how vulnerable our grid is though, which is why I think regardless of the SHTF event, grid loss will be part of it (along with the inevitable meltdown of the nuke plants).

The US/NATO military superiority over the all world is certain. If someone's gonna attack this alliance will have very very bad time and no president wants to die.

They would like us to think that, at least. There are people in this world who don't mind dying and think that they will be assured virgins in their new life...sound familiar?

Good book, based on historical precedents and some pretty accurate science. If nothing else, it is good food for thought. I think the after-effects of the EMP blasts were exaggerated somewhat, but we've known about the dangers of high altitude nuclear EMPs since 1962.

Here is the Wikipedia page on "Starfish Prime", a high altitude nuclear blast (1.4 MegaTon at 250 miles) that destroyed one third of the low orbit satellites, shut down a telephone microwave link and knocked out 300 street lights in Hawaii 900 miles from the detonation point.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Starfish_Prime

We were not nearly as vulnerable then as we are now.

Was able to get a free copy at Amazon a few weeks ago. Am currently reading it. Seems to be a nice read. I like the Writer's style

Been researching the hell out of Faraday boxes. Because I never just believe what I'm told. I generally research a lot. And then chose the safest bet. Lots of debate about grounding Faraday boxes. And I'm rather certain that it won't hurt to ground them to earth. People say I don't need to... but its not difficult and adds an extra safety feature. Better safe than sorry.

Been researching the hell out of Faraday boxes. Because I never just believe what I'm told. I generally research a lot. And then chose the safest bet. Lots of debate about grounding Faraday boxes. And I'm rather certain that it won't hurt to ground them to earth. People say I don't need to... but its not difficult and adds an extra safety feature. Better safe than sorry.
I have been wanting to build one myself. I have heard using a metal trashcan lined with cardboard is a great way to go.
Anyone else have an idea on this?

Latest posts

Back